Danish Embassy Warns Against King Power Dutyfree

martin81

668 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the attention from the media I think the sales at taxfree shops like KingPower will drop drastically , at least I hope so .

Maybe this is the start to something better.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Yellow shirts riots at Gov House, they were calling for the expulsion of foreigners. They want us out!

The Thai Police have declared open season on foreigners ever since the coup.

Of all the crap i have read recently i find this one VERY hard to believe.

It would sound more feasable had you said it came from a red shirt rally but im sure the yellowshirts having more specific political goals in mind would not have anything like this on its agenda..

Anyway,if true, for what is such a huge and sweeping statement they certainly have manged to keep it VERY quiet!!

Even thou you can question if the authorities will deal with this "problem" I´m quite amazed that the news has spread so fast and a lot of the media sheds some light on it. Thank God for the internet :D

Exactly. If and when the Thais wake-up and realise the power and the scope of the internet they may begin to consider their actions and policies a lot more thoroughly - what would the negative/positive effect be on our actions? Naaaaaaaaaarrrr :D:D:D

hehe

I can see it now...a thai tourist authority website link for tourists to report injustices so thai authorities can address the immediate damages and long term consequences brought on by inaction and basic aloofness....

maipenrai.com

:)

At the Yellow shirts riots at Gov House, they were calling for the expulsion of foreigners. They want us out!

It would sound more feasable had you said it came from a red shirt rally but im sure the yellowshirts having more specific political goals in mind would not have anything like this on its agenda..

Anyway,if true, for what is such a huge and sweeping statement they certainly have manged to keep it VERY quiet!!

What serpico says is correct, I remember one of the yellow shirts comrades saying that foreigners should indeed be kicked out as they were inferring too much in the politics of Thailand.

Why the speech was not talked about in great detail by the press was the fact that the yellow shirts were being openly protected by some very, very important people.

Even thou you can question if the authorities will deal with this "problem" I´m quite amazed that the news has spread so fast and a lot of the media sheds some light on it. Thank God for the internet :D

Exactly. If and when the Thais wake-up and realise the power and the scope of the internet they may begin to consider their actions and policies a lot more thoroughly - what would the negative/positive effect be on our actions? Naaaaaaaaaarrrr :D:D:D

hehe

I can see it now...a thai tourist authority website link for tourists to report injustices so thai authorities can address the immediate damages and long term consequences brought on by inaction and basic aloofness....

maipenrai.com

:)

Nice one Ozzie :D don't forget outright corruption and self absorbtion :D

The individuals (Thai) who say "kick all foreigners out" are probably not too far up the food chain. When you consider what foreigners contribute to Thailand, money wise, (baht excluded) and what would the repercussions be toward the Thai's who are working/living outside and sending monies back each month, this may be classified as a no brainier, but typical. As many self proclaimed Thai/Chinese in this country are in positions of power/money wise, I would imagine they are astute enough to listen and watch China in this regard. OK, I should know better.

Well come to think of it i guess anythings possible when you have a guy that holds(held?) a government position declaring that the malee at the airport was likened to a good fun peaceful demonstration, a picnic with good food ect or words to that effect

Surely it couldnt have been him that made the comment? :)

Anyone know if the guy has resigned yet?

Well come to think of it i guess anythings possible when you have a guy that holds(held?) a government position declaring that the malee at the airport was likened to a good fun peaceful demonstration, a picnic with good food ect or words to that effect

Surely it couldnt have been him that made the comment? :)

Anyone know if the guy has resigned yet?

Resigned :D . Some of them are Ministers in this "Puppet" government

A very good point. When I first came back in the early 1990s life in Thailand was an adventure. No really swanky shopping malls except for the world trade center, interstate travel was done by bus or train and we would stay on the beach in bamboo huts with no electricity for most of the day for 50bt a day. People who lived like this were on the road and were used to dealing with the ups and downs of differing cultures - I was living in Tokyo at the time having served 9 years in the Royal Navy (an extreme culture in itself).

Nowadays, we have the sky train, the underground, fast food outlets everywhere (most of the big hitters are here, now). For bejasus's sake, there is even a 'Boots the chemist' on Khao San Road! :D The adventurous armed with their street smarts have moved on a long time ago or have settled down to make a good life out here. Those that come have been hoodwinked by the modern facade of Thailand into thinking its run along the lines of a modern first world democracy :) They couldn't be much further from the truth. Yes, the material goods are in place but the culture is still very much 'dog eat dog' (talk to the Thais - they will verify this) and 'buyer beware'. Thailand has long been on the 'danger' lists of embassies around the world but few take this seriously. Consequently, the 'fresh off the boat' are being fleeced or worse at an even more alarming rate as they fall for the most obvious scams :D

Wake up people - this is not 21st century suburbia its 'jungle law' out here. Rule number one: There is always a victim. Rule number two: Don't be it! :D

This is absolutely spot on. We are lulled into a false sense of security by the fast and very visible development of materialism in Thailand, which leads us to believe that we are in a first world country with the rule of law. We are not. We need to avoid anything that gets us into trouble, however unintentional, or through not being familiar with the law, (and I'm not talking about the obvious breaking of the law, as in theft).

If we are caught out by the law of the jungle, either go along with the Thai way of dealing with it, or have the right (influential Thai) people to get the mess sorted out for you. Normal rules do not apply. Unfortunately these scam incidents are highly regrettable, but mostly perpetrated on foreign tourists, with inevitable results.

The spread of information about these incidents through the internet is interesting and enlightening to the rest of the world and wakes people up to the facts of living in and visiting Thailand. I doubt very much there will be any changes to the way things are done here, after a brief interlude of "crackdowns" and other face-saving measures.

The economy is tanking big time, people are losing their jobs and their incomes. Times are going to get a lot tougher and people meaner. You have to be extra vigilant, and take responsilbilty for your own safety. Do not trust anyone you do not know, and do not let yourself get into any compromising situations.

What is the difference between Thailand and Nigeria? The short answer is not much. The longer answer is that most embassies give stern warnings to travelers to alert them that anything done in Nigeria puts you at risk for scams and strong-arm tactics.

How can these lying Thais come out at high levels and tell everyone that they'll investigate? They are in on it.

Corruption in Thailand is not only condoned but encouraged. I had my own taste of it at the airport when the Animal Contol scumbags there held my parrots ransom when my sister brought them into Thailand from the USA. I had to liberate a few hundred dollars from my wallet to free my animals even though the paperwork was ok.

Right on! Can you even imagine this story coming out of Singapore, Hong Kong or Malaysia? King Power Duty Free is supposed to be licensed by the Ministry of Tourism to be located at the airport in the first place. And the tourist police is in on the scam?! Even if the British couple were guilty, they still did not receive "due process" of law.

Yes, Nigeria is more like it.

No, that's what they were saying, "foreigners out!'

What serpico says is correct, I remember one of the yellow shirts comrades saying that foreigners should indeed be kicked out as they were inferring too much in the politics of Thailand.

Why the speech was not talked about in great detail by the press was the fact that the yellow shirts were being openly protected by some very, very important people.

They especially dislike foreign journalists that print the truth. They don't understand Thailand, blah, blah, blah.

I was photographing the yellow riots for a while until they started the anti foreigner stuff at the rallies.

Got uncomfortable. It was cool for a while then one day, many of them started questioning me, why I was there, a journalist?

Same week, my Thai friends started warning me not to go there any longer. Dangerous for foreigners they said.

That 's why it baffles me when I see the anti Thaksin-pro yellow people on here. They must be reading the local english newspapers(propaganda sheets).

Read some banned books and you may not be so impressed with the head of team yellow.

Edited by Serpico

They especially dislike foreign journalists that print the truth. They don't understand Thailand, blah, blah, blah.

I was photographing the yellow riots for a while until they started the anti foreigner stuff at the rallies.

Got uncomfortable. It was cool for a while then one day, many of them started questioning me, why I was there, a journalist?

Same week, my Thai friends started warning me not to go there any longer. Dangerous for foreigners they said.

That 's why it baffles me when I see the anti Thaksin-pro yellow people on here. They must be reading the local english newspapers(propaganda sheets).

Read some banned books and you may not be so impressed with the head of team yellow.

The sad thing is, there is very little difference between Yellow and Red, having read some of those banned books -it's not pleasant reading. In the end the current two factions are only interested in increasing their own wealth and grip on power, and to hel_l with everybody else.

As for the don't understand Thailand, that's a lame excuse all to often used to defend the indefensible.

The sad thing is, there is very little difference between Yellow and Red, having read some of those banned books -it's not pleasant reading. In the end the current two factions are only interested in increasing their own wealth and grip on power, and to hel_l with everybody else.

As for the don't understand Thailand, that's a lame excuse all to often used to defend the indefensible.

Thaksin was a competent CEO. Owned 60 companies....and he had most of that money long before politics.

Check his capitol gains vs the SET. Then check the head of team yellows account for that same period. Then get back to me.

The buffoons that are running the show now, stole their way to the top.

Thaksin was a competent CEO. Owned 60 companies....and he had most of that money long before politics.

Check his capitol gains vs the SET. Then check the head of team yellows account for that same period. Then get back to me.

There is no doubt that the buffoons currently running the show are corrupt, but I think you have subtly missed out how Thaksin came to acquire a lot of his profits prior to becoming involved in politics. I very much doubt that it was by operating in an ethical manner, that didn't involve corruption. It's sad when the two options available at present are both corrupt, it's just a fact of who is the most corrupt? If Thaksin had been able to live side by side with his corrupt buddies, then we wouldn't be in the position that we see now, however as his greed for more money and power grew, those previous buddies became enemies, as both were a threat to each other. Shower of shit, the lot of them, if you ask me.

There are buffoons running the show (who have not yet been accused of wholesale corruption, or egregious breaches of human rights), and there are other buffoons, previously banned on TV for their obsessive focus, but who now post under another name.

Eh! Serpico?

I hope you all get the message loud and clear, LOS doesnt care a fig about tourist (as is well evidenced) we are only 6% of their GDP - so get real.

Only 6% of their GDP? 6% is a pretty large number. Tourism is in the top 5 of Thailand main industries, so i don't think that it is insignificant to their economy.

The estimates of how much a percentage tourism contributes to the economy varies wildly. I have seen estimates from 6% to as high

as 13%. I suspect if you take into account all of the related industries, such as airlines, the airports, the hotels, restaurants, tour companies,

etc., etc., etc., than it is closer to 13%. The nationalists would rather believe the 6% figure. It is easier for them to promote a closed

society, and for them to foster their unique brand of hatred, bigotry, xenophobia, and ignorance. Many forget that Thaksin was one of

the recent guys, to really begin promoting the evil of foreigners. Now, some of the truly ignorant politicians are picking that up. I also

believe that the 13% figure does not add the contribution of ex-pats to the economy. In the long run, it will be good for all of us, if the

tourism industry does collapse, as this will bring an extraordinary day of reckoning to this land, and in the end many heads will roll. We

will see depreciation, and the currency will drop to the level that it deserves. Most ordinary Thais are not xenophobic. But, their lack of

history, world consciousness, and savvy, make them very susceptible to the vitriol of the idiots preaching how evil we are.

The estimates of how much a percentage tourism contributes to the economy varies wildly. I have seen estimates from 6% to as high

as 13%. I suspect if you take into account all of the related industries, such as airlines, the airports, the hotels, restaurants, tour companies,

etc., etc., etc., than it is closer to 13%. The nationalists would rather believe the 6% figure. It is easier for them to promote a closed

society, and for them to foster their unique brand of hatred, bigotry, xenophobia, and ignorance. Many forget that Thaksin was one of

the recent guys, to really begin promoting the evil of foreigners. Now, some of the truly ignorant politicians are picking that up. I also

believe that the 13% figure does not add the contribution of ex-pats to the economy. In the long run, it will be good for all of us, if the

tourism industry does collapse, as this will bring an extraordinary day of reckoning to this land, and in the end many heads will roll. We

will see depreciation, and the currency will drop to the level that it deserves. Most ordinary Thais are not xenophobic. But, their lack of

history, world consciousness, and savvy, make them very susceptible to the vitriol of the idiots preaching how evil we are.

I agree that the tourism industry needs to collapse, but I hope that I'm not living here when it happens, as it would be rough for any farangs till things get sorted ( if ever ).

There is no doubt that the buffoons currently running the show are corrupt, but I think you have subtly missed out how Thaksin came to acquire a lot of his profits prior to becoming involved in politics. I very much doubt that it was by operating in an ethical manner, that didn't involve corruption. It's sad when the two options available at present are both corrupt, it's just a fact of who is the most corrupt? If Thaksin had been able to live side by side with his corrupt buddies, then we wouldn't be in the position that we see now, however as his greed for more money and power grew, those previous buddies became enemies, as both were a threat to each other. Shower of shit, the lot of them, if you ask me.

Agree with you 110% mate... they are both just looking out for them selves and theirs..

You do not need to be guilty to pay a bribe.

I was late for my flight at Hkt to go back to Aus. and the Immigration officer knew it.

He slowed down to a snails pace to check my entry satmps, then decided that 'maybe something wrong'.

Seeing my angst, he suggested I buy a talisman at 500 baht from him and then I would get luck and make my flight.

I bought it and ran to the plane , boarding as they closed the doors...

That talisman really worked.....

QUOTE (stuck @ 2009-07-20 10:29:25)

What is the difference between Thailand and Nigeria? The short answer is not much. The longer answer is that most embassies give stern warnings to travelers to alert them that anything done in Nigeria puts you at risk for scams and strong-arm tactics.

How can these lying Thais come out at high levels and tell everyone that they'll investigate? They are in on it.

Corruption in Thailand is not only condoned but encouraged. I had my own taste of it at the airport when the Animal Contol scumbags there held my parrots ransom when my sister brought them into Thailand from the USA. I had to liberate a few hundred dollars from my wallet to free my animals even though the paperwork was ok.

Right on! Can you even imagine this story coming out of Singapore, Hong Kong or Malaysia? King Power Duty Free is supposed to be licensed by the Ministry of Tourism to be located at the airport in the first place. And the tourist police is in on the scam?! Even if the British couple were guilty, they still did not receive "due process" of law.

Yes, Nigeria is more like it.

Sunsetlover enjoy your next holiday in Nigeria

Please do not compare Thailand to Nigeria, it lacks common sense and is extremely naive.

It would have been easy for these thieves to confess their crime, pay the initial fine and go home, you reap what you sow! :)

And now Bangkok Post calls it Scandal at Suvarnabhumi, interesting article

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigat...at-suvarnabhumi

Thanks for the link:

Scandal at Suvarnabhumi

Several recent cases of alleged extortion at the new airport are in danger of subverting the entire legal system, and scaring tourists away

Writer: Amornrat Mahitthirook and Piyaporn Wongruang

Published: 2/08/2009 at 12:00 AM

Amid embarrassing allegations that police extorted money from a British couple in connection with an alleged shoplifting offence at Suvarnabhumi airport, similar cases are coming to light. Legal consultants and experts believe that if proved true, such scams could subvert the justice system and are no less important than other major corruption cases.

The impact of the allegations has sent ripples around the world, with media organisations in the UK and Ireland highlighting the "scams" that target foreign tourists shopping at the airport. King Power duty-free, which denies any impropriety and has posted video online which it says proves customers were shoplifting, has been identified in two cases by foreign media. Some websites, and at least one European travel advisory, are now warning tourists against the shops at the airport.

Official records show a sharp rise in criminal offences at the airport, especially those involving shoplifting, but it is not easy to get a clear picture of the number of cases involving extortion, as legal experts point out.

Continues here in a long article by the Bangkok Post:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 02-08-2009

LaoPo

And now Bangkok Post calls it Scandal at Suvarnabhumi, interesting article

Thanks for the link:

Scandal at Suvarnabhumi

Several recent cases of alleged extortion at the new airport are in danger of subverting the entire legal system, and scaring tourists away

Writer: Amornrat Mahitthirook and Piyaporn Wongruang

Published: 2/08/2009 at 12:00 AM

Amid embarrassing allegations that police extorted money from a British couple in connection with an alleged shoplifting offence at Suvarnabhumi airport, similar cases are coming to light. Legal consultants and experts believe that if proved true, such scams could subvert the justice system and are no less important than other major corruption cases.

The impact of the allegations has sent ripples around the world, with media organisations in the UK and Ireland highlighting the "scams" that target foreign tourists shopping at the airport. King Power duty-free, which denies any impropriety and has posted video online which it says proves customers were shoplifting, has been identified in two cases by foreign media. Some websites, and at least one European travel advisory, are now warning tourists against the shops at the airport.

Official records show a sharp rise in criminal offences at the airport, especially those involving shoplifting, but it is not easy to get a clear picture of the number of cases involving extortion, as legal experts point out.

Continues here in a long article by the Bangkok Post:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 02-08-2009

LaoPo

Perhaps tufty should read this post.

One major bank has issued an advisory on Thailand to some of its customers. I received an email yesterday.

What planet is he living on?