Danish Embassy Warns Against King Power Dutyfree

martin81

668 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

amazing that the bbc didnt watch that video.

i thought they had more ethics than the press in my homeland USA.

They were reporting the real story, someone was extorted by corrupt officials who work inside an international airport.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a farang fried of mine lives opposite a policeman

he has got himself a brand new car

he has just done his house up spent about 100K baht

his new gun he was boasting to my friend is worth 40K baht

he earns a bad wage really really pathetic

but he grows a certain plant in his house

he also hosts nearly every week poker nights

and is not averse to the odd bribe or lending a helping hand for the right fee

the corruption is from the very lowest to the very highest here in Thailand

Well, I'm coming to Asia for 3 weeks...only 6 days of which I'll spend in LOS.

I'm off to Bali instead. The writings on the wall.... :)

RAZZ

All I can say to you is good luck in Bali mate! You will spend your time there being hassled to death on the beaches by traders that do just NOT understand the word no. Leave the beach saying no no no as you go down a path to a restaurant and they will still be there waiting for you when you come out! You are just as likely to be ripped off in Bali as in Thailand and you are probably more likely to be blown up as well! So as I say "good luck" and welcome back to Thailand when you've seen the light mate!

Cheers.

They were reporting the real story, someone was extorted by corrupt officials who work inside an international airport.

ya your point is understandable.

corruption is not a nice thing.

my point of view is that

innocent people dont pay bribes.

they knew they were caught.

waited 5 days in a hotel for the money?

didnt bother to call the embassy, a lawyer, friends, etc?

high bail + lawyer + flight back for trial is cheaper than that bribe.

they did the deed and paid to get out of it.

easier to just buy the d@mn wallet in the first place.

there's no facts on this thread except the king power video.

all the facts from the UK couple's side is hearsay.

you'd go to jail in most countries for this crime.

no chance to pay a slap on the wrist bribe/fee.

im sure these two brits make more

at their jobs than they would in Thai prison for 2 years.

Thai cops understand farangonomics.

I am an Indian National and i visit Thailand every year for my GF in hatyai. Though this year i saw lot of changes in hatyai and bangkok. Police is being very rude to tourists and it's worse in Hatyia where i found traffic blocked for hours as the police blocked the roads for VIP's travelling from Airport everyday. Red T-shirt men blocking the airport and now these episodes all point to the downfall of tourism in thailand. I am too worried to travel to thailand next year.

It is up to King Power to arrest shop lifters. They are a very large store and need professional security which they evidently do not have. Some people have written as if these people were caught red handed and that is just not the case. In fact they were not caught at all but they were rounded up and extorted. Be it right or wrong the Thai Judicial System provided them with a letter saying they were innocent of this crime, King Power cannot have it both ways.

The video does not prove anything, it cannot even prove its the same people. If it was the same people and a Store Detective watched them shoplift why were they not immediately apprehended? What is King Powers record concerning the prosecution of shop lifters? Have they ever prosecuted anyone? I have never known of any major store that did not have a 100% prosecution policy for shoplifters. Neither have I ever known of any major store that did not arrest people upon exiting with merchandise, professional store detectives around the world have this down to a science.

I suspect the Tourist Police "Tony" will be missing in action and never heard of again. If he does show up on the radar he will quickly be thrown in jail and prosecuted with his name and picture all over the news. Tony unfortunately was played as the patsy in all this, I'm sure he benefited but those saying he was getting rich off this do not have a clue about how the scam works. Money goes up hill quick and the guy running the errands gets the smallest piece of cake, possibly just crumbs.

What is amazing is the way some people believe this will change Thailand. This incident in the scheme of things is not even a pimple on a buffaloes backside in comparison to all the unholy works that have gone on in Thailand in recent years.

a farang fried of mine lives opposite a policeman

he has got himself a brand new car

he has just done his house up spent about 100K baht

his new gun he was boasting to my friend is worth 40K baht

he earns a bad wage really really pathetic

but he grows a certain plant in his house

he also hosts nearly every week poker nights

and is not averse to the odd bribe or lending a helping hand for the right fee

the corruption is from the very lowest to the very highest here in Thailand

I lived in a apartment owned by a policeman...they love gambling, <deleted> girls, take drugs...

Just human beings as we are also, nothing wrong with that.

They have small income BUT they get a big % of fines, especially in drug cases they are happy with 20%

of the sized stuff, and some of the sized drugs they sell or simply take for themselfs :)

next Life i wanna be police officer in pattaya :D

<br />I am an Indian National and i visit Thailand every year for my GF in hatyai. Though this year i saw lot of changes in hatyai and bangkok. Police is being very rude to tourists and it's worse in Hatyia where i found traffic blocked for hours as the police blocked the roads for VIP's travelling from Airport everyday. Red T-shirt men blocking the airport and now these episodes all point to the downfall of tourism in thailand. I am too worried to travel to thailand next year.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Red T-shirt men blocking the airport?

The problem in Thailand is that Thais, whether citizens or officials, are inclined to think that all Westerners are multi-billionaires and deserve being ripped off. That is why there is a dual pricing system and general overpricing. I was recently in Ko Tao in the height of the low season and a geusthouse owner was trying to make me pay 1200 Baht for a small, horrible bungalow with no hot water and a bathroom that looked as though it had been bombed by enemy fire. Even though nobody else was staying in any of his bungalows, he wouldn't lower his prices. So, I went elsewhere and got a nice room from a Western-sensitive owner for 700 Baht. Westerners themselves are certainly in part to blame for this. I don't know how often I see them given tips to establishments that are already blatantly overcharging them by a good 400%. Indeed, I saw Westerners this time even giving tips in a 7-11 convenience store where they had put up the price of a 12 Baht bottle of water to 27 Baht and written out the new price by hand. All 7-11 prices are the same nationwide. Before we can rid ourselves of scams against us, we must first educate our fellow tourists on the correct code of behaviour when they travel abroad.

i am just curious what the official government office will comment about that......

hope Mrs. Clinton will not visit any of this Duty Free shops :)

poor Thailand, rich Police....always the new Handymodel and huge cars...and all from the normal police officers income :D

See the video about the british couple here.....

And make your own opinion.

I believe King Power!!!

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case3.html

Zappergeck

Looks to me as if she is putting something in her bag - definately! I guess that is illegal everywhere or will it pass in the UK?

Sad how people at once start their racist thai bashing.

And I am a Dane!

The easy solution is to just keep away from the shops and go direct to your flight........

if you are lucky to come so far...dont forget, one have to cross immigration first.....AND dont forget another thing. Western People have absolutely NO RIGHTS in LOfakedS

wow thanks for the link to the videos. very clear about the brit couple.

Some of the 'journalists' are on an agenda that involves embarrassing and discrediting the current government no matter what. If Taksin were in charge you would see very different reporting from some of the foreign 'experts' on Thailand.

What expat would shop at KP anyway. All they sell is overpriced souvenirs etc.

Indeed, KP merely serves most as an idle distraction between flights,

better to hang out at a coffee shop (or bar), at least they're still safe havens, ... for now. :)

<br />I am an Indian National and i visit Thailand every year for my GF in hatyai. Though this year i saw lot of changes in hatyai and bangkok. Police is being very rude to tourists and it's worse in Hatyia where i found traffic blocked for hours as the police blocked the roads for VIP's travelling from Airport everyday. Red T-shirt men blocking the airport and now these episodes all point to the downfall of tourism in thailand. I am too worried to travel to thailand next year.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Red T-shirt men blocking the airport?

I ever heard that incident(tourist being accused by shoplifting) in BKK.... and it's so sad that's it's really happened.... anyway, mr. arefbhat by what mean you said police being rude in hatyai...

I quite often visit songkhla and hatyai... but i don't see any rude by police officer... even i ever chat with a few policeman in the train to hatyai... as i can see, policeman and people in hatyai still loves to smile... they welcome all foreigner....

btw i have a friend, and Gf living in songkhla....

easy enough...

I will never buy anything or enter the duty free stores in the airport. I would gather that if you never enter the store you cant be accused of shoplifting.

Perhaps not a real solution to the problem, but it is certainly the one I will use.

That will certainly keep you out of potential trouble as far as the shopping is concerned (bare in mind that most of the shops at Swampi are owned by King Power). When this tea-money operation goes t!ts up, they'll come up with a new dodgy deal; they've got oodles of time to think of something, sitting around doing bugger all all day...

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

Looks to me as if she is putting something in her bag - definately! I guess that is illegal everywhere or will it pass in the UK?

And I am a Dane!

Is the video actually of the two Brits that feature in the newspaper reports?

Edited by DagonKhan

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

And I am a Dane!

I've watched the videos three times (case 1 & 2). Case 1 is way to vague to even hint at shoplifting. Case 2 might be a case, but I wouldn't bet my sweet s...s on it! The videos are definitely non-conclusive. One would need to know a lot more (where and at what moment were they addressed about the alleged theft? and a few more questions would need to be answered).

Theft or not, asking 11,000 Dollars is just beyond reality.

to samjaidee living in vietnam

in reference to the video shown this evening by channel 5, the video narrator went on to say that the couple was arrested when they were in an eatery, sitting at different tables.

when the man saw the arrest of the lady, he walked away but was later arrested too. the shoplifted item (it looked like a dark wallet to me) was not found on the couple when searched. the missing item from the shop was later found in a trash can.

and in reference to the poll, just set up by thaitv--it needs to be much more specific for the poll to be meaningful. pls have someone from statistics 101 tries his/her hand on it.... lol (i like thaitv ok)

I've amended my post having seen the video. There's not much doubt she stole it.

Is it the right video though? I've had a look at it and think the lady on the video is significantly slimmer than the photographs of the lady in the press. It may be my eyes though - If your reputation as a business might be tarnished would'nt you be tempted to make a reconstruction video? TIT after all

So.. you base your estimation and assumption on what you have seen? On a posted video?

The old media axiom was "never believe what you read or hear." Now one must include what you "see" as well. Be advised: Never believe what you "see, hear or read." * Ex government media

consultant. Take heed on this.

I can add that this story is the most read on dr.dk, which is the Danish media that brought the initial story, so it reach a broad audience. I am also fairly sure this will be covered in their TV and radio broadcasts, which mean that pretty much every Danish person will know about this incident.

Thailand has for many years been one of the preferred destinations for Danish tourists, with all that has been happening I think this is about to change.

vahack

don't you think that everyone has rights, including the two persons shown in the video apparently appropriating something from the store?

i certainly hope that, regardless of the couple's guilt or innocence, you are not saying that what the cops and that no good interpreter were doing, not only to this couple but apparently several other persons as well, are acceptable in thailand.

what the cops and the interpreter were doing constitues criminality which imho is worse, particularly when perpetrated by officials in uniforms.

if we can keep the uproar going for a few more days, the pm and his associates, particularly his senior advisor--the former pm, will certainly take notice.

one important fact--when i was studying in thaialnd around 1960, corruption was much much worse than nowadays. i was much pleasantly surprised when i returned a few years ago, to find thailand a much more liveable place. yet i am not condonning what is going on, particularly with what the people in uniform were doing around the airport. it is a disgrace to thailand and thai people in every which way.

on the other hand, i also strongly believe that as a highly intelligent and diversified group of farangs living in thailand with or without thai family members, we can also achieve many landmarks for and in behalf of thailand, if we all want to.

thaivisa has already provided us with the excellent avenue for us to achieve these far reaching dreams which will not only benefit all of us, but also those farangs yet to follow us.... i humbly rest.

Stuck, I had the SAME problem with The scumbags in the Animal control centre when I brought my Dog from The UK 14 Years ago,FOUR of the Bas*ards DEMANDED 5,000 Baht EACH before they would sign the release forms ( All Other Paperwork in Order ) My Thai Wife & I asked The Sh*thouses "What would happen if I refused to pay the TEA Money ) They All laughed and said......Nothing apart from YOUR Dog will just DIE......Heartless Cu*ts.......

Then they'd have had it on the BBQ!16_2_102.gif

Thailand has for many years been one of the preferred destinations for Danish tourists, with all that has been happening I think this is about to change.

I certainly hope so because these thieving con men need to be taught a lesson.

Great to see a lot of people reading this thread, whatever you may think is right or wrong , it do appeal to many as an important matter.

And for all of you that still don´t think it´s a scam, come on!, there are way too many things pointing the same direction, no smoke without fire...

Union for expats anyone?

A recent, personal, experience when I knew that I was in the wrong BUT!

I think all will be explained in this email.

Did I even receive a reply, from the crook, did I hel_l!

Dear Sir,

On Wednesday June 17th, I was stupid enough to attempt to bring 2 (two) cartons of cigarettes into Thailand, above my duty free allowance – wrong, yes, but hardly a "hanging" offence!

Arising from this, though, are a few major worries.

· I had, obviously, been "targeted" (I do not know why) as the minibus in which I was travelling, to Udon Thani, was stopped by your Excise Officials about a kilometre from The Friendship Bridge and I was the ONLY person asked to open my bags.

· I was travelling with another two ferangs (American) and one Laos/Thai girl and NONE of those were questioned, or asked to open their luggage!

· I was taken off of the mini-bus and driven to the Excise office, in Nong Khai, where I was subjected to extortion of money with menaces (if I did not pay what they wanted I would be taken to Police Station, locked up and never be allowed to come to Thailand again).

· My travelling companions had used their duty free allowances, on my behalf, but these agreements were totally discounted by your staff, who seemed to view the whole episode as one big joke!

· After agreeing to pay a "fine", for which demands started at 47,000 Baht, then reduced (with discount) by 50%, to 23,500 (approx) then again to 18,430 Baht (after I showed that they were unable to use a calculator) they then told me that they would, also, keep all of my cigarettes. I said NO WAY , take me to the Police Station and they then changed their minds and said I could retain them!

· I was only two cartons (they agreed) over the allowance for four people, but they wished to penalise me for everything above my individual allowance.

· So, after ascertaining that I only had 15,000 Baht, in my pockets, I was driven to an ATM to get the additional cash. I would add, at this point, that I was asked by my "minder" how much I had withdrawn and I told him to "mind his own business", because I felt he would then attempt to take all of it!

· After returning and paying the agreed amount (I thought that I could argue later) I then met yourself.

· Not only did you proceed to put the money in your own pocket, with the 70 Baht change (I had handed over 18,500 Baht) coming from the pocket of one of your subordinates but, also, then stole four cartons of my cigarettes and then went berserk (mad) when I demanded them back.

I thought, O.K. I can report you to the police for demanding money with menaces and theft but, after being driven to the Police Station, I discovered this was easier said than done as I still had "minders" and was not allowed to spend any time with a policeman alone!

I did though place MY comments on the report, to that effect, although at that stage I did not know your name and was only told that after we had left the police station!

I must, also, add that in your office I had been told to sign a number of documents, which were written in Thai with no translation offered, PLUS a blank page in what looked like a ledger. I can, only, imagine the way that these items will be utilised!!

· I cannot believe that Nong Khai Excise wish to be known as a disgrace to Thailand, with people who DO NOT kao jai Thai Law being allowed to control it.

· You have, actively, demonstrated that the way you and your team operate is a joke and it would not surprise me if very little (if any) of the "fines" imposed ever reach the Thai Treasury and you should, therefore, never be allowed to occupy ANY position involving cash!

· My "receipt" (00169) shows 18,700 Baht paid, for the 18,430 Baht you received – That, alone, casts huge amounts of doubt upon matters and should make your accounting interesting – although, maybe, you don't worry about that at all!

· You acted like a thief – no more, no less!

I can NOT believe that any sensible Thai person would wish his (and his teams') conduct to gain a wider audience, on the internet, thus adding to Thailand's current problems with tourism, but if you wish that I will be more than happy (but would be, equally sad) to accommodate you!

I think that I have, always, shown great respect to Thai people (no matter what their social standing) and for Thai culture etc. and (maybe) because of this have enjoyed equal respect from Thai people and have a number of good Thai friends.

I love the people, I love the country, I love the way of life etc., but this is something I cannot and will not accept!

I have lived in Thailand for, nearly, three years and am familiar with the "Tea Money" scams but that is, normally, for around 100/200 Baht and they can, possibly, be understood considering the low, basic, pay of Thai policemen.

This, though, is totally, unacceptable and (unless resolved) will ensure that I leave the Kingdom, never to return.

Prior to doing that, however, I will ensure that this matter is investigated by both the Police and your superiors in Bangkok, which is something I do not believe you would welcome!

I would add that Khun Pharadorn Phongsuwan, at Nong Khai Customs is, already, aware of this matter as I reported it to him on June 18th, thinking that Customs & Excise are one department, as in the U.K.

I want my money back (that I paid in excess of Thai law) my cigarettes back and an official apology!!

In Saudi Arabia they cut the hands off of thieves – Maybe that policy should be adopted here!

I will await your response with interest.

Name withheld.

The name of the man I sent that to?

Khun Pradung Inchaiya who (guess who) turns out to be the guy who gave me the hassle - who is (supposedly )the Director of Excise in Nong Khai!

I was, I will admit, in the wrong, BUT this guy (and his team) are nothing more than bent sharks!

:)

Please, before anyone has a "go at me" read up on Thai law - I may have "bent it" but what I did was, perfectly legal!

If anyone wishes me to quote it "verbatim" I will/can do.

:D

I am, currently, laiaising with Mrs. Sirinuch Phisolyabutr, who is (supposedly) the head of the Thai Excise Department.

We will see what happens and (I promise) you will be the first (but not the last) to know.

:D

Edited by Yaaklenmai

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

And I am a Dane!

That video doesn't prove anything and I don't think she'd be stupid enough to try and steal something IN FRONT of the shop assistant...

And racist Thai bashing..? :) We are talking about extorsion and kidnapping of tourists by national police here, at the international airport...