Danish Embassy Warns Against King Power Dutyfree

martin81

668 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I only wish Abhisit would grow a set of balls, so he could do something about these problems. In reality, he is probably the only one who could

actually effect the situation, and cause the people in charge to lose their jobs. In most other countries an organization as corrupt and heinous

as King Power would lose their monopoly for allowing a scam like this to take place. The airport authority chief should be fired, the King Power

CEO should lose his job, and heads should roll. Will that happen here? Of course not. The Thai authorities seem to have no interest in eliminating

corruption. In Malaysia, they set up an anti-corruption commission. Every day they are arresting corrupt officials, and sentencing them to harsh

jail sentences. That is making a statement. That is instilling fear in other officials. Here, they have nothing to fear. They are ignored. It takes an

incident like this, where the courageous Danish Consulate makes a statement and brings this to the attention of the press, to create the potential

for improvement. I hope I am wrong, but it feels like the glory days of Thailand may be behind us, unless someone of courage comes in, and

really makes an issue over the treatment of foreigners, the police corruption, etc.

Well "they" as you refer to, are hardly going to to take action against anyone or organization , government or otherwise because those who would bring the charges are likely to to be corrupt themselves. Its a vicious circle and Thailand thinks it can continue its business this way and without interference from Falang. Fact is No Investment and No Tourism , meaning no money from outside the country will perhaps make them think harfer about tackling corruption. The Thaksin affair is a red herring. They attack him when there are so many other illegal operations happening under the noses of the Law.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is the land of corruption from the very top to bottom. Unfortunately the country seems to continually shoot itself in the foot as these types of issues become publicly known outside of Thailand. Thailand has the capacity to be a leader in so many areas within the SEA region, however while these types of things continue to happen then Thailand will remain the second rate backwater it currently is.

Among the ten ASEAN nations Thailand ranks somewhere in the middle. Few ASEAN nations are without serious problems but Singapore certainly is one that stands out positively.

Thailand has some real and impressive entrepreneurship and and some corporate founders and leaders who do have some big ideas and achievements. Thailand also has corruption, incompetence and a scale of disorganization that retards it significantly.

Generally, in considering Thailand, the maritime ASEAN nations do better or much better than the LO(decreasing)S in respect to such central measures as transparancy, competence and rule of law. This includes Singapore and, again relatively, Malaysia, Indonesia; in this category only the Philippines might be at a par with Thailand.

Conversely, Thailand ranks well ahead of mainland ASEAN nations such as Laos, Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam in such central measures as those I've mentioned above and in some others, to include having a thriving metropolis (Bangkok), a record of trying to develop some character of democracy and in cooperating with the UN (Toxin notwithstanding).

Just to mention a few measures, Thailand ranks poorly at Transparancy International but has a respectable UN Human Development Index. However, by either of these (selected) measures, Thailand in recent years has been either plunging in the rankings (TI) or has been slipping steadily (the HDI).

Now Thailand seems carelessly and recklessly to be telling the steadily decreasing number of tourists who continue to be willing to come to the LO(D)S to bring lots of extra cash for systemic rip offs. Very discouraging indeed, as if Thailand needed to splash more globally discouraging developments in people's faces.

I guess the question now is whether we might think the scammers can identify the difference between a tourist and a resident expat.

Its incredible it seems like they are doing all this on purpose. How do these guys get in the duty free area?? this shows how anyone can just wander around the airport talk about great security??!! and this is not the first incident why has know one done anything. Tourism is already destroyed. thailand is going down fast. Lots of people I know are leaving because of many on going problems here. I will be leaving in the next two months after 12 years because frankly its getting ridiculous. What can we say SOM NAM NA!!! :)

Honestly, i want to know what the tourists did to piss off the customs officers in the first place... every time i have had any problem with customs, they are always very polite and explain what you did wrong and at times just let you off with a warning... no need to bribes or threats or any nonsense...

Regarding King Power, only idiots buy anything from there as their prices are stupidly expensive and their service staff are rude and unhelpful.

So you admit you have had problems with customs!!! That's interesting. It takes your credibility away for a start doesn't it? m But as you say they were very polite.

But the KP staff are rude and unhelpful. How did you piss them off?

Before you start a car, ensure the gear is in neutral. Before posting, ensure brain is engaged.

At last, an unequivocal warning that it is the Thai police who pose a threat to passengers.

Let the smiling hypocrites that constitute what passes for the authorities in Thailand wriggle their squirming little way out of that one.

Well done the Danes, at least they have laid the allegation where it truly belongs unlike the weasely British embassy who seemingly prize a pusillanimous approach to the Thai over and above their responsibility to their own citizens.

Agreed. Hats off to the vikings. Its a shame the British Embassy cannot stand up for what put the Great in Britain - defence of a sense of fair play. These monkeys in King Power and the Thai Police have set themselves on a course designed to fleece the very tourists Thailand's Goverment is trying to attract. Yet another shot in Thailand's well mashed foot. Interesting to hear what all the 'Thai-er than Thais' who post on this board have to say in defense of this scam and the lack of any kind of investigation or protection from the Thai government :)

Edited by bungy007

UNFORTUNATELY...

-It's unfortunate TV didn't include the video and PDF link in the beginning of the thread:

VIDEOs: http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case2.html (also read the pdf's)

-It's unfortunate several members had to post corrections after seeing the videos and pdf's (after many pages of profitable hits)

-It's unfortunate BBC's Jonathan Head (with a well documented axe to grind against Thailand) also didn't see fit to include the video or PDF - as a balanced reporter might

-It's unfotunate and somewhat suspicious Mr Head decided to re-hash a story almost a month after the fact (with a big Foreign Correspondents event following on July 22 in Bkk)

-It's unfortunate King Power had such strong links to Mr Thaksin's past Govt's and to Mr Newin's faction currently

-It's unfortunate factions of the Thai Police thrive off corruption and extortion (similar to most developing countries)

-It's fortunate the vast majority of people passing through Thailand's airports do not shoplift and enjoy their vacations

UNFORTUNATELY...

-It's unfortunate TV didn't include the video and PDF link in the beginning of the thread:

VIDEOs: http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case2.html (also read the pdf's)

-It's unfortunate several members had to post corrections after seeing the videos and pdf's (after many pages of profitable hits)

-It's unfortunate BBC's Jonathan Head (with a well documented axe to grind against Thailand) also didn't see fit to include the video or PDF - as a balanced reporter might

-It's unfotunate and somewhat suspicious Mr Head decided to re-hash a story almost a month after the fact (with a big Foreign Correspondents event following on July 22 in Bkk)

-It's unfortunate King Power had such strong links to Mr Thaksin's past Govt's and to Mr Newin's faction currently

-It's unfortunate factions of the Thai Police thrive off corruption and extortion (similar to most developing countries)

-It's fortunate the vast majority of people passing through Thailand's airports do not shoplift and enjoy their vacations

It is unfortunate that the owner of KP is a poloying buddy of Prince Charles and should know better.

It would be very fortunate for all passing through Bangkok's International Airport if they chose not to enter any of the shopping facilities and thus avoid false arrest, the real threat of illegal incarceration in the notorious Bangkok Hilton and or the theft of thousands of pounds.

Boycott the buggers :)

Honestly, i want to know what the tourists did to piss off the customs officers in the first place... every time i have had any problem with customs, they are always very polite and explain what you did wrong and at times just let you off with a warning... no need to bribes or threats or any nonsense...

Regarding King Power, only idiots buy anything from there as their prices are stupidly expensive and their service staff are rude and unhelpful.

So you admit you have had problems with customs!!! That's interesting. It takes your credibility away for a start doesn't it? m But as you say they were very polite.

Before you start a car, ensure the gear is in neutral. Before posting, ensure brain is engaged.

Should better explain my self... never had a problem with the KP staff... just when ever i think about buying something from them - i do not get the feeling that they are polite or very helpful... as for the customs officers - i would like to find 1 person who has not come into Thailand with either 2 packs for cigarettes or 1 to many bottles of alcohol... however even in those cases they are usually very polite and helpful...

The usual apologist here. The farangs are so bad.

Every sort of outrageous scam has been going on here since Thailand had a tourist industry. For the fan of Thai Customs:-

The attitude of the customs here is that, if they are in possession of your property and particularly if it is valuable to you, they consider they have a hostage and work out the ransom to be paid based on its value to you.

Hence their threat to hold animals "until they die" unless the ransom is paid. This goes on year after year. Twenty years ago Chipperfield's Circus was touring Asia. When their animals arrived at the Port of Bangkok, Customs said they would hold them until a large sum was paid, a figure in the millions. And they did. Animals began to die. It was taken up by the international press. Thailand's precious reputation began to be mentioned. The animals were finally released.

God help us if they ever get their hands on one of our children.

I cant understand why these small scale corruption scams are not stamped out.

Its not difficult to catch these crooked cops, a few hidden cams and voice recorders - cant be too difficult. This is all so blatant and in your face.

Every country is corrupt at the highest levels, but why do the people at the top let small players like mall cops and traffic cops get away with it?

If the countrys small police is corrupt it is a real danger for the normal people and tourists and at the end of the day its really not safe here.

Its incredible it seems like they are doing all this on purpose. How do these guys get in the duty free area?? this shows how anyone can just wander around the airport talk about great security??!! and this is not the first incident why has know one done anything. Tourism is already destroyed. thailand is going down fast. Lots of people I know are leaving because of many on going problems here. I will be leaving in the next two months after 12 years because frankly its getting ridiculous. What can we say SOM NAM NA!!! :)

More power to you. After ten years in Thailand, I finally packed up and left at the end of 2007.

During those ten years I became more tolerant of the Thais. As I learned more about them and their place and its ways, tolerance was the natural and measured reaction. But these people have devised ways to far outpace and outstrip even the greatest efforts at tolerance, cooperation and civility.

Thais are working unrelentingly to self-destruct so I decided to get out of their way, to give them the space they so much want. :D

Edited by Publicus

See the video about the british couple here.....

And make your own opinion.

I believe King Power!!!

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case3.html

Zappergeck

Don't you get that it's irrelevant. Even if they *did* steal, it does not change facts on *extortion* that followed. Nobody cares much about petty shoplifting, this thread is about repeated cases of police-controlled extortion at the airport.

The usual apologist here. The farangs are so bad.

Every sort of outrageous scam has been going on here since Thailand had a tourist industry. For the fan of Thai Customs:-

The attitude of the customs here is that, if they are in possession of your property and particularly if it is valuable to you, they consider they have a hostage and work out the ransom to be paid based on its value to you.

Hence their threat to hold animals "until they die" unless the ransom is paid. This goes on year after year. Twenty years ago Chipperfield's Circus was touring Asia. When their animals arrived at the Port of Bangkok, Customs said they would hold them until a large sum was paid, a figure in the millions. And they did. Animals began to die. It was taken up by the international press. Thailand's precious reputation began to be mentioned. The animals were finally released.

God help us if they ever get their hands on one of our children.

In May 1998 I arrived in Thailand from having taught English in Korea, from where I'd shipped a crate of some possessions.

When the crate arrived in Thailand the Thai shipping agent called me to let me know. The agent also said Customs would appreciate a Baht 3,000 gratuity to expedite the crate, that without such a gratuity the crate could end up at the back of the large building for several months.

It disgusted me. But I hadn't any choice but to pay. None the less, I learned what we all learn: It was the real introduction to the real Thailand.

george

what do you think of the video shown this evening on channel 5 around 18:20 (bkk time) regarding the british couple who (lady) appeared to have dropped something into her purse?

perhaps, this was an exceptional case different from others who were wrongly accused?

it is something that we all need to reevaluate? right? or do you have another take on this?

If you read the first two posts, then you know that the police stopped them at the departure gate and searched their bags... TWICE. They found NOTHING STOLEN in their bags after searching them, still - they were detained, jailed and had to buy their freedom for 7,500 pounds.

Anyways, let's just assume this would have been a case of shop lifting, that does still not justify what is going on at King Power... what they are doing at the airport ruins the face of Thailand.

It's like this:

1 happy person tells 5 people about his or her experience

1 unhappy person tells EVERYONE about his or her bad experience.

If Thailand doesn't start to treat foreigner with at least the same respect they treat each other (which is not much, in my opinion) then "bye bye" Thai tourism.

It's unfortunate BBC's Jonathan Head (with a well documented axe to grind against Thailand) ....

It's also unfortunate that some people are either so ignorant or prejudiced that a first class reporter who unusually sets out the multi faceted aspects of the political crisis is described as having " a well documented axe to grind against Thailand."Says more about the poster than JH.

george

what do you think of the video shown this evening on channel 5 around 18:20 (bkk time) regarding the british couple who (lady) appeared to have dropped something into her purse?

perhaps, this was an exceptional case different from others who were wrongly accused?

it is something that we all need to reevaluate? right? or do you have another take on this?

but when searched the wallet was not found

The more our own countries start to issue these warnings the more it is likely to help, though I can see the changes being made slowly. But if enough embarrassment is laid at the Thai door in these situations it has to harm the country and the people concerned.

Good on the Danes for highlighting this in this way. Let's hope more follow their lead.

It's unfortunate BBC's Jonathan Head (with a well documented axe to grind against Thailand) ....

It's also unfortunate that some people are either so ignorant or prejudiced that a first class reporter who unusually sets out the multi faceted aspects of the political crisis is described as having " a well documented axe to grind against Thailand."Says more about the poster than JH.

:):D

The police have openly tried to extort money from me on quite a few occasions, so have the immigration and the customs.

The customs asked for money to allow parcels from another country to get though, two times books were sent Fed Ex. The parcels were shown to the customs who wanted several hundred dollars, another time it was a jacket and the customs wanted about $150, another time a small ring was sent to me and the customs people wanted $250.

The books had no commercial valve, neither did the jacket or the ring but the customs demanded payment for their release.

I refused to pay anything, so I have no idea what happened to my things as I never ever got them.

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

Don't you get that it's irrelevant. Even if they *did* steal, it does not change facts on *extortion* that followed. Nobody cares much about petty shoplifting, this thread is about repeated cases of police-controlled extortion at the airport.

Exactly. The whole point is 'dodgy Tony' the Sri-Lanakan face-man, illegal detention in non constabulary accommodation and the extortion of a vast sum of cash. Zappergeck - what about all the others that dodgy Tony says he's had a hand in robbing? Where is the proof that they stole? what of the recent events over the last couple of weeks? You really need to think a little deeper and start to connect the dots :)

Should better explain my self... never had a problem with the KP staff... just when ever i think about buying something from them - i do not get the feeling that they are polite or very helpful... as for the customs officers - i would like to find 1 person who has not come into Thailand with either 2 packs for cigarettes or 1 to many bottles of alcohol... however even in those cases they are usually very polite and helpful...

You've found one. Deliberately breaking the law on arrival in a country is a fairly dumb thing to do.

I was in fact held back for an hour myself by these security guards at my last trip back to my country.

I might have crossed an invisible line or not, but what was in my hand at first, I put back where it belonged, after showing it to my fiancee. Nothing unusual about that in a shop.

If they were watching the cameras, they surely would have noticed that.

I was taken away and searched for almost an hour and accused of shoplifting. A real nightmare.

Luckily, I was able to make my flight, when they couldn`t find anything, and let me go.

They were at first telling me a huge amount of bath I would have to pay to stay out of trouble, but I convinced them that I was broke, and was going home for good.

I can only imagine what others are going through, I was just glad I got off that "easy".

Indeed, and that's exactly the problem.

I also have examined a bottle or other item, checking the price or reading the label and then deciding not to buy. There is a real chance to be nailed by these security guys (who do they work for??? King Power? AOT?)

Nowadays I just walk quickly thought the shopping mall towards the business lounge to relax there with a drink before saying good by to the potential scammers.

It is definitely wrong to think King Power personnel are all innocent in these matters.

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

Exactly. The whole point is 'dodgy Tony' the Sri-Lanakan face-man, illegal detention in non constabulary accommodation and the extortion of a vast sum of cash. Zappergeck - what about all the others that dodgy Tony says he's had a hand in robbing? Where is the proof that they stole? what of the recent events over the last couple of weeks? You really need to think a little deeper and start to connect the dots :)

For the video watchers, please watch this.

Also I have done business with King Power. They didn't pay me for the goods I supplied to them. To quote Graham Greene they are a lot of "fat, sour, corrupt, venal, smiling, little men", and Greene wasn't fond of using adjectives.

I woudln't worry about BS, he's a fully paid up member of The Saffron Tinted Specs Society. :)

This sort of thing doesn't surprise me at all. I have been living in Thailand for ten years now and am no longer surprised at how "resourceful" the Thais can be. However, I am at great pains to point out to visitors that this country can be a trap for the unaware. Especially if you have a problem that involves the authorities. Then you will have to PAY and often you will have to pay BIG!

-------------

You've found one. Deliberately breaking the law on arrival in a country is a fairly dumb thing to do.

Now it's two and I'd go as far as to say that a very large percentage of the members here know and abide by customs rules on entry to Thailand. After countless threads on customs issues over the years TV members caught with excesses are either very naive or very stupid.