Skype Unlimited Calling Plans Now Include Thailand

mjperry

Some good news for people who need to call Thailand regularly for extended periods, Skype have added a few new countries to their unlimited calling plans with Thailand being one of them.

You can now call Thai landlines and mobiles as part of your unlimited subscription if you have the 'Unlimited World' plan or can choose to subscribe to 'Unlimited Country' for Thailand alone.

The current cost of the 'Unlimited Country' just to call Thailand unlimited is £2.95/month and for the 'Unlimited World' plan to call 40 countries including Thailand is £6.95/month

Some good news for people who need to call Thailand regularly for extended periods, Skype have added a few new countries to their unlimited calling plans with Thailand being one of them.

You can now call Thai landlines and mobiles as part of your unlimited subscription if you have the 'Unlimited World' plan or can choose to subscribe to 'Unlimited Country' for Thailand alone.

The current cost of the 'Unlimited Country' just to call Thailand unlimited is £2.95/month and for the 'Unlimited World' plan to call 40 countries including Thailand is £6.95/month

Sounds good.

I wish they would add the Philippines as well, Skype charges 16p a minute to phone there.

For anybody in the same situation as me, if you have a UK base, you can get a 25% refund from Skype credit by going through the Quidco website.

I wish they would add the Philippines as well, Skype charges 16p a minute to phone there.

You know, I think that the Philippines telecoms or internet providers are enforcing a usage fee for incoming calls. The charges always seem a lot higher than other places. My paranoid thinking makes me believe that they feel with so many overseas workers sending money home and calling home, why cut the charges. Maybe I have been watching too many conspiracy movies. :)

TheWalkingMan

why don't you use siptraffic.

only 7.2 euro cent to phil mobile

for thailand i use voipdiscount.

call to thai mobile and landline for free.. well.. 5 hours per 7 days anyways :)

how's the skype-out quality nowadays?

i tried it back in the days but the quality was really bad then (and very expensive).

Could be useful as the UK providers are apparently charging 8p plus VAT to set up a call on a 1p a minute line !

I'm on $ based Skype (can change I know) and it is $5.95 a month so it would be cheaper to go on the £ version (unless the USD goes above 2 again). Europe landlines available at $7.95 and $12.95 for worldwide. You'd have to set yourself up as outside the EU or they'd want VAT as well !

Other options from the UK are local call access where you tell them your number and you are assigned a local number for each Thai number you want to call. If your local calls are free, then your costs are 0.8p per minute. At £5 minimum top up, you'd get 625 minutes. At 0.8p you'd have to use more than 369 minutes (2.95/.8) a month to make Skype more cost efficient. That is over 10 minutes a day.

You know, I think that the Philippines telecoms or internet providers are enforcing a usage fee for incoming calls. The charges always seem a lot higher than other places. My paranoid thinking makes me believe that they feel with so many overseas workers sending money home and calling home, why cut the charges. Maybe I have been watching too many conspiracy movies. :)

TheWalkingMan

Don't think there's any conspiracy involved the carriers of a country definitely set the rates for inbound calling, this is the reason why it's still so expensive to call to the UK as well through most VoIP services

Martin

Hi,

I still think the offer from TOT (17 satang/min to all numbers in Thailand) is still very interesting. The quality is crystal clear, even from overseas.

See a former thread on this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Voip-17-Sata...xe-t200595.html

I used it for nearly an hour per day for almost 6 months from the US, it worked very well. I initially was using a Linksys PAP2 analog phone adapter but changed to the softphone called Zoiper and a headset. My main complaint is the short validity period. Even the largest package, 500 baht, is only valid for 120 days. Calling thai numbers, that works out to 2941 minutes or an average of 24.5 minutes per day.

Skype is far more secure though, SIP calls are very easy to listen in on.

Quite so. According to a recent Sky News documentary, Fillipino workers repariate an estimated 5billion US dollars per year. Of course companies want a slice where they can get it. However, I've met lots of Fillipinos during my stay in Thailand and a large majority have told me how they use internet phone services for free after somehow 'hacking'.

I got this a while ago, 12 month sub. well worth the money. Also use "Skype to Go" for the sisters in australia. They call a local melbourne number, it then goes over my skype account (free) to a set of numbers i set up. Saves shedloads of cash

I got this a while ago, 12 month sub. well worth the money. Also use "Skype to Go" for the sisters in australia. They call a local melbourne number, it then goes over my skype account (free) to a set of numbers i set up. Saves shedloads of cash

I'm a newbie at all this.....does the person at the Thai end neen a computer and internet access, or just a phone, landline or cell/mobile

Penkoprod

I'm a newbie at all this.....does the person at the Thai end neen a computer and internet access, or just a phone, landline or cell/mobile

Penkoprod

Just a landline or cell. Skype to Skype is always free.

Penkoprod

Just a landline or cell. Skype to Skype is always free.

Thanks

Quite so. According to a recent Sky News documentary, Fillipino workers repariate an estimated 5billion US dollars per year. Of course companies want a slice where they can get it. However, I've met lots of Fillipinos during my stay in Thailand and a large majority have told me how they use internet phone services for free after somehow 'hacking'.

For all the money flowing back to that country, it should be a vibrant, well developed country. But it's corruption galore there. I think they tax the heck out of anything that is easily taxable like big companies (and skim it to Swiss bank accounts). The underground economy can just skirt the taxes. The taxes on airline tickets was just about equal to the ticket prices on a few internal flights I took 2 years ago. Mobile probably has a heavy tax too.

Personally, I prefer Vonage. I've lived in Europe and now live in Thailand and have kept my US phone number. My friends from back home can call me regular US number and not pay a dime over normal charges to call me. I also got a virtual UK number so my contacts in Europe can call me and only pay the cost of calling London. Plus I got the Asia package for $10 a month so I can call several countries in Asia using the same phone for unlimited calls.

I think (too lazy to check) I pay $29.99 for the basic unlimited calling plan on Vonage, plus $10 a month for a UK phone number, and another $10 for the Asia package. I might drop the Asia package as now I'm living in Thailand and really have no need to call here from my Vonage account. So for $49 a month I have a US and UK phone number that my friends and business contacts can call me on without incurring long distance charges and I can call them and talk for as long as I want for free. Oh, and unlike Skype, I have a regular telephone handset (I know you can buy a Skype handset but I can use ANY handset). I've actually taken my Vonage box with me to hotels and just plugged everything in, unhooked the hotel's room phone and plugged it into the Skype box, and it's like being back home.