Dual Passport

doppa

is it possible for a child to have dual nationality, ie uk/thai, or is it a case of having to choose between one or another at 18, ta

Both countires allow dual nationality and there is no need to choose between one of them when the child turns 18.

is it possible for a child to have dual nationality, ie uk/thai, or is it a case of having to choose between one or another at 18, ta

My experience with my kids - don't tell them.

Get both passports as soon as you can.

Does the other side know they have a foreign (UK) / Thai passport - probably not if you don't tell them.

If you're kids grow up here & have a Thai ID card, then the crunch comes with military service - their name has to go in the draw.

Otherwise I don't think it is a problem.

Depart Thailand on the Thai passport & when overseas use the farang passport. Re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

Get both passports as soon as you can.

Does the other side know they have a foreign (UK) / Thai passport - probably not if you don't tell them.

If you're kids grow up here & have a Thai ID card, then the crunch comes with military service - their name has to go in the draw.

Otherwise I don't think it is a problem.

Depart Thailand on the Thai passport & when overseas use the farang passport. Re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

Don't ask, don't tell. That's the best advice. Thai for Thai ports of exit/entry and UK for UK nuff said. :)

Both my kids have both British and Thai passports (as does my wife). They use Thai in Thai immigration and British in the UK. Never had an issue either end. They are both registered with the Thai Embassy in London and the British Embassy in Bangkok.

I think there were issues many years ago, but both countries allow dual nationality and are well aware of it these days.

Isn't it a problem when leaving Thailand with a Thai passport with no visa for the UK? Do you need to show both passports to show your that you can legally enter UK?

At check-in you always show both passports, so that the airline knows you don't need a visa.

As said, under Thai and UK law you can have dual naitonality. In Thailand there are however a few immigration officers who don't like this. Always stay firm but polite and ask to speak to a superior.

"If you're kids grow up here & have a Thai ID card, then the crunch comes with military service - their name has to go in the draw"

I heard that if they go to university then they are exempt from millitary service. Do you know if this is true?

cheers

"If you're kids grow up here & have a Thai ID card, then the crunch comes with military service - their name has to go in the draw"

I heard that if they go to university then they are exempt from millitary service. Do you know if this is true?

cheers

If you have a son with Thai nationality he will be eligible for national service. A lot of kids elect to do "Raw Daw" military training while at high school, if they complete the training they're exempt. If they don't do this and don't go to Uni. they must do 2 years for their King & country.

A lot of kids elect to do "Raw Daw" military training while at high school, if they complete the training they're exempt. If they don't do this and don't go to Uni. they must do 2 years for their King & country.

If he doesn't do raw daw but does go to uni?

How long does the raw daw take? at what age does one do it?

thank you

If he doesn't do raw daw but does go to uni?

How long does the raw daw take? at what age does one do it?

thank you

Raw Daw starts when they're in M3 and continues untill M5 or M6 depending on how many hours they put in. It's done through the high school and they are required to do certain activities such as marching, camping ect. It may vary from province to province but many young men participate for the express purpose of avoiding national service. The risk you take if your son doesn't do this and opts for Uni. but doesn't graduate or worse doesn't get in, he's still eligible for service. But if he does go to Uni, get's his degree he's fine.

This info comes from kids I know going through High school and are in the R.D. program Good Luck.

Hear hear, I always try to hide as much from my kids as possible. No need to be telling them about stuff like nationality. :)

He'll be going to school in uk so can't do the raw daw, so i'll b sure to tell him he better get in to uni unless he fancys a couple of years in the army instead.

Thanks for the info

I was told that payments can be made to avoid service.  Any truth to this?  My son is only 19 months old but doesn't, and probably never will look Thai.  Has anyone ever heard how faranging looking  Thais are dealt with while in raw daw or doing their two years?   My son will probably spend the first 11 years in America but will spend several years after that in Thailand.  I'd prefer that he not spend time in either the Thai or American military. 

I mad a small mistake yesterday. Raw Daw starts in M4 to M6 3 years in the program will exempt Thai boys from 2 years national service. Going to Uni. and getting a degree will only reduce the time to 6 months service. Going to another country will only delay the process. I'm certain there's ways around it but bribery may be the right of Government officials and the social elite, but it's a bit of a slippery slope for farangs as we criticize Thais for being corrupt and encourage the practice when it benifits us and ours. Let the kids do their degrees and spend 6 months in the army. You never know it might make men out of them and give something back to the country that, let's face it, welcomes us. :)

One more thing, if boys don't do Raw Daw and reach 21 they must registerand enter a kinda of lotto and pick a counter out of a bag (Jap Chala) if they get the wrong colour they're in, the right color they're off the hook. I'm certain there are ways round it but let a Thai person handle it.

Edited by sk1max

I forgot that I had a step son that just turned 15 and is going to high school in America.  He's Thai with a pernament residency card and I have no idea if he will be going to college or if he wants to go back to Thailand after finishing his education.  I guess I'll have to deal with the Thai military sooner than I thought.

I live in Chiang Mai with my Thai wife and daughter.

I met and married my wife in England and our daughter was born in England.

Wife now 56, daughter 19, both have British and Thai passports with no problems.

It is legal, but as some posters have quoted here; the less said the better.