Clubbers Survive Brutal Beating In Phuket

george

Clubbers survive brutal beating in Phuket

CHERNG TALAY, PHUKET: -- Two people have been hospitalized after a brutal attack in the early hours of Saturday.

Narissa Phokabut, 28 and her 30-year-old English friend, were leaving the Stereo Lab nightclub before dawn on Saturday when they were attacked by two Thai men.

Yards away, revelers were still partying at the Head Kandi night, an event put on by the popular nightspot.

Miss Narissa said she was only fifty yards away from the steps of the nightclub when she was tackled from behind.

“One man tried to grab my purse, then punched me repeatedly in the head when I wouldn’t let go,” she said.

Her unnamed English friend ran to help but was hit from behind by a second assailant.

“My friend was hit repeatedly with a weapon, either a bottle or a small club,” she said.

After punching and kicking Miss Narissa while she was on the ground, her attacker began dragging her further away from the nightclub, deeper into the car park.

At the same time, another party goer, described by Miss Narissa as a large foreigner with blond hair, entered the car park from the stairs and raced over to help.

“He started shouting. There was a lot of movement and both the attackers ran away,” she said.

Miss Narissa is desperate to find the good Samaritan.

“Without him it would have been really bad. I want to find the man to thank him,” she said.

The man, who might also have useful information that would help catch the assailants, is being urged to contact Cherng Talay Police.

Although her recollection of the attack is hazy, Miss Narissa said the two men ran off in the direction of Surin.

After the attackers fled, Miss Narissa got to her feet and ran back into the nightclub for help. Her friend was still lying semi-conscious and bleeding in the car park.

Shocked at the sight of the bloodied woman, staff immediately called the police and an ambulance to the scene.

The two were taken to Thalang Hospital, where Miss Narissa was treated for bruising, multiple cuts and scrapes all over her body.

The injured English man suffered a cut on his head, which required 12 stitches, a dislocated shoulder and heavy bruising over his body.

Saddened by the incident, Miss Narissa said she wanted to warn people of Phuket, especially women, to be vigilant when going out at night.

Violent attacks like this happen all too often all over Phuket, she said.

It was not until Sunday afternoon that a police report was filed at Cherng Talay Police Station.

A police source who refused to be named said, “right now we don’t have enough officers to look for the suspects…The Asean meetings are using most of our resources.”

The heightened police presence in Surin and Bang Tao has done nothing stop crime for local residents, said Narissa.

She is appealing to anyone else who has information to contact Cherng Talay Police Station by calling 076- 324086.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-20

A police source who refused to be named said, “right now we don’t have enough officers to look for the suspects…The Asean meetings are using most of our resources.”

And there's a clear signal from the police that all the muggers etc can have a field day!

Good for the guy who help the girl. i for one will and do stand up for myself against idiot Thais, Why are many people scared of approaching wrong doers, maybe if people did start doing some thing ,things would change, I was at the back of the shopping center [carfore] two weeks ago last Thursday. I saw a Thai guy grab a gold chain and start to run , he ran to wards me , i just up ended him , the Thais did the rest , So not all Thais would back the wrong doer, The guy i up ended, got kicked within an inch of his life, he was thrown into a pick up and taken to the police station.Also not all Thai police are against tourists, some are starting to realize that you cannot keep fleasing the falang, They dont come back , and Thailand is in big trouble, There are many adverts on the TV telling Thai people that things have got to change for the better,The last one i saw was about the LOS. and nobody was smiling, The Thai government are starting to act , will the people respond who knows but at least things are on the move.The ressesion is starting to bite now so expect more criminal acts against tourists,

Holy Crap I was there! What time did this occur? I arrived about 12:45 and left at almost 4am. Did not see incident, nor did I see any police present.

I never knew there were any night clubs in Cherng Talay. Where is this one? How close to the nearest mosque? I thought these places were to close at 2 am. If they are open up till morning Muslim prayer time there could be some legit opposition.

I was there, though arrived and left by Taxi so not sure exactly where it is.

I 'think' that as you turn into the car park for surin beach, and the sea is facing you, it's kinda off towards the left.

I kinda remembering seeing the car park when we left at 5.30am and i think there were still people in there.

not much help, i'm sorry.

We were pretty muntered to be honest.

Didnt see any commotion or cops either

Holy Crap I was there! What time did this occur? I arrived about 12:45 and left at almost 4am. Did not see incident, nor did I see any police present.

I never knew there were any night clubs in Cherng Talay. Where is this one? How close to the nearest mosque? I thought these places were to close at 2 am. If they are open up till morning Muslim prayer time there could be some legit opposition.

But what has that got to do with this incident?

But what has that got to do with this incident?

I think a lot. This is not only a question of a criminal act, but also of the circumstances surrounding it, which very well may have led to it. It is not a good idea to establish an entertainment place like this in a Muslim neighbourhood. Cherng Taleh is heavily Muslim, to the extent that some of the women even wear a black veil over their faces. I myself, do not agree with hiding your face, to suit your fanatical husband as it has nothing to do with the Muslim faith, nevertheless, one, whether foreign visitor nor local Buddhist Thai should not do anything to offend the local people.

I still have to find out where this place is, as a matter of fact even two places next to each other, Stereo Lab and Head Kandy. I searched the area between Surin Beach police box and the Laguna with no success. Or is the whole thing a hoax? Places like this belong into Patong, even though Patong is partly Muslim too, but this kind of trade is well established there. Mind, I have nothing against this type of entertainment per se, I visit the discos in Patong myself, but I believe you have to respect the sensibilities of the local people, and not introduce activities objectionable to some people into their neighbourhoods.

I have lived in Thailand for 15 years, and I know people dislike observing the law if it does not suit them. There is sense in this attitude sometimes, as sometimes the law is an ass, and that is partly why I like to live here. But dislike it when a karaoke or disco opens up next or very near to me, and I cannot sleep, when this has been a quiet neighbourhood all along. People living in Patong must expect to have a noisy neighbourhood as people living near to Suvannabhum airport (they most likely moved there after the airport was planned), but people in Cherng Taleh?

And what about staying open until sunrise? As far as I know, the law says these places must close by 1 am, with an exception for a recognised entertainment area like Patong where it is 2 am. I know some places in Patong stay open longer, and I am not that deadly set in stretching the limit a little bit, but 5 am outside of Patong is going a little far.

It's on the Beach, Surin Beach.

I don't know what Islam has to do with this, I'd hardly call ordinary Thai muslims fanatic, bit of an insult tbh regardless of what they wear. I also think its insulting that you are hinting that this is something carried out by muslims with a religious grudge against bars.

I still have to find out where this place is, as a matter of fact even two places next to each other, Stereo Lab and Head Kandy. I searched the area between Surin Beach police box and the Laguna with no success. Or is the whole thing a hoax? Places like this belong into Patong, even though Patong is partly Muslim too, but this kind of trade is well established there. Mind, I have nothing against this type of entertainment per se, I visit the discos in Patong myself, but I believe you have to respect the sensibilities of the local people, and not introduce activities objectionable to some people into their neighbourhoods.

It's not a hoax. It's definitely there! Just to avoid any confusion, it's called Stereo Lab.

There is no bar called Hed Kandi.

Hed Kandi is the brand name, kinda like a record label. A number of DJ's play under the Hed Kandi brand.

Hed Kandi had a night - where their dj's play, at Stereo Lab.

Hope this clears the confusion up.

As to the licensing and location of this place.

Well...........it 's right on the beach, not far from the car park, so not exactly a 'residential' zone.

The licensing of the venue is up to the local authorities.

I'm guessing it should close at 1am as per the laws.

On some nights they are going to push that boundary a little, for sure.

The fact that it 's a muslim community has got nothing to do with it at all.

This is Thailand. Alcohol and dancing are allowed here. If muslims have a problem with that, then that's their problem.

No one likes to be kept awake at night by booming music, so i dont see how it being a muslim area has any bearing on it.

If the local authority license it, and say its not in a residential zone, then its legal.

Inferring that the trouble may be a muslim backlash is a bit rich.

Isnt islam supposed to be a peaceful religion?

This is more than likely an opportunist crime where some people think they can take advantage of some drunk rich foreigners. They bit off more then they could chew in this case.

It's not a hoax. It's definitely there! Just to avoid any confusion, it's called Stereo Lab.

There is no bar called Hed Kandi.

Hed Kandi is the brand name, kinda like a record label. A number of DJ's play under the Hed Kandi brand.

Hed Kandi had a night - where their dj's play, at Stereo Lab.

Hope this clears the confusion up.

As to the licensing and location of this place.

Well...........it 's right on the beach, not far from the car park, so not exactly a 'residential' zone.

The licensing of the venue is up to the local authorities.

I'm guessing it should close at 1am as per the laws.

On some nights they are going to push that boundary a little, for sure.

The fact that it 's a muslim community has got nothing to do with it at all.

This is Thailand. Alcohol and dancing are allowed here. If muslims have a problem with that, then that's their problem.

No one likes to be kept awake at night by booming music, so i dont see how it being a muslim area has any bearing on it.

If the local authority license it, and say its not in a residential zone, then its legal.

Inferring that the trouble may be a muslim backlash is a bit rich.

Isnt islam supposed to be a peaceful religion?

This is more than likely an opportunist crime where some people think they can take advantage of some drunk rich foreigners. They bit off more then they could chew in this case.

OK, I did make another attempt to find this place and find it I did. Yes it is right on Surin Beach at the extreme south end of it. Yes, and it is far from any Muslim community, so there should not be any reason for the husbands of the black veiled women of Cherng Taleh to complain. In fact the only real neighbours who live there are farangs (Ayara Estate) and even they are far enough away so that any noise from the open club will not reach them. So given the location, it may be a good place for that.

Regarding dancing and alcohol, I do enjoy both. However, I also realise that both are abhorred by Muslims, at least the second. One third of the population of Phuket Island are Muslims, at least of the registered part of it, and in view of the problems in the South of Thailand the rest of us would be well advised to give their feelings our consideration and respect, however little we may agree with them, and if it is only not to cause problems for them and for us. If this place would have been within shouting distance of the big mosque further up the road I certainly would have a problem with that. But since it is where it is, I might even visit it myself some evening. But it would have to be on a night without rain, most of it is out in the open without a roof.

OK, I did make another attempt to find this place and find it I did. Yes it is right on Surin Beach at the extreme south end of it. Yes, and it is far from any Muslim community, so there should not be any reason for the husbands of the black veiled women of Cherng Taleh to complain. In fact the only real neighbours who live there are farangs (Ayara Estate) and even they are far enough away so that any noise from the open club will not reach them. So given the location, it may be a good place for that.

Regarding dancing and alcohol, I do enjoy both. However, I also realise that both are abhorred by Muslims, at least the second. One third of the population of Phuket Island are Muslims, at least of the registered part of it, and in view of the problems in the South of Thailand the rest of us would be well advised to give their feelings our consideration and respect, however little we may agree with them, and if it is only not to cause problems for them and for us. If this place would have been within shouting distance of the big mosque further up the road I certainly would have a problem with that. But since it is where it is, I might even visit it myself some evening. But it would have to be on a night without rain, most of it is out in the open without a roof.

Sorry to disagree a little. I have difficulty in 'giving consideration and feelings' to specific religious groups, be they muslim, christian, budhist or whatever. The law of the land gives consideration enough in this respect. Clubs and bars are not supposed to be near schools or religious establishments, be they mosque, church or wat. Singling out a mosque for special consideration is wrong.

People are free to follow what ever religion they want, but it is THEY who have to give consideration and feeling to the laws of the country they live in, and not expect special consideration to be given to THEM because of their choice of religion.

Would the local community be as equally upset if the place opened near to a temple? Probably not, so why should a mosque be highlighted for special consideration.

Thailand is essentially a 'drinking' society. When Thai people socialize, they often drink, dance and sing. These are very much part and parcel of Thai society and are accepted. Religions that don't accept or tolerate what is part of the fabric of Thai society's customs are being rather arrogant.

The sad fact is that some people were lying in wait to rob someone. I'd say it's more likely to be a couple of youths than angry muslims. The crime figures kinda bear out the fact that desperate ya-baa addicts are more likely to commit crimes such as this then angry muslim husbands.

I hope that this crime was a one-off and that Stereo Lab enjoys some success.

Also, from what i remember, most of the club is INSIDE, though the doors at the back are open and people can spill out onto the terrace and the beach area. Certainly the dance floor, bar and dj booth are inside.