Where To Find *isaan-style* Thai Massage In Chiangmai?

Oneman

Where to find Isaan-style, Thai massage in Chiangmai?

I haven't figured out how to explain it, but there's a difference you can feel.

Others looking for the best Thai massage may be interested, too.

In Bangkok, most Thai-massage ladies are from Isaan, so most of my massages there were with the "Isaan touch".

I thought that was normal, until I moved to Chiangmai.

But here, Thai massage has a different flavor.

Most massage ladies all learn the same Wat-Pho style of Thai massage.

But I've noticed that when an Isaan lady does the massage, I feel much more relaxed and limber.

The aches and pains of age disappear, and that's the main attraction of Thai massage for me.

After a year of sampling Thai massage from Chiangmai ladies, I sure do miss the Isaan style that is so common in Bangkok.

Perhaps Isaan ladies tend to be stronger, from years of work in the rice fields.

Perhaps they have some intuition -- passed on from mother to daughter -- about what muscles need deep pressure.

Perhaps ... well, I'm just guessing, because I can't quite explain exactly what it is.

What I'm looking for is a Thai massage shop, where staff is mainly from Isaan.

Or for an Isaan lady who does free-lance massage (send that in a PM).

Age and looks are not important.

(Please, genuine ladies only, not some "diversity".)

I will appreciate any suggestions.

And, as always, I welcome PM or email to discuss.

Thank you.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Note: This is not a request for sexy massage (although Isaan-style gets my vote there, too).

We can't discuss that on Thai Visa, and that's not my purpose in this post.

Edited by Oneman

I preferred the massages in Koh Samui to Chiang Mai overall. The women in Koh Samui we're nearly all from Isaan, whereas here most seem to be local. I have only been up north for 20 months but endulge at least twice a week, so I have tried a wide range but not all the places yet. I can't put my finger on why I preferred Samui but there's definately a difference in that I don't feel so invigorated/refreshed after here.

Perhaps some members could put forward their recommended places or are they a closely guarded secret!?

Regards Bojo

A good number of the ladies that work at the massage places set up outdoors at the walking street markets and also some of the girls set up outside on Loi Kroh are from Isaan. Personally I don't like their style of massage as I feel achy afterward. You are right, some are quite strong to say the least. Also I don't like smelling the lao khao on their breath. You might ask around when you see them outside.

Edited by elektrified

Just maybe it's got nothing to do with regional heritage, but everything with hiring a bunch of hilltribe chicks fresh off a mountain for a 100 baht/hour local massage shop, because at those prices you can't really afford people with any kind of experience or training.

So instead of trying to find a person from a particular region, I'd try to change the type of establishment where you go for massages? (Something that's very long running and not a typical tourist place. The Old Medicine Hospital on Wualai comes to mind.)

Just maybe it's got nothing to do with regional heritage, but everything with hiring a bunch of hilltribe chicks fresh off a mountain for a 100 baht/hour local massage shop, because at those prices you can't really afford people with any kind of experience or training.

So instead of trying to find a person from a particular region, I'd try to change the type of establishment where you go for massages? (Something that's very long running and not a typical tourist place. The Old Medicine Hospital on Wualai comes to mind.)

while i think that you unduly discriminate against hilltribe people and regular 100 bt massage shops ,where a lot of the practitioners have not only training but also experience and deliver a good massage-well-that said-i must say that old medicine hospital .which is a little out of the way there just across from the old chiang mai cultural center i think it's called-anway-

old medicine hospital does give a really great massage,just tell them first if you prefer soft or strong .the place is clean too.

it is just 250 for 2 hours and a tip of course.