Danish Embassy Warns Against King Power Dutyfree

martin81

668 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Too Many Problems with Thailand

I am maybe getting a bit paranoid here.

Our last holiday based in Thailand was close to disaster.

Our flight from BKK to PNH with Bangkok Air :) on 5th December was one of the first to leave the country after the airport blockade.

If we had been forced to bin the ticket and travel overland, as had seemed likely a few hours previously, we would have been screwed by the (new) 15 day land border limit when we returned to Thailand on 5th January, as our flight back to PI was (prebooked) at the end of the month.

The overland trip would have killed my girlfriend anyway.

When we left BKK at the end of January I remember walking around Burgerking in the airport, with the meal on a plastic tray, looking for somewhere to eat it.

If we had stepped outside "The Burgerking Area", in the airport, we could have been scammed for theft of a plastic tray? Highly likely after reading these reports. Perhaps if Tony is reading this thread he has found a new situation in which he can "Assist People".

I believe these reports are true, I believe that the people have been stitched up. I have spent long enough in Thailand to know how things are in the country. And the videos are totally non conclusive.

Sorry if I seem negative, I have spent a lot of time in TH in the past, I just wish the country could sort itself out..

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also curious about the penalty for theft?

Terrorized, locked up in a short time hotel, 500,000 baht giving to a fake lawyer from a fake embassy to be divided up among police and mafia types??

Is this standard procedure in Thailand?

In short...YES

Of course the other option is to wait god knows how long in a sh1ithole prison for a trial,be harrassed into pleading guilty to get a lighter sentance, or plead innocent and be found guilty anyway (whether you did it or not)

THEN look forward to dirty dishwater rice soup peppered with cockroaches for the next ten years..

Obviously this is not happenning enough as these fools continue to bung it on for the sake of a 2 bob wallet :)

The English couple are innocent, they paid 8000 pounds to get a piece of paper from the court saying so. Thus what are KP trying to prove with the video? The court of the land says they are innocent. Are they saying extortion is preferable rather than prosecution? Why is this so? Is this professional for a company like this?

Exactly Maichai, these MORONS on here who have been saying they commited an offence when watching the stupid video are the usual Buffalo Falang

have you guys read all the thread?..the piece of paper saying they are innocent was purchased with the 8000 pounds.If they didnt pay it the piece of paper would not exist and they would be in jail awaiting trial now..

and where do you get this idea of any court...it never got that far!!

why is extortion better than prosecution??...because prosecution involves in being harrassed into pleading guilty to get a lighter sentance OR spend ten years in Shi1thole prison.

if you cant see it was them in the video i hope you are not driving around the streets of LOS...or even walking for that matter :)

Presumably this is quite a recent scam? Haven't heard of AOT supporting the gang e.g. Pointing out that the arrests were legitimate. I would think that they would want to avoid this kind of publicity.

I wonder if anyone else saw their official response and a copy of the videos? :)

Its on KP website.. lower left side.

"Shoplifting Case Explanation"

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/index.php

I wonder how many more people are going to post this link and think that nobody else has already :D

The videos and statements prove nothing. There are no clear facial features and it could be anybody. The video of the Irish lady? She puts a black smudge on the counter - could be one item - could be 2 close together. Is a Bobby Brown lipstick the traditional small tube? If so, the blob she puts on the counter looks bigger than just a lipstick. Remember she was accused of stealing the eyeliner as she only had a receipt for the lipstick.

The Irish lady claims that she was apprehended within minutes of leaving the shop.

The KP statement reads that the staff noticed an eyeliner was missing (very observant staff) and after reviewing video of the lady looking at the cosmetics and then supposedly only presenting one item for payment the security staff observed her walking and asked to check her bag. Checking the videos would take some time, certainly more than minutes.

How long after the accused left did they notice the item missing? As they had so few customers, I would have thought it sensible for the bored member of staff who is walking around swinging her arms to check the display while the woman was at the payment desk.

If they did actually look at any video first, they were very lucky to locate and identify this woman in such a huge place.

Nobody with an ounce of integrity could possibly declare these people guilty based on just the evidence we have been allowed to see.

I don't know if the foreigners are guilty or not, but a much bigger crime has been committed here by those who are supposed to "Protect and Serve"

CAN'T SEE ANYTHING FROM THE VIDEO FOOTAGES

I wish Abhisit had more guts to clean up from within. I'm sure he knows about everything.....

PM censures Sohpon for airport's bad press

Tourists being warned of a number of scams

Writer: PRADIT RUANGDIT AND AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK Published: 22/07/2009 at 12:00 AM Newspaper section: NewsPrime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has severely criticised the transport minister and senior officials for failing to keep Suvarnabhumi airport to international standards, a government source says.

The complaint was made yesterday to Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum and Airports of Thailand (AoT) president Serirat Prasutanond at a meeting at Government House following a BBC report of an alleged scam being run at the airport.

Continues here...http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/2068...rport-bad-press

It is now a subject discussed by the Prime Minister at cabinet level :D

Chulchit told a press conference yesterday that the case had caused damage to both King Power and Thai investigators.

He insisted King Power's closed-circuit TV clearly showed the couple at the scene and said the footage could be viewed on King Power's website. Regarding their complaints about being cheated out of extra money, he said this happened the world over whenever people sought help from the wrong channels. blah blah balh :D False reports will tarnish Thailand's image. :)

He said the company's duty-free shops had experienced a few cases of shoplifting each month this year.

At a Cabinet meeting yesterday, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva reportedly expressed concern over a BBC report on this most recent case.

full story :-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/22...es_30108055.php

See the video about the british couple here.....

And make your own opinion.

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

Sorry Guys, but I reckon the videos are at best inconclusive. We have no way of knowing who the people in these videos are. There isn't even a time/date stamp on the video of the "Malaysian" guy and on the video of the "English Couple" it is virtually illegible. Also on the video of "The Irish Case" watch the behaviour of the female staff member with long dark hair wearing a black dress. Did she already suspect wrong doing before the highlighted woman completed her purchase or was she sizing up a potential mug for the scam.

So it's taken from the 26th June, when this current situation was first aired, for the PM to wake up. Must have been a heavy session on the Lao Kao.

From what I read he is concerned it's being reported by the BBC, not that there is large scale corruption and extortion going on.

I can imagine a time in the future when a news report says something like

"Immigration regulation 1.24.11 (iv) Married foreign nationals residing in Thailand being late for their 90 day reporting will be taken out the back of immigration and shot in the head. Their spouses are then required to remove the bodies forthwith or face execution themselves."

and either the PM or some government spokesperson saying

"We are concerned with this tarnishing Thailand's image"

or some such claptrap.

Whoever wrote the idiom "Can't see the wood for the trees" must have spent quite a bit of time in LOS.

Edited by mca

The English couple are innocent, they paid 8000 pounds to get a piece of paper from the court saying so. Thus what are KP trying to prove with the video? The court of the land says they are innocent. Are they saying extortion is preferable rather than prosecution? Why is this so? Is this professional for a company like this?

Exactly Maichai, these MORONS on here who have been saying they commited an offence when watching the stupid video are the usual Buffalo Falang

have you guys read all the thread?..the piece of paper saying they are innocent was purchased with the 8000 pounds.If they didnt pay it the piece of paper would not exist and they would be in jail awaiting trial now..

and where do you get this idea of any court...it never got that far!!

why is extortion better than prosecution??...because prosecution involves in being harrassed into pleading guilty to get a lighter sentance OR spend ten years in Shi1thole prison.

if you cant see it was them in the video i hope you are not driving around the streets of LOS...or even walking for that matter :)

So here's the rub.

I saw her hands pulling up her bag,

most people pull up big bags onto shoulders ever minute or so.

but did NOT see 'clearly enough' evidence of a crime being committed.

No evidence was found on them.

They then paid 8,000£ to get out of the country,

and get an official paper saying the are guilty of NOTHING.

Yet when the pressure is on King Power for not stopping this scam on their turf,

KP POSTS VIDEOS they SAY shows them as guilty...

Police say not guilty, and take their money, but

King Power tries to save face by declaring them guilty again

AFTER the police say they aren't.

Why so much revolving change in status,

is it because KP is scared of the bad PR and tried to stamp out the bad talk?

Once not guilty, are you then likely to be re-accused

just so some one can save their bottom line, or just FACE?

Sure looks that way.

Stuck, I had the SAME problem with The scumbags in the Animal control centre when I brought my Dog from The UK 14 Years ago,FOUR of the Bas*ards DEMANDED 5,000 Baht EACH before they would sign the release forms ( All Other Paperwork in Order ) My Thai Wife & I asked The Sh*thouses "What would happen if I refused to pay the TEA Money ) They All laughed and said......Nothing apart from YOUR Dog will just DIE......Heartless Cu*ts.......

[/qu

World Customs Organization

Rue du Marché, 30

B-1210 Brussels

Belgium

Press enquiries

(Public and Media Relations Division)

Tel: +32 (0)2 209 94 42

Fax: +32 (0)2 209 94 96

Edit:

Publishing email adresses on the forum can lead to spamming of those email adresses. They are there for removed - mario2008

What the Prime Minister needs to do here is investigate these events and publicly fire, prosecute and imprison some of the high ranking corrupt officials and do it quickly.

Anything less than this is not good enough.

Whoever wrote the idiom "Can't see the wood for the trees" must have spent quite a bit of time in LOS.

so it takes a BBC report to get the PM's attention..

so will he actually do anything to put out the media firestorm??

"cant see the tress for the smoke" might be more fitting to this case :)

What the Prime Minister needs to do here is investigate these events and publicly fire, prosecute and imprison some of the high ranking corrupt officials and do it quickly.

we can only hope so

sadly its probably the journos who printed the articles that are in sights..you know,shoot the messenger and all that :)

This thread is becoming so exciting, with post after breathless post from those calling for the resignation of the PM, links to the WCO, suggestions about the PM's priorities and his drinking problems, continuing accusations of a King Power conspiracy (or at least, a cover-up), future immigration laws requiring execution, paranoid tourists complaining about what didn't (but could have) happen(ed), etc, etc - and that's just the previous page :)

Did I say exciting - sorry, I meant silly.

Edited by jackspratt

AFTER the police say they aren't.[/b][/size]

Sure looks that way.

or maybe

- KP accuses the couple of stealing

- Police apprehend the couple and question them - there seems to be a suggestion that they were apprehended twice

- KP submit their video and statements to the police

- Police charge the couple and explain what they need to do to make bail , giving them a look at their accommodation if they do not

- interpreter/legal advice explains to them some options - including paying for the charges to be dropped etc etc

- newspaper article , thai expat forum wailing and gnashing of teeth causes KP to release the video footage of why they accused the couple.

but the scale of this is a trifle when compared to the real corruption involving govt contracts and concessions - Japanese businessmen have been convicted in Japan of paying money to Thai Govt officials and nothing has happened to those involved in Thailand - surely the corruption at the higher levels of govt are more important for the Prime Minister to be focussed on than this pitiful effort at the Airport.

It's immaterial whether this thread has become silly. The main point is that tourists are kidnapped and held for ransom at a crummy airport hotel by those that are meant to serve and protect, for an offence that, according to the law, should cost them no more than 400 Baht and a stern warning.

Let the posts continue to flood in, keeping the pressure up on the Thai government to do something. We are many who are fed up with the conditions in Thailand, so if this can be the catalyst, then I'm all for silly remarks.

What expat would shop at KP anyway. All they sell is overpriced souvenirs etc.

Indeed, KP merely serves most as an idle distraction between flights,

better to hang out at a coffee shop (or bar), at least they're still safe havens, ... for now. :)

Bar, what bar? There are no bars or pubs in Swampi. Sure, restaurants on the fourth floor serve beer & wine, but there isn't anything remotely like an actual "bar" in the entire complex. And once you've passed security and immigration your choices are even more limited. Pretty incredible for a brand new international airport that was promoted as the "best" regional hub airport in SE Asia, but doesn't even have enough capacity to service existing domestic flights. Touts roam freely with total impunity and accost anyone who even momentaritly looks lost or makes fleeting eye contact. Compare this to the new HK airport or the remodel at Changi. Where did the money go? Why would anybody be surprised that they're always coming with new scams. Suwannabuhmi is a national disgrace...

What expat would shop at KP anyway. All they sell is overpriced souvenirs etc.

Indeed, KP merely serves most as an idle distraction between flights,

better to hang out at a coffee shop (or bar), at least they're still safe havens, ... for now. :)

Bar, what bar? There are no bars or pubs in Swampi. Sure, restaurants on the fourth floor serve beer & wine, but there isn't anything remotely like an actual "bar" in the entire complex. And once you've passed security and immigration your choices are even more limited. Pretty incredible for a brand new international airport that was promoted as the "best" regional hub airport in SE Asia, but doesn't even have enough capacity to service existing domestic flights. Touts roam freely with total impunity and accost anyone who even momentaritly looks lost or makes fleeting eye contact. Compare this to the new HK airport or the remodel at Changi. Where did the money go? Why would anybody be surprised that they're always coming with new scams. Suwannabuhmi is a national disgrace...

No its not, nor is it the best. As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Very much like most posts in TV.

AFTER the police say they aren't.[/b][/size]

Sure looks that way.

or maybe

- KP accuses the couple of stealing

- Police apprehend the couple and question them - there seems to be a suggestion that they were apprehended twice

- KP submit their video and statements to the police

- Police charge the couple and explain what they need to do to make bail , giving them a look at their accommodation if they do not

- interpreter/legal advice explains to them some options - including paying for the charges to be dropped etc etc

- newspaper article , thai expat forum wailing and gnashing of teeth causes KP to release the video footage of why they accused the couple.

but the scale of this is a trifle when compared to the real corruption involving govt contracts and concessions - Japanese businessmen have been convicted in Japan of paying money to Thai Govt officials and nothing has happened to those involved in Thailand - surely the corruption at the higher levels of govt are more important for the Prime Minister to be focussed on than this pitiful effort at the Airport.

Congratulations stu - at last a sensible post, rising to the surface in a sea of (mainly) dross.

Edited by jackspratt

Coming here you get rippedoff and now even leaving. Amazing Thailand land of smiles. Ha Ha.Only when they have the chance to ripp you off.Green shirts here we come.

The government should step in quickly though much of the publicity damage is already done. If visitors to the country are arrested their embassy should be contacted at once and an interpreter provided from there. Shops with invisible borders should be categorically told they cannot prosecute anyone unless these borders are clearly marked or the person actually goes to an exit or a departure gate. There is no point in saying that visitors should accept they are in a foreign country since the local officials appear not to be following even Thai law. King Power should make a statement now.

when will Thailand realise that it's reputation as a tourist destination is important because there are other countries waking up to the idea of tourism - vietnam cambodia etc and once Thailand loses it then it will be hard to recover. Maybe the problem is that Thais are taught about how successful their country is - are they ever told how much of that success is due to tourism and people wanting to live there?

I completely agree with all above, and well said! The problem is all the 'if's' and 'should's' in the world don't apply to the Thais who are the most remarkable responsibility dodgers I have ever seen in 25 years of traveling the world. Thai law changes at a whim, there is no substance to it when you try to pin it down. It seems the time has come at last where all this is going to catch up to them and I confess to taking a certain amount of glee at seeing their worried faces as they wonder what the heck happened to all the tourist cash and business investment they themselves have driven away.

Vote with money, I for one, have canceled a planned visit of a group of 20 old friends to Thailand, we are going to Vietnam instead, a country that has been actively doing away with tacky little scams like two tiered pricing for foreigners and one need not fear the police. They 'get it', the Thais don't, and the food in Vietnam is better, too- plus, you don't need to check your stool for worms after eating in the markets there. (I only shop in Jatujak now).

While in danger of veering slightly off-topic here I must say I found it astounding that when I entered and left Vietnam, a nation that my native country fought and lost a war with in my lifetime, I was greeted pleasantly and with respect, and the customs process was a matter of seconds. It was truly depressing to then 'come home' to Thailand to have a surly customs official go through my very well stamped passport with a fine tooth comb searching hopefully for irregularities for over five minutes and then favor me with a scowl as they rudely motioned me through- 'Land of Smiles', which was printed in big letters behind this uniformed troll, is the biggest load of shinola ever.

Edited by JatujakShopper

<br />I am an Indian National and i visit Thailand every year for my GF in hatyai. Though this year i saw lot of changes in hatyai and bangkok. Police is being very rude to tourists and it's worse in Hatyia where i found traffic blocked for hours as the police blocked the roads for VIP's travelling from Airport everyday. Red T-shirt men blocking the airport and now these episodes all point to the downfall of tourism in thailand. I am too worried to travel to thailand next year.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Red T-shirt men blocking the airport?

Last time i was there the REd T-Shirt men were blocking the roads and even had taken over the airport. This is just an example how incidents are pointing to the downfall of tourism industry in thailand. But i know thai people are very nice and king. It's all bad politics that is why it's happening.

<br />I am an Indian National and i visit Thailand every year for my GF in hatyai. Though this year i saw lot of changes in hatyai and bangkok. Police is being very rude to tourists and it's worse in Hatyia where i found traffic blocked for hours as the police blocked the roads for VIP's travelling from Airport everyday. Red T-shirt men blocking the airport and now these episodes all point to the downfall of tourism in thailand. I am too worried to travel to thailand next year.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Red T-shirt men blocking the airport?

I ever heard that incident(tourist being accused by shoplifting) in BKK.... and it's so sad that's it's really happened.... anyway, mr. arefbhat by what mean you said police being rude in hatyai...

I quite often visit songkhla and hatyai... but i don't see any rude by police officer... even i ever chat with a few policeman in the train to hatyai... as i can see, policeman and people in hatyai still loves to smile... they welcome all foreigner....

btw i have a friend, and Gf living in songkhla....

In hatyai police has not been rude to me but in pattaya and bangkok there have been lot of incidents in recent where tourists have been charged with false cases. When i was in hatyai all the roads were blocked by police every day and we had to wait for hours before they let us drive. Overall i like thai people very much. I respect thai people very much please don't feel bad about it i know thai people are not rude at all all this is coz of bad politics nothing else.

there are without doubt people shoplifting as it happens everywhere and not all who visit thailand are on the straight and narrow...my advice......make one of the staff walk around with you as you shop and waste as much of their time as you can then buy nothing...they should soon start hiding from tourists altogether and be unable to accuse anyone from the safety of their hideaway..and kill the profits at the same time :)

What about the tourist police located at the airport - I was at the airport recently and sthere is a very large store-front office on the second level housing the tourist police. I was under the impression that the intention of the tourist police is to intervene for foreigners and represent them in the case of any criminal or legal upset that may be happening. Where were they during this entire ordeal.

The job of the Tourist Police is to assist foreigners who have been VICTIMS of crimes, not to lend assistance to those accused of having COMMITTED crimes. In any event, it's fairly common knowledge that the Tourist Police are the weakest branch in the Thai police heirachy. There's no way they're going to step into the middle of an investigation (or scam) being conducted by another department.