Bank Account? (stupid Question)

I do not have (and will not be able to get) any fancy residencies, work permits, visas, or anything of the sort. I have (and will only have) the standard "30 days, run to the border, get another 30 days" deal.

Can I have a bank account in Thailand without too much hassle? Or do I have to have fancy "invitations," fancy visas or residencies, work permits, yadda yadda?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting conflicting information. What I've read is that I have to have fancy requirements or go through some fancy process that I'm simply not going to be able to do. On the other hand, I have a Thai friend who lives in the U.S. as a citizen there, and she claims that she not only has a bank account in Thailand, but that she got the bank account under her American name and passport, and under her American citizenship. She said she did nothing except walk into the bank and apply, under her American credentials.

Anyway, any answers would be appreciated, because I really need a bank account, and the ability to wire money and so forth.

Thanks.

I do not have (and will not be able to get) any fancy residencies, work permits, visas, or anything of the sort.  I have (and will only have) the standard "30 days, run to the border, get another 30 days" deal.

Can I have a bank account in Thailand without too much hassle?  Or do I have to have fancy "invitations," fancy visas or residencies, work permits, yadda yadda?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting conflicting information.  What I've read is that I have to have fancy requirements or go through some fancy process that I'm simply not going to be able to do.  On the other hand, I have a Thai friend who lives in the U.S. as a citizen there, and she claims that she not only has a bank account in Thailand, but that she got the bank account under her American name and passport, and under her American citizenship.  She said she did nothing except walk into the bank and apply, under her American credentials.

Anyway, any answers would be appreciated, because I really need a bank account, and the ability to wire money and so forth.

Thanks.

You can open an account and get an atm card at any Bangkok Bank even with a 30 day entry stamp in your passport.

As they ask for a local adress on your form it helps to have a Thai friend give his/her adress. You will not have access to internet banking with this account unless you obtain another visa type.

Godd luck

Have a search on the other threads and you will find a lot of info

You will have no problems opening a bank account. The 2 most popular banks are Kasikorn Thai (Thaifarmers bank) & Bangkok Bank. Personly I got thai farmers bank. However, in my experience Bangkok Bank offers better services in speaking english + ability to issue a cheque in USD.

No worries, you got lots of choices.

I do not have (and will not be able to get) any fancy residencies, work permits, visas, or anything of the sort.  I have (and will only have) the standard "30 days, run to the border, get another 30 days" deal.

Can I have a bank account in Thailand without too much hassle?  Or do I have to have fancy "invitations," fancy visas or residencies, work permits, yadda yadda?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting conflicting information.  What I've read is that I have to have fancy requirements or go through some fancy process that I'm simply not going to be able to do.  On the other hand, I have a Thai friend who lives in the U.S. as a citizen there, and she claims that she not only has a bank account in Thailand, but that she got the bank account under her American name and passport, and under her American citizenship.  She said she did nothing except walk into the bank and apply, under her American credentials.

Thanks.

I use Bank of Asia (ABN Amro).

Showed them my passport in order to prove my name.

Then an address in Thailand.

Then i got an ATM card, and can use Internet banking as well.

It all took 45 minutes.

Sailor