Thailand Calls For Asean Single Visa

chuenjit

PHUKET, Thailand, July 20 (Xinhua) -- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) must be visa-free within the region and offer an ASEAN Single Visa for those outside the region, Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said here on Monday.

"ASEAN must be able to act decisively and in a timely manner to address both internal and external threats and challenges to the security and welfare of its member states and peoples," Abhisit said in his opening remarks before the 42nd ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meeting in Phuket.

The prime minister also emphasized that cooperation with ASEAN Dialogue Partners should be further strengthened to respond to challenges including the impact of the global economic and financial crisis, environmental and natural disaster as well as potential pandemics and other security issues.

"We have proven our resilience time and again and are on our way to building a Community that will be more competitive, relevant and caring for our peoples," Abhisit said.

The ministers will focus their discussions on human right issue and dispute settlement mechanism (DSM) among ASEAN nations.

"When there is an emergency somewhere within our region or beyond and a request is made for assistance, ASEAN must be able to effectively respond as a group and in a timely manner", said the prime minister.

Making ASEAN a Community of Connectivity, he said, could be achieved through improving both ASEAN's infrastructure such as transportation linkages, and harmonization of relevant rules and regulations governing region-wide transportation, and trade and investment.

"Only through a well-connected community can we realize our full economic potentials as well as take maximum advantage of our strategic location linking the massive economies of South Asia and our West and Northeast Asia to our North", he said.

Meanwhile, Community of Peoples, he explained, referred to a community whereby the peoples of ASEAN Member States were indeed beneficiaries of the various areas of ASEAN cooperation. "The peoples of ASEAN are the region's most important resources. We need to ensure that they have equitable access to human development opportunities. Regional integration will succeed only if our peoples contribute to, and benefit from it", he said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-07/...nt_11739555.htm

Has Churchill been sacked and replaced?

The biggest question in my mind about AV's speech, is why would he want to open Thai borders to all ASEAN nations?

That would mean any Lao or Cambodian can just wander in to BKK and stay as long as he/she wants.

Why would he want a Single ASEAN visa for outsiders? Would that mean visitor visas would have to be longer than 3 months (to accomodate the visitor wishing to visit 4 countries on one trip)? It would certainly stop visa runs.

What's the advantage to Thailand?

I don't see how this visa issue strengthens Thailand's security or any other ASEAN nation's, for that matter. I don't see why they are mentioned in the same speech.

Why would he want a Single ASEAN visa for outsiders? Would that mean visitor visas would have to be longer than 3 months (to accomodate the visitor wishing to visit 4 countries on one trip)? It would certainly stop visa runs.

I don't see how this visa issue strengthens Thailand's security or any other ASEAN nation's, for that matter. I don't see why they are mentioned in the same speech.

It would stop Thaksin from entering ASEAN, no?

Impossible because different countries have different requirements to enter. Isrealis for example can enter Singapore or Thailand, but for Malaysia they need special permission from the Ministry of Internal Security.

Oooh ... that would make it difficult for people needing to do border runs. Open borders across ASEAN meaning no 'internal' immigration controls (like Europe). Everyone will be jetting off to Oz or the Maldives every 90 days - lovely :)

Agree, it will never happen.

The biggest question in my mind about AV's speech, is why would he want to open Thai borders to all ASEAN nations?

That would mean any Lao or Cambodian can just wander in to BKK and stay as long as he/she wants.

AFAISI this will benefit the poorer countries than thailand to easily come in and work there.

AFAISI this will benefit the poorer countries than thailand to easily come in and work there.

Exactly my point. What benefit to Thailand in that? Foreigners need work visas, farang residents can't work (based on the premise that farang should not take jobs away from Thais)....but with this, all ASEAN nationals can come and work with no restrictions.

I can't see it happening......So I wonder why he said it?

A possible benefit to Siamophiles is that perhaps other ASEAN nations have easier residency requirements, thus they can gain residency somewhere else, but choose to live in Thai.

Similar to the plan a few years ago to adjust the time to Malaysia and Singapore = + 1 hr. But it failed, because they realised, that the Eastern neighbours would be 1 hour after Thailand...

Does he mean all of the countries need to make the rules much more restrictive, adopting a Thai model........probably the worst on the planet?

• 1 year later...

It is kinda pointless because there are so many nationalities that can get a short term visa on arrival in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos and Brunei and Vietnam and Burma are too paranoid to drop their border controls. None of these countries would give up control of longer term visas or open their borders to passport free travel. The Schengen visa works because there are many nationalities that need visas for short term visits to Europe and the European countries have opened their borders to passport free travel, once you are in. For Asean nationals, visa free travel is already a reality with the exception of travel to Burma.

Although the passport free travel is a boon to everyone in Europe, even the Schengen visa can be a disadvantage in some respects, e.g. longer term Schengen visas are very hard to get, resulting in multiple applications for regular travellers to Europe, whereas the UK readily gives up to 10 year visit visas to qualified applicants.