Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Exporting 1968 Kaw 250cc

Last year My wife and I imported her Classsic 1968 Kawasaki A1 Samurai to Chiang Mai from Detroit Michigan. We paid all the import taxes and everything was done completely legally. It was a major pain but we jumped through all the hoops successfully. We've had the bike in the shop for a few up grades, (chrome and paint). Since the bikes been in the shop for the last 4 months we never drove it and never registered it here in Thailand. My mother passed away last month and we now find ourselves headed back to the States probably for at least 3 years and have decided to bring the bike back with us. Here's the question...We're being told that before we can export the bike we have to register it first and that we are going to have to pay hefty taxes to register it. (I don't know what the shipping company personel who told us this consider "Hefty" taxes but I can't believe taxes can be very high on a 41 year old 250cc motorcycle, but then this is Thailand) I also don't understand why we would have to pay more taxes to register the bike when we already paid all the import taxes when we brought the bike in country. Also, we've been told once we register the bike then we can apply for the export paperwork the same day. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this process. Thanks.

Just send it home in parts in three containers. that's how most big bikes ended up here :D
I do appreciate the input and in the long run it maybe the easiest thing to do. However, since I imported it legally (I just reviewed my paperwork and I did pay 21,000 Baht in taxes on the bike when it came into the country last year.) I was hoping to ba able to ship it home in one piece. Thanks again. :)

Sansai. Did it come into Thailand in one piece and in a container. if so then the tax you paid seems very low (possibly due to the age of the bike). If you have the paperwork i would suggest going to the land transport office near you and just asking the question 'can i register this please' and see what happens. But failing that call a different shipper and just tell them you have an old, unregistered bike you want to ship to the states ask how much etc.

Allan