Driving Licens For Farang?

Zappo

It took me 5 minutes to get both my car and my bike license here in Indo.

Photo, finger print and produce the card. Cost US$60 for fast track though.

I don't have any other drivers license, not even my home country but it didn't matter as they never asked anyway.

When and if she gets the license, she will then get to deal with all the BIB moto-traps!

What is BIB motor traps? Police check points asking for "fine" money?

Yes. Motorcycles are the predominent targets.

When i took the motorcycle practical test about 3 years ago I rented a bike from someone standing around the area. I had the luxury of walking the the test course before I did the test. One official ride around and I passed. I am 62. I have never seen the bike I used on the test.

You say your 18 year old is a fully trained rider from the home land but she had trouble with the brake? Most EU countries and also the US states have stringent laws regarding the licensing of motorbike drivers.

In LOS the kids are raised on motorbikes. Before they can walk they are riding in the front hanging on. Riding a bike is second nature to them. Do they know and obey the rules? No way but they know how to ride a bike around cones and down a board. They do it every day all their life. I think some may do it blindfolded and pass. They all drive like they are blind anyway.

Your home country driver license with IDP is sufficient to comply with the law and insurance requirements.

Which may be true provided you dont stay in country more than 3 months, as technically Thailand only recognises use of a IDP and home country DL for a period of 3 months, after which a "resident" should be using a Thai DL.

The obvious thought that comes up is if some one is doing 90 day "visa runs" then for them at least the "clock" on the above requirement should go back to zero, every time they leave and come back to Thailand

Try driving past one of the many Thai police road blocks on an uninsured motorbike without a Thai license. Then wait to see what happens !

And I guess you could try the same test in any Western country with same results.

I must have been pulled over 100 times on motorbikes for one reason or another, not once has insurance ever been mentioned, or for that matter, being so drunk I could hardly stand up straight.. :)

Well around Nonthaburi they have weekly police road blocks on the main road and everybody has to show their insurance papers and driving license.

Upcountry things may be different but even there when they pulled me over the first thing the ask for is my driving license.

Your home country driver license with IDP is sufficient to comply with the law and insurance requirements.

A Thai driving license is only good for the game of one-upmanship foreigners play against each other or their unfulfilled desire to be accepted.

Of course as another poster pointed out you might be able to use it to get into the many over-rated and rubbish strewn National Parks and some other places that if they have a dual-pricing policy I'd warrant probably aren't worth visiting.

Well Thai law only allows you to drive on an international driving license for 6 months.

So if you regularly leave the country and reenter you could do with just a IDP and your home license.

If you however do not leave the country every 6 months you have to get a local license.

However I doubt if they would make a problem of it but legally they could.

Anyhow only way for a foreigner to get accepted IMHO is learn to speak Thai.

edit: 3 or 6 months not sure of this.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Greetings all and forgive an innocent question from a newbie... Having visited Thailand regularly for the last three years from Vietnam I now live here in Hua Hin.

I have lost my Aussie DL somewhere in the last 2 months... bugger it. I have a Vietnam License (which is basically worthless given the fact it issued on the basis of employment rather than expertise) and need a Thai license as I ride large fast and expensive motorbikes. I would not like to take the chance of voiding my insurance.

help please:

1. Can I get a Thai license without anything more than your average tourist visa? As I work rotation on oil rigs a 4 week visa has never been an issue, so I have a passport littered with them. Never had a more "solid" visa. I do have a house contract in my name in HH.

2. If anyone is from HH and knows where to go I would be most grateful.

3. I have the time... I am home for 4 weeks at a time and have learnt in Vietnam when dealing with beauracracy take a book and lots of cigarettes.

Cheers,

f0xxxee

f0xxee you are not supposed to be able to get a licence without a non-immigrant visa, that said there are many on this board who (say they) have got Thai licences whilst on Tourist Visas.

This thread has managed to get to two pages without finding its way to the motoring forum, it's moving there now (and there's a pinned thread all about getting a local licence) :)

Hi all

I have my daughter for visit 8 weeks. I wanted her to become mobile so when she arrived she started the procedure to get a motorbike driving license.

First obstacle was the question test. She is only 18 and not too familiar with some English words. She was not allowed to bring a lexikon to the test. This means that all farangs who cannot read English VERY good cannot pass? In my home country that is discrimination.

Also seems to me that many questions have multiple possible answers. Not easy, even for me having had a european driving license for 40 year.

Anyway, she passed and time to do the driving test. She lined up and the instructors gave som good advice to all students. IN THAI.

Now, my daughter do not understand thai, which means she used the brake when she svirwled around the cones. Did not pass, of course.

Next week she tries again, but missed 30 cm at the end of the long board. Did not pass, of course.

Many thais put down their foot during the test, but they passsed.

Now heres the questions I hope someone can answer.

I have a bad feeling that thais pass easily but farang must pass 110%. I hope I am wrong.

When driving the long board test there are yellow lines to the left up to 70% of the length. To me that means you have to be on the board as far as the lines. My daughter went off AFTER the lines. What are the lines for.

Now, finally they tell me she cannot do a new test until 6 months. Means she is effectively stopped.

All this trouble for nothing. My daughter have more than two year experience of a so called EU-motorbike in Sweden but cannot pass a thai test though trying several times.

I am against bribing but this is one of the times that I might consider it. I feel my daughter have been jurked around and that the system do whatever they can to stop farangs getting a driving license.

Can anyone answer me?

Surely the easiest answer is simply get her an International Driving Permit. She is only here for a few weeks.

• 11 months later...

thanks bitches.

a year later and my 1 year license is getting close to the end.

i wont ask for any advice.

thanks in advance!

ef

Dear ef,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on our products and services.

I refer to your complaint from the 29th of July 2010, in which you expressed your dissatisfaction with the lack of response to your inquiry dating back to the 29th July 2009.

I am currently compiling a list of all members who may have viewed and failed to respond to your original inquiry, and will be personally interviewing each of them regarding the manner in which they handled the situation in order to decide upon the appropriate corrective action required.

Please note that my inquiries may be compromised by the fact that most members on this forum wish to remain anonymous, and also that I have absolutely no access to the log files nor membership details of the members of this site. Translation of your original inquiry has also proven difficult, given the lack of grammar used, and the many possible meanings that can be applied to the acronyms you've chosen to use in lieu of plain English.

Please do however understand that we, the members of the Thai Visa Motoring forums are taking your complaint seriously, and will continue to strive to offer you service levels that exceed in failing to meet your expectations.

Yours Sincerely,

MRO

thanks bitches.

a year later and my 1 year license is getting close to the end.

i wont ask for any advice.

thanks in advance!

ef

Dear ef,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on our products and services.

I refer to your complaint from the 29th of July 2010, in which you expressed your dissatisfaction with the lack of response to your inquiry dating back to the 29th July 2009.

I am currently compiling a list of all members who may have viewed and failed to respond to your original inquiry, and will be personally interviewing each of them regarding the manner in which they handled the situation in order to decide upon the appropriate corrective action required.

Please note that my inquiries may be compromised by the fact that most members on this forum wish to remain anonymous, and also that I have absolutely no access to the log files nor membership details of the members of this site. Translation of your original inquiry has also proven difficult, given the lack of grammar used, and the many possible meanings that can be applied to the acronyms you've chosen to use in lieu of plain English.

Please do however understand that we, the members of the Thai Visa Motoring forums are taking your complaint seriously, and will continue to strive to offer you service levels that exceed in failing to meet your expectations.

Yours Sincerely,

MRO

Very funny MRO!!..that's so money and right on..keep up the good work..

Edited by reefsurfah

MBIAG I DNK HWNUMP sorry MRO he asked what was his next step, I think I said " if you have you left leg behind you then put the right leg forward and so on " what's so bitchy about that ??? It was advice.