Cost Of Living For A Single Man In Pattaya.

Mahadeva

You wont have any sort of lifestyle for 20k a month so forget what others have said here. Stay at home and save more if that is your budget.

If women are part of your budget then i think you could do it okay on 60k a month.

You still have to be careful with your money thou.

The 220k a month mentioned by another poster is not really that hard to spend if you go full tilt.

I spend about 140k a month when here although i am supporting someone as well and I live well but not extravagantly.

I've been living in Pattaya for 2 years now, and I manage on 20000bht/month and have done the whole time, including everything...

Can you tell us under which bridge you live. :)

In a new apartment building in Nakklua, Wong Amat, a corner apartment on the top floor, 7000bht/month OK.

I've been living in Pattaya for 2 years now, and I manage on 20000bht/month and have done the whole time, including everything...

Can you tell us under which bridge you live. :D

In a new apartment building in Nakklua, Wong Amat, a corner apartment on the top floor, 7000bht/month OK.

Yes, but what's the name of the bridge above it? :)

• Haha 1

20,000 Baht a month over 12 months without a G/F or wife (with associated expenses) will be a very hard time in Pattaya!

No money, no honey, no honey, no fun!

Without cash in your pockets I could image, that Pattaya (and especially Pattaya) can get very boring after a rather short time! Keep being locked in your 25 sqm condo, due to own financial restraints, certainly is a very frustrating experience one had to make!

Double the 20k and it would be much better (but that would be also an absolute minimum!).

Cheers

A precise figure is virtually impossible to give-totally depends on your preferred lifestyle in Pattaya.If you are accustomed to western living,then I would guess about half of your current budget would see you through in Pattaya--but there are so many variables to consider.However it would be wise to err on the high side when considering your proposed budget.

Hope it all works out,and don't forget health insurance!

Basicly it comes down to if you drink alot and where you drink.....you have to learn where to spend small money and still have a good time :D

I used to spend about 2500b/day on average when i stayed in pattaya for 3-5months, and most of that was beer, booze and birds in bars.

Let me do a budget for ya:

Room(big clean room with AC, TV, balcony, internet etc) - 6-9000b inc. electricity etc - you DON`T want a crappy place to stay in if you will be there for many months!!!

MC(a must) - 2000/month (or buy an old one since you are stayin there for awhile)

150baht a day gives you the essential stuff like food and condoms :D

So there you have it, around 15000b/month without visaruns or anything special to do, the rest is up2u......

I will also be going to pattaya in a few months and staying 6-9months this time, and my budget will be 40000b/month up to 70000b...depending om my mood :)

Rule #1 have to be: get a girlfriend that has her own money....or even better, get a girlfriend that has her husbands money :D

• Like 1

I never take visa runs from Pattaya, so I don't know how much it costs. The biggest problem for the visa run is when you want to stay more than 6 months. You are not old enough to qualify for a pension visa. The longest you can get is an 180 day triple entry visa. But, there are no extensions after that and then you are stuck with the 2 week trips or fly out of the country for the 30 day trip. I think you can only do that 3 times and then you have to leave for about 6 months. If you stay illegally in the country then you WILL get caught and you WILL have to pay a big fine or go to jail. I wouldn't wish a Thai jail term on anyone.

There's no limit on 30 day visa free entry stamps or 15 day visa free entry stamps from borders. This will depend of course on the OP's country of origin.

If the OP manages to get a triple entry tourist visa before he comes, then he'll be sorted for 9 months with the additional costs of:

1. 3 x 1,900 = 5,700 baht for 3 x 30 days extensions.

2. 2 x 2,000 = 4,000 border runs to activate 2nd and 3rd entries.

Then he'll have to fly to Penang to get another single entry tourist visa.

If he cannot get a triple entry, but gets a double entry, then he'll have to go to Laos to get another double entry tourist visa which will add to the costs above.

On 20,000 baht/month the OP is not going to be a very hansome man, that's for sure. In fact he might be considered downright ugly. :)

Why Pattaya?

after Bangkok, Phuket and Sumui probably the most expensive place place to live in Thailand, live out in the sticks a lot cheaper.

Why a condo with AC, not only do you pay more for a room with AC but if you probably have to pay for electricity and Water as well, a fan will be cheaper.

12 months is a long time, what do you plan to do? it can get very boring after a week or so just waiting for the bars to open.

You can not just get off a plan a stop 12 months, you will have to consider the visa issue with the obligatory visa runs.

Why wast 12 months of your life.

Interesting comment.

Well, regarding the condo with AC, you are 100% right, it is really not essential so I can do without the AC.

Actually, just a bed and a refrigiarator is enough for me.

Regarding wasting 12 months of my life, I see it differently from you.

If a place is making me happy than that's the place I need to be and no matter how long is it, it's not waisted time.

At this point, I would like to do what is good for myslef, and personally I think that living in a vibrant place, interesting people,noise(the good type of noise), tourists, parties and the ability to escape to an island when I feel I need some quiet IS the right place for me.

Aside from enjoing my hobbies, I am a friendly person so I am pretty sure I will meet some cool people so I won't get bored.

It would be exactly as living back home just the beer is cheaper and the place&people are far more interesting.

If I feel like the place isn't for me than I will move to a different place in/outside of Thailand but you never know... I may find myself in Pattaya for several years or a lifetime.

The very tight budget and the 1 month visa run (a real pain in the ass) are major factors and I guess just need to see how I cope with both while I'm there.

This is not at all judgmental but you do realize that you are the type of guest that LOS is doing everything to discourage. You do not qualify for a business, work or long stay (retirement) visa. The government is trying to discourage visa runs and attempting to stay for 1 year might be a real hassle (and probably illegal). Others have advised on the living costs and noted Pattaya is not as cheap as in the past. You are also subject to fluctuations in the exchange rates. As an American my dollars have 20-25% less buying power and the Thai baht continues to remain strong. It sounds like you enjoy the night life and remember the costs are same for a 26 year-old with wit, charm as good-looks as for the over-weight 80 year old.

Edited by Barack

At 26 so long as youre ok looking with a bit of charm youll be able to have fun with the ladies for free probably with the some girlie whose sponsor is overseas, well the sex part but youll still have to feed and water them, but they dont drink too much and Thai food isnt that expensive.

Edited by sanmiguellight

At 26 so long as youre ok looking with a bit of charm youll be able to have fun with the ladies for free probably with the some girlie whose sponsor is overseas, well the sex part but youll still have to feed and water them, but they dont drink too much and Thai food isnt that expensive.

Pretty lean times, even the uber handsum will be paying a few bob. Thai lady doesnt drink too much? :) Well I know some that will drink a irishmen under the table.

Pretty lean times, even the uber handsum will be paying a few bob. Thai lady doesnt drink too much? :) Well I know some that will drink a irishmen under the table.

Oh yes when the little things drink they can most certainly drink, but there is a good percentage of them that dont drink at all or drink in extreme moderation IMEO these are the kind of ladies Mr OP would be better off fishing for.

To be 26 again and in LOS i wish!

I've always been careful with my money but do not consider myself a scrooge or a Cheap Charlie. I grew up in the aftermath of WW2 in an austere Britain when you had to be thrifty in order to have enough money for food till the end of the week.

When in Pattaya I find I spend about 15,000 bt a week including my room. I eat mainly in my room and go out 4 nights a week and usually enjoy the company of a girl about 4 times a week. I would not even try to live on 20,000 bt a month in Pattaya as it would defeat the object of going there in the first place. You would have to live like a pauper as the Thais would still look upon you as a Falang and expect you to spend like one.

As others have said you'd be better off going for a shorter period and have more cash with which to have a good time. 20k per month would be good out in the sticks but it is not enough for Pattaya.

You won't get much of a motorbike for 2000 baht a month, but there are some places that rent beaters. If it was me I'd leave the motorbike alone in Pattaya. It's easy to walk anywhere or take a red truck.

Wrong I know of a place where you can rent a motorbike for 2000 baht per mo and you will get a nice Nuovo or Click.

You won't get much of a motorbike for 2000 baht a month, but there are some places that rent beaters. If it was me I'd leave the motorbike alone in Pattaya. It's easy to walk anywhere or take a red truck.

Wrong I know of a place where you can rent a motorbike for 2000 baht per mo and you will get a nice Nuovo or Click.

Yes, there ARE some places, but a newbie wouldn't find them without doing a lot of research. Until I bought my own bike I rented a 125 Honda in Chiang Mai for 2000 baht a month, but it was a girl friend that told me of the place. I wouldn't have found it on my own. Most rentals I've seen in Pattaya want 1500 per week... and they want to hold your passport as well. You have to search around for ones that don't require your passport. Then, there is the hassle if someone steals the secondhand bike and the shop wants you to pay for a NEW one. That is a VERY common problem.

In regards to the OP, it is still the visa run that will be the sticking point. Flying out of the country every month just to get a 30 extension will be costly.

Tropo says there is no limit to the number of 30 day visits, but the last time I asked about extensions I was told there was a maximum of 3. Maybe that has now been changed.

If the OP were to buy a triple entry visa and leave on the VERY LAST DAY of each segment then he could squeeze out the full 180 days. That would make at least 6 more trips out of the country to complete a year... and that would also require a very last day trip. In reality it would take at least 7 or 8 extra flights out of the country because it's very difficult to leave on the very last day of each segment. If you go any sooner then you lose the remainder of that segment.

I don't know what it costs to fly to Laos or Cambodia, but it can't be cheap. I know a return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok costs about 3500 baht on the cheaper airlines. I would imagine a flight to Laos would be similar. That means the total cost for 9 trips would be about 31,500 baht, or around $1000 for visa runs alone. And, that would not include any accommodation needed outside the country, or trips to and from the airport. Flying isn't like taking a bus run to the border. You can't just get off a plane and hop onto another heading back.

You would have to live like a pauper as the Thais would still look upon you as a Falang and expect you to spend like one.

Huh? Why care about what strangers think or expect!!?!! Its your money, your life, they can bloody well think what they want.

You would have to live like a pauper as the Thais would still look upon you as a Falang and expect you to spend like one.

Huh? Why care about what strangers think or expect!!?!! Its your money, your life, they can bloody well think what they want.

It's been a positive thread though, Jingthing, and a lot of valuable information has been posted. There have been a few things mentioned that others might find useful. It certainly puts into perspective what the area has to offer for the price.

This is not at all judgmental but you do realize that you are the type of guest that LOS is doing everything to discourage. You do not qualify for a business, work or long stay (retirement) visa. The government is trying to discourage visa runs and attempting to stay for 1 year might be a real hassle (and probably illegal). Others have advised on the living costs and noted Pattaya is not as cheap as in the past. You are also subject to fluctuations in the exchange rates. As an American my dollars have 20-25% less buying power and the Thai baht continues to remain strong. It sounds like you enjoy the night life and remember the costs are same for a 26 year-old with wit, charm as good-looks as for the over-weight 80 year old.

I know you're trying to help out with useful advice, but it is not illegal to stay in Thailand for 1 year without working, not much hassle and quite doable....especially if he starts out with a double or triple entry tourist visa.

It can be very easily done.

In regards to the OP, it is still the visa run that will be the sticking point. Flying out of the country every month just to get a 30 extension will be costly.

Tropo says there is no limit to the number of 30 day visits, but the last time I asked about extensions I was told there was a maximum of 3. Maybe that has now been changed.

If the OP were to buy a triple entry visa and leave on the VERY LAST DAY of each segment then he could squeeze out the full 180 days. That would make at least 6 more trips out of the country to complete a year... and that would also require a very last day trip. In reality it would take at least 7 or 8 extra flights out of the country because it's very difficult to leave on the very last day of each segment. If you go any sooner then you lose the remainder of that segment.

I don't know what it costs to fly to Laos or Cambodia, but it can't be cheap. I know a return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok costs about 3500 baht on the cheaper airlines. I would imagine a flight to Laos would be similar. That means the total cost for 9 trips would be about 31,500 baht, or around $1000 for visa runs alone. And, that would not include any accommodation needed outside the country, or trips to and from the airport. Flying isn't like taking a bus run to the border. You can't just get off a plane and hop onto another heading back.

A triple entry tourist visa obtained outside of Asia will be valid for 6 months (double and triple entry tourist visas obtained from Laos are the exception and only valid for 90 days). If the last entry (3rd) is made on the last day of visa validity a person can stay for 9 months with extension. He could then travel to Penang for a single entry tourist visa to allow him to complete his full year's stay.

There is currently no limit on tourist visa extensions.

A trip to Laos would be his best option if he arrives with a double entry tourist visa (I suggest the OP familiarlize himself with the workings of tourist visas). In this case he could take a bus trip to Laos which will save him quite a bit over airfares. Currently and until March next year double entry tourist visas are free of charge in Vientiane, Laos.

Edited by tropo

Why Pattaya?

after Bangkok, Phuket and Sumui probably the most expensive place place to live in Thailand, live out in the sticks a lot cheaper.

Why a condo with AC, not only do you pay more for a room with AC but if you probably have to pay for electricity and Water as well, a fan will be cheaper.

12 months is a long time, what do you plan to do? it can get very boring after a week or so just waiting for the bars to open.

You can not just get off a plan a stop 12 months, you will have to consider the visa issue with the obligatory visa runs.

Interesting comment.

Well, regarding the condo with AC, you are 100% right, it is really not essential so I can do without the AC.

If a place is making me happy than that's the place I need to be and no matter how long is it, it's not waisted time.

At this point, I would like to do what is good for myslef, and personally I think that living in a vibrant place, interesting people,noise(the good type of noise), tourists, parties and the ability to escape to an island when I feel I need some quiet IS the right place for me.

Aside from enjoing my hobbies, I am a friendly person so I am pretty sure I will meet some cool people so I won't get bored.

It would be exactly as living back home just the beer is cheaper and the place&people are far more interesting.

If I feel like the place isn't for me than I will move to a different place in/outside of Thailand but you never know... I may find myself in Pattaya for several years or a lifetime.

The very tight budget and the 1 month visa run (a real pain in the ass) are major factors and I guess just need to see how I cope with both while I'm there.

You can get a hotel room in Saigon for US $ 20 per night with wi-fi and breakfast (that's the cheap end, I pay twice that). You can get beers in a good bar for US $ 2 each. The girls are a little more, other meals are from US $ 3 (Vietnam style) and US $ 8 (Western syle).

Take a break from Pattaya after a couple of months and visit Vietnam.

Take another break and visit Cambodia (Snooky and Phnom Penh)

This would make a year in Thailand far more enjoyable.

In Thailand visit Phuket and Krabi, take a trip on a liveaboard for three or five days and see the Similan reefs - Scuba diving is excellent.

Do not confine yourself to Patters as you will catch the dreaded weary-expat syndrome that is often found in these threads.

Life in SE Asia is great, but vary it as much as you can.

And get your tourist visa (multiple entry) before you come - do not wait for the airport stamp, as you are very restricted in your stay-time.

Also visas required for other countries, although you can walk in to Malaysia and Singapore with no problems for a short visit.

I have been living in Pattaya for the last 5 months,

I have been living pretty much full-tilt with the beers/girls etc and i have spending about 220K/baht a month, I give 40k of that

to my wife and I have a 20k a month "friend" i "support" (BTW super hot / super fun - best 20k a month i ever spent :D )

ITs expensive here if u want fun

220,000 Baht/month???

Bro... you are in a league of your own! you are living "Sadam Husein" style (well beside the mass murder, golden swords and shit :)

Keep on having fun, you only live once.

I guess when ur 70 you want to try and chew up all ur money before you die, fair enuf

Why Pattaya?

Interesting comment.

You can get a hotel room in Saigon for US $ 20 per night with wi-fi and breakfast (that's the cheap end, I pay twice that). You can get beers in a good bar for US $ 2 each. The girls are a little more, other meals are from US $ 3 (Vietnam style) and US $ 8 (Western syle).

Take a break from Pattaya after a couple of months and visit Vietnam.

Take another break and visit Cambodia (Snooky and Phnom Penh)

This would make a year in Thailand far more enjoyable.

In Thailand visit Phuket and Krabi, take a trip on a liveaboard for three or five days and see the Similan reefs - Scuba diving is excellent.

Do not confine yourself to Patters as you will catch the dreaded weary-expat syndrome that is often found in these threads.

Life in SE Asia is great, but vary it as much as you can.

And get your tourist visa (multiple entry) before you come - do not wait for the airport stamp, as you are very restricted in your stay-time.

Also visas required for other countries, although you can walk in to Malaysia and Singapore with no problems for a short visit.

Some great ideas but on the OP's 20,000 baht a month I reckon they are all pretty much out of reach.

You could also get an educational visa which would also fill in the time and help you learn the language.

I still say aim at having 60K a month minimum and you can have a good time ....ie pay for ladies and drink a bit

The OP wants to come to Pattaya to relax and enjoy life for a year. He qualifies for a Tourist visa. Some here have suggested he get a non-immigrant multiple-entry visa ($175). From a Thai Consulate website:

Validity of visa

The validity of visa is 3 months for a single-entry and 1 year for a multiple-entry.

Period of stay

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days per entry.

Purpose of visit :

- To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)

- To study (Category “ED”)

- To visit family (Category “O”)

- To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)

- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category “R”)

- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category “M”)

- To perform official duties (Category “F”)

- For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”)

Specifically what VISA is he qualified and should apply for? This is useful information since in the past I have always used a tourist visa and then got an extension when in Thailand.

The OP wants to come to Pattaya to relax and enjoy life for a year. He qualifies for a Tourist visa. Some here have suggested he get a non-immigrant multiple-entry visa ($175). From a Thai Consulate website:

Validity of visa

The validity of visa is 3 months for a single-entry and 1 year for a multiple-entry.

Period of stay

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days per entry.

Purpose of visit :

- To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category "B")

- To study (Category "ED")

- To visit family (Category "O")

- To conduct scientific research or training (Category "RS")

- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category "R")

- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category "M")

- To perform official duties (Category "F")

- For the purpose of retirement (Type "O-A")

Specifically what VISA is he qualified and should apply for? This is useful information since in the past I have always used a tourist visa and then got an extension when in Thailand.

From the uk you can get category "O" 1yr multipal entry for visit friends. I have done this for the last two years and am about to return to the UK after 15 months here to renew giving me another 15 months.

Just means I need to boader run every 90 days and return to UK every 15 months EASY! :)

Is this not the same for America????

From Royal Thai Consulate Hull UK

If your purpose of visiting Thailand is other than tourism you must be in possession of a valid Non-Immigrant Visa before you enter Thailand.

The Non-Immigrant Visa can be issued only by the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate and it must be obtained before you arrive in Thailand. It is not possible to obtain this visa in Thailand.

The Non-Immigrant Visa can be granted for the following purposes of visit:-

Category "B" conduct business as employee of non Thai company or to work for Thai company.

Category "ED" study, attend/participate in seminar/conference/exhibition, attend as official at a recognised event,

study Thai boxing, etc) and study as Buddhist monk. This category does not allow paid employment.

Category "O" visit friends/family, for extended stay in Thailand, visit as UK pensioner, to work as a volunteer,

attend training course (teaching English, scuba diving, etc) and to seek work/employment. This

category does not allow paid or unpaid employment without a work permit.

I don't get it. For a Brit a non-immigrant type O is for friends/family but for a Yank it is for family only. From the L.A. Royal Thai website (Wahsington, D.C. reads the same):

Non-Immigrant Visa

For the purpose of visiting family (Type “O”)

*** Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.

To visit as a spouse of a Thai nationality, Fiance and Fiancee are not included in this category.

To visit as an immediate family member of a Thai nationality

I have used in the past a tourist VISA which gave me 60 days and then got a 30 day extension. I then did a 30 day VISA run to Cambodia but then decided to return home. I don't understand how I (or the OP unless he's a Brit?) could stay for more than one year under the current border and Penang crackdowns.