Chatroom

Harcourt

Oops...I didn't do a keyword search before I posted...oh, well, never mind. It's done now.

How many people would enjoy the ability to have a chatroom, and what's involved as far as the TV development team are concerned?

It seems to me that many posts on the various threads are not intended to be taken seriously and are sub-consciously or consciously merely conversational.

The fact that chatroom conversations are temporary data only should provide a forum where the rules could be viewed with a little less paranoia. (Which is not to say that paranoia isn't warranted with the more permanent and public data of the posted forums).

I'd love to share light-hearted banter with so many of the posters here :) .

Due to the nature of topics here, and the fervent views of some of the members, I would expect controlling the fast moving comments on a chatroom site would require constant attention.....therefore one moderator would be required for refereeing all day and all night....would they not??

Due to the nature of topics here, and the fervent views of some of the members, I would expect controlling the fast moving comments on a chatroom site would require constant attention.....therefore one moderator would be required for refereeing all day and all night....would they not??

Possibly. Does it need constant moderation if the chat disappears after a certain time? If there is a history or archive of the chat, perhaps that is not public domain?

Perhaps deputise a whole bunch of chatroom mods that can only moderate the chatroom? The REAL mods can be pulled in if one of the deputies gets out of control.

The report function is still an option.

]I think that TV's biggest concern is lesse majeste and promotion of illegal activities. When something is promulgated on a publicly viewable message board, these things can be seen to have been promoted or allowed by the forum administration/moderators, and they or TV may be liable....a chatroom is for members only thus technically not "public", and also the content posted in a chatroom rapidly disappears as the chat progresses.

Just some thoughts.

Actually, a number of chat rooms might make sense:

One for the financial elites so they can argue about money matters,

one for the political pundits,

one for the jokesters,

one for the love forlorn, asking for and giving advice,

one just for the ladies,

etc.

etc.

But maybe only one would be practical. Not sure what is needed at the TV operations end.

Edited by Lopburi99

I had forgotten about the disappearing bit.... :)

I understand the need, on some threads you do see people getting upset if there is a branch off topic within the thread, but sometimes the spin off discussion can be more intersting than the topic itself......in a chat room that would be ok.

My reservations, and thoughts on the need for tight control, stem from some of the near the knuckle comments and personal attacks on the regular forum...would they be worse on a chat room board?....I guess we would have to try it and see?.......if possible....

I had forgotten about the disappearing bit.... :)

I understand the need, on some threads you do see people getting upset if there is a branch off topic within the thread, but sometimes the spin off discussion can be more intersting than the topic itself......in a chat room that would be ok.

My reservations, and thoughts on the need for tight control, stem from some of the near the knuckle comments and personal attacks on the regular forum...would they be worse on a chat room board?....I guess we would have to try it and see?.......if possible....

I think it is fair and reasonable for the thread of the chat to have say a 1 hour history, tops.

I expect there would be much more virulent attacks, and mention of taboo subjects.....that's what the Mod Deputies are for. Perhaps the Mod Deputies would have the ability to delete the thread, if it comes to it.

Conversations will not always stay on any particular topic....that's another beauty of a chatroom, the chatters are not constrained to any particular topic.

It would be great to have multiple rooms, but I don't see the need for tightly specified topic rooms..perhaps just vague hints like, "The Lounge", "The Pub", "The Cafe", "The Senior Citizens Resthome Common Room"...whatever :D

I dont know what makes you pathetic punters want to think anyone would want to chat with you. :) Just kidding.

I'm sure I could play a very active part in the chat room....perhaps I could be one of the deputies....."I shot the sheriff.. but I didn't shoot no deputy" springs to mind.

The problem with this whole thing is, not everybody can behave rationally and it could get out of hand very quickly....people should be more like me :D

I havent involved myself in a chat room for a very long time. I always have found theres alot of keyboard heros and wackos lurking around, normally just trying to wind people up.

Anyway each to their own, some people probably like that kind of thing.

It would be good to be able to chat with friends in like a private chat situation where you could invite a number of people into the room to chat, of which could not be viewed by others and would disappear when the room closes. Neat and tidy and you can eliminate those wackos by not inviting them.

I think it is fair and reasonable for the thread of the chat to have say a 1 hour history, tops.

<snip>

It would be great to have multiple rooms, but I don't see the need for tightly specified topic rooms..perhaps just vague hints like, "The Lounge" TD, "The Pub" Arjan, "The Cafe", "The Senior Citizens Resthome Common Room"...whatever :D

Why? 'Harcourt' as all of these

perhaps just vague hints like, "The Lounge" TD, "The Pub" Arjan, "whatever :D

You mentioned are there already, but without a chat room.................. :D or do they have them :) If they do then go for it :D

Yours turly,

Kan Win :D

Actually, a number of chat rooms might make sense:

One for the financial elites so they can argue about money matters,

one for the political pundits,

one for the jokesters,

one for the love forlorn, asking for and giving advice,

one just for the ladies,

etc.

etc.

But maybe only one would be practical. Not sure what is needed at the TV operations end.

good idea,sounds like fun..but whatever you do DO NOT include a "bargirls and sinsod" chatroom!!

the horrendous traffic would probably end up crashing the site and shut down half of LOS net coverage :)

I have brought it up in the mods forum. Please wait for a response from Admin.

Pharrk, I didnt even know the mods had a forum. Wouldnt you love to be a fly on the wall in there. If theres a chalk board up on the wall, I'm betting my name is on it somewhere :) .

Who moderates that forum.......???? :D Ur probably all naked in there, smoking drugs, wife swapping :D

If theres a chalk board up on the wall, I'm betting my name is on it somewhere .

Well it is now that i have brought this thread up. :):D

Well I will be on the goldie in a fortnights time, so make sure your kind to me, okay :D , elsewise the mad guy running around the gold coast yellin out Jockstar is me :D

If theres a chalk board up on the wall, I'm betting my name is on it somewhere .

Well it is now that i have brought this thread up. :):D

Well I will be on the goldie in a fortnights time, so make sure your kind to me, okay :D , elsewise the mad guy running around the gold coast yellin out Jockstar is me :D

Lucky i wont be here then. :D As i'm moving back to Sydney. :D

Anyway just an update. The official response is that there are no plans to bring back the chatroom at this moment. Hope this answers the question by the OP.