Cinema At Kad Suan Kaew

bojo

Nothing to do midday, so went to see the new Johnny Depp movie today at Kad Suan Kaew.

I thought it was too good to be true @90b, should have splashed out and gone to airport plaza.

The film was OK, some great old tunes in the background but you could hardly here the dialogue. 'Er indoors had no problems with the subtitles though!

It was almost warm in there which makes a change from having to take a jacket I suppose and the old a/c unit was clanking away in the eaves.

You certainly get what you pay for, the shopping centre needs a total revamp.

Mind you if you wanna go to airport plaza, you can always have a lie in as the place doesn't open until a ridiculous 11am, the days half over for some!

I read some news recently that a new mall might be developed in the not too distant future. Any whispers?

Regards Bojo

Thank you, "bojo", for posting that helpful warning.

Will save money and avoid disappointment.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

I love going to the theatres at the Kad. True, it's not as new as the ones at Airport Plaza but it is far less crowded. Whenever I've gone to the Airport Plaza theatres, I find that it's very crowded.

As far as the sound and aircon, I've never noticed a problem at Kad. Too bad you had a bad experience.

Nothing to do midday, so went to see the new Johnny Depp movie today at Kad Suan Kaew.

I thought it was too good to be true @90b, should have splashed out and gone to airport plaza.

The film was OK, some great old tunes in the background but you could hardly here the dialogue. 'Er indoors had no problems with the subtitles though!

It was almost warm in there which makes a change from having to take a jacket I suppose and the old a/c unit was clanking away in the eaves.

Mind you if you wanna go to airport plaza, you can always have a lie in as the place doesn't open until a ridiculous 11am, the days half over for some!

I read some news recently that a new mall might be developed in the not too distant future. Any whispers?

Regards Bojo

Are you serious? I've never seen a cinema open before 11:00 in any country I've ever been to. Why should it be different here?

Regards Bojo

Did you see many old farangs walking around the international food court looking for luve?

Regards Bojo

Did you see many old farangs walking around the international food court looking for luve?

No, must have been a bit early at 2pm for them, but I have to admit, after all the hype a coupla weeks ago regarding the 'secret door' and so on I was rather intrigued. I sneaked a pervy peek while the Mrs went to the loo and thankfully... Yes, I'm very glad to report, there we're three high heeled thingy's waiting at the entrance for people like me. Looks like there's a demand and supply situation now, more staff employed. Proof that TV really does work.

Can I change my mind now sbout the warm a/c etc, I think actually the visit was well worth while.

You see, sometimes you get more than what you pay for!

Regards Bojo

Regards Bojo

Are you serious? I've never seen a cinema open before 11:00 in any country I've ever been to. Why should it be different here?

Yes, I was serious, but I forgot to add the words' for shopping' ! well spotted.

regards Bojo

Bit of a rat's maze that place and probably not the best place to be in the event of a fire. Central is good there though along with IT City and the sports store underneath.

In the event of fire, perhaps the best option would be the swimming pool on the roof for a cool refreshing dip until the flames get doused and hope the building won't collapse.

Th sports store in my mind is the best the mall to offer, with exception of the mini chocolate donuts in Mister Donut and the dubious goings on's up top.

Regards Bojo

Regards Bojo

No, must have been a bit early at 2pm for them, but I have to admit, after all the hype a coupla weeks ago regarding the 'secret door' and so on I was rather intrigued. I sneaked a pervy peek while the Mrs went to the loo and thankfully... Yes, I'm very glad to report, there we're three high heeled thingy's waiting at the entrance for people like me. Looks like there's a demand and supply situation now, more staff employed. Proof that TV really does work.

Can I change my mind now sbout the warm a/c etc, I think actually the visit was well worth while.

Regards Bojo

What is this about a 'secret door'? Now you've piqued my interest!

Regards Bojo

Regards Bojo

What is this about a 'secret door'? Now you've piqued my interest!

i love the place, good food, friendly people Central is to big

I really like Central it is a real community meeting place as well as a shopping centre. Like most Central stores it is wheelchair accessible, a rarity in this country and it even has an excellent wheelchair toilet which would meet international specifications. Unfortunately the cinemas at both Central and Airport Plaza however are not accessible.

I want to know about the door too.

Regards Bojo

A large 'Phuket' style Central is planned for the Doi Saket road / ring road intersection, but the development has been put on hold for the moment.

Iain

Regards Bojo

A large 'Phuket' style Central is planned for the Doi Saket road / ring road intersection, but the development has been put on hold for the moment.

Iain

Thank f%&k for that, lets hope it stays permantly on hold :)

I'm afraid I don't know the title of the post, hopefully another member will oblige but there was a hilarious post regarding the restaurant adjacent to the cinema in Kad Suan Kaew. The poster went to eat there and when he turned around there was some babe in high heels hovering over him asking about him in general. I think he went there a second time and a similar thing happenned. He mentioned it was as if there was some 'secret door'. Yes admittedly, I did have a pervy peek, but lost my bottle and didn't go inside proper, the stillettos frightened me off. The place is a little mysterious, dimly lit and certainly doesn't resemble your average Pad Thai eaterie. Enjoy.

Regards bojo

There are two new big shopping mall projects.

1) Promenada (a dutch firm if I remember it right, opening a very large shopping mall in CM)

2) Central Festival Chiang Mai (the plan looks almost exactly the same as the one in Pattaya)

1. where is Promenada expected to be located?

2. Where can I get a look at the plans for Central Festival Chiang Mai?

Thanks

Sad you had a bad experience at Kad Suan Gaew... usually we find it is fine and don't mind paying so much less as well... many times at Airport Plaza the movie is out of focus which doesn't happen at Kad Suan Gaew... and I don't get migraines there either... airport plaza gives me those with all the people and loud, loud music and lights and stuff - ew... :)

My first choice for movies is KSK for the following reasons:

1. I can walk to KSK

2. the price is cheaper at KSK, even with the senior discount at Airport

3. I don't have to take/pay a song taew (which contributes to reason #2)

4. I can walk home if the movie gets out late, rather than returning home via tuk-tuk because I can't find a song taew outside Airport after 11 pm (which contributes to reason #2)

5. the theater at KSK sets their showtime schedule a week in advance which means I can plan what I'm doing the next day, rather than waiting until 11 am for the Airport schedule to show up on the internet

6. after buying my ticket, instead of waiting with noisy crowds (like at Airport) I can go to the Otime restaurant/bar, enjoy a beer in a relaxing environment and watch all the sweet young ladies in their stillettos trying to earn money for their advanced college studies. They're even nice to me, keeping my glass full, because I might buy another beer and leave a tip.

Here's what I don't like about the movies at KSK

1. often they offer movies with a Thai soundtrack and no subtitles. Although I'm taking Thai lessons, I really appreciate English subtitles. I figure it helps me to learn the language to watch movies with Thai soundtracks and English subtitles. I wish the TV soap operas had English soundtracks. They look fascinating to me!

2. a few of the theaters at KSK do have sub-standard sound systems or seating

3. as mentioned, the place has no handicap accessibility, with many narrow steps and low ceilings that have injured my tall Hubby. One of these days I'm going to fall on those steps.

4. The bathrooms are really foul. I try to visit the excellent facilities in the Central dept store before the show, but (what with the beer at Otime's) I often have to use the cinema's restrooms right after the show. Frightful.

Regards Bojo

I read last week in the Chiang Mai Mail, that some American company is going to build a Bangkok status type shopping mall on the Superway not far from Careforre.

But I`ve heard all this before, including the building of a Chiang Mai underground train system,

Disney style theme park and a dry ski slope, all that never transpired.

So I`ll believe it when I see it.

Regards Bojo

I agree, the sound in cinema 4 where Public Enemies is playing was terriblly substandard and there was a loud 'whirring' sound either from the camera or air con. However, in 5 where The Taking of Pelham 123 is playing the sound was fine and no other 'whirring' distractions.

I thought the Johny Depp film was crap - Dillinger movies have already been done much better The Taking of Pelham 123 was quite good.

I just watched a movie in Vista @ Kad last night. I believe it was the smallest theater room number 7. The movie was great, theater was ok, a bit too cold as they always are, but my experience was good. We did go to airport first, but I could not stand the very loud noise outside the theater. They had several Thais with microphones and thats never good :)

Anyway I liked the one in Kad.

I just watched the same film. Public Enemies, in cinema 4. Had the same whirring problem and sound went low in places, but it's only 70 baht monday to thursday. Plus i like the fact that KSGaew is quiet. The swimming pool in Lotus hotel 7th floor is good value 100 baht, and the bowling is fun. Looking forward to GI Joe

hi

i've recently watched "up" in #7 in ksk cinema, did not notice anything uncomfortable about the a/c or sound quality. was very uncrowded in the english version theatre, had center view and sweet popcorn, good experience imo. this was at 12 noon.

I read last week in the Chiang Mai Mail, that some American company is going to build a Bangkok status type shopping mall on the Superway not far from Careforre........

So I`ll believe it when I see it.

Believe it. It has been in the papers a few times in the last year or so. First when it was announced - then when it was shelved - then when it was resurrected. It is the Central group - so not sure where you got the American bit

There is two plans in the pipeline. One by Central group and one more by the Emporium/Mall group. The one near the Superhighway at the Doi Saket intersection is by Central group and that one is on hold. The Mall group are building something very soon near Big-C superhighway. Not sure of the exact location. Have not heard any project for the Nimmanheimen side.