Thailand Banks With Branches In The Us?

That was might be the answer but the Posri Road Branch here in Udon is not easy to deal with at all. So I'm hoping.

I'm trying to set up a direct deposit from my retirement in the states with an automatic transfer. Bangkok Bank can do it. But, I simply don't like their local branches service. You have to go in and pick it up personally. That's not a problem and once it's set up you can do go any branch and withdraw it. So that might just be the only answer.

Thanks

The way you set up the transfer process is that your (major?) USA bank makes 2 small deposits of less than one dollar into your Bangkok Bank account. You then have to log on to your USA bank's outside-the-bank transfer set-up page and enter those 2 amounts.

The problem is that your Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand will show those amounts as already converted to Baht which will not work. You have to go to a foreign exchange desk of Bangkok Bank (which might not necessarily have to be your home branch in Udon) and have them look at your account's actual NYC deposits and print out those 2 amounts say 73 cents and 54 cents. You then plug those 2 numbers into the set-up page and from that point on you never have to deal with Bangkok Bank in person again (except to get a new passbook when the old one fills up).

The way you set up the transfer process is that your (major?) USA bank makes 2 small deposits of less than one dollar into your Bangkok Bank account. You then have to log on to your USA bank's outside-the-bank transfer set-up page and enter those 2 amounts.

The problem is that your Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand will show those amounts as already converted to Baht which will not work. You have to go to a foreign exchange desk of Bangkok Bank (which might not necessarily have to be your home branch in Udon) and have them look at your account's actual NYC deposits and print out those 2 amounts say 73 cents and 54 cents. You then plug those 2 numbers into the set-up page and from that point on you never have to deal with Bangkok Bank in person again (except to get a new passbook when the old one fills up).

Could you please tell me what Bangkok Bank's US domestic routing number is?

THANKS!!!

I'm currently waiting fro the transfer to be approved by their New York Branch.

They are so redicules they would not even fill out their own forms in your behalf. Mine is a Pers retirement not Social Security.

They made follow Social Security guidelines no matter how many times I told them it was not a retirement from Social Security. Not my first run in t within this branch they had been doing my bank letter as immigration requires for three years. Time for the visa renewal they refused to do it. Immigration let me slide one time for which I'm very grateful, I changed my retirement account the next day.

The only reason I got this is my lawyer is also the lawyer for the bank in this region. He called three corporate managers to get them to help. There was no reason for this silliness it was simple business transaction. I should have been stuck there for thee hours and having to contact my attorney the next day. The funny part they only part of what corporate menagement said to do. Bank manager had left by the time I got there.

The PERS form required a signature of a bank representative, they refused to sign it. I may have to deal with them. But if there is other alternative I will change it.

I have spoken to the branch manager in New York before I will call next week and let him know it's coming. I don't trust this branch at all. It might be a great bank, I won't be a bit surprised if the apaerwork get accidnetly lost

Ray23 -- If you do a direct deposit from your personal retirement account into a USA bank say Bank of America ( set up a new account if you have to) you can do all this without ever having to talk to anyone save the foreign exchange desk to get those 2 numbers... no other human intervention required either in Thailand or USA... I have done it twice.

You don’t have to go in person to the Bagnkok Bank exchange desk to get the USD amounts of the validity transfers. You can call them and a very nice English speaking person will ask some questions to validate your identity (passport number, address, DOB, etc) and then give the USD amounts.

I think this thread is a classic example of some one making their life difficult because they didn't explore all the possibilities first. He could have just had the check put in his US account and for 5 dollars or something transferred (via ACH) it to his Bangkok Bank account each month.

TH

From my USA bank (Wells Fargo) the ACH charge is $3 as long as I can wait 3 business days. With their transfer software, I do not have to set up a standardized monthly transfer... ad hoc as to when and how much as I sit here in LOS. Also, getting to my local BKK Bank branch with the foreign exchange desk takes less time than waiting on hold for that nice English speaking gal. But yes, K. Thaihome, this can and should be a worry-free procedure.

You don’t have to go in person to the Bagnkok Bank exchange desk to get the USD amounts of the validity transfers. You can call them and a very nice English speaking person will ask some questions to validate your identity (passport number, address, DOB, etc) and then give the USD amounts.

I think this thread is a classic example of some one making their life difficult because they didn't explore all the possibilities first. He could have just had the check put in his US account and for 5 dollars or something transferred (via ACH) it to his Bangkok Bank account each month.

TH

That is probably true. However I did call Bangkok and New York and did as I was instructed. So the research was done improper information was given, not much more then I can do beyond that.

I tried it via ACH unfortunatley the transfer unit issued a check from the bank in America didn't include the information they were given on the check. My bank I know it's suppose3d to be electronic, but doesn't go that way with my bank in America. So the check was returned no harm done.

I will check out Kasikorn next week. Might work never know till you ask.

It wonlr be a bank transfer it will be a direct transfer from the California PERS system.

Thanks

Guys

I know about Bangkok Bank are there any others?

HSBC?

edit: I also remember that if you use their premier service 100K USD or more you can link various accounts.

HSBC USA--Singapore-- BKK etc

At least it was that way a year or so ago

Edited by flying

Ray23 If you were to set-up a BankOfAmerica or WellsFargo bank account -- which you can do from here in Thailand with an initial credit card deposit -- then instruct Cal PERS to direct deposit into that bank account, you can easily set-up an 'out-of-bank' transfer (with the 2 test deposits described above) to a Thailand bank account(with a domestic FED routing number) as ThaiHome and I have suggested -- and this would all be like water downhill.

Kasikorn (from the US Federal Reserve directory)

Name, location, and routing information

Bank Name KASIKORNBANK, LA AGENCY

Location LOS ANGELES, California

Routing Number 1220-3767-6

Telegraphic Name KASIKORNBANK LA

Revised June 13, 2006

Can you really just set up with Kasikorn or Krung Thai and have it go? I didn't think you could. My understanding on Bangkok Bank is they receive it at the NY branch and then forward to Thailand. Even if it is somewhat automated in NY, it is a 2 step process.

I used to actually work in that building in LA with Kasikorn. If I were still there I'd go upstairs and ask them. It definitely is not a retail branch.

HSBC USA and HSBC Thailand, operationally, are separate entities and don't have any special (internal) method of transfer or interaction...

Unless, you deposit $100,000 or more with HSBC and convert to their Premier account status, and then supposedly they give you the ability to online move money between countries internally thru their online banking system.

I transferred $650 from my USA bank to Bangkok Bank NYC.

I used the standard 3 business day transfer so there was a flat fee of $3 (the next business day rate is $10)

Yesterday (27 JULY) I received a deposit of 21,633.25 or an effective Baht rate of 33.28 net.

The posted rate (28 JULY) on the Bangkok Bank website (their 'Buy' Dollar rate -- not the official BOT posted rate) is 33.59 so at that rate I would have received 21,833.50

Thus the transaction cost me -- including any Bangkok Bank fees and the currency exchange transaction -- 200.25 baht plus the $3 as above -- and now I can use the ATM or debit card as many times as I want for no fee.

BTW I was not able to set-up an out-of-bank transfer from my bank to Kasikorn Bank routing number or not

This is where things ended up once New York got involved, so this should be over soon and I will show up once a month and transfer funds then it's done each month.

Dear Mr. Fisher:

Firstly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience may cause you, due

to our Bank responsibility for complying with the US direct deposit program

regulation which states that in the event a person receiving funds transfer

from the US government dies or is declared by a court as of unable or of

impaired ability, we are liable to return the funds immediately to the US

government. Therefore, our Bank has put restriction to the customers'

account using for receiving a direct deposit of benefit from U.S.

government, i.e., Social Security, VA benefits, etc.,

With reference to your benefit payment from Calpers, our New York Branch

has already contacted the payment division and spoke to their

representative who confirmed that we are also obliged to return any benefit

payment transferred after your death. Please refer to the Section 4 of the

form accordingly. If you are using the same account that you are using to

receive social security benefit and already signed up direct deposit

application to accept the terms and conditions to such account, you will

not need to complete the form with our bank again as our Bank has already

put restriction to such account. All you have to do is to complete Calpers

direct deposit authorization from and have our Bank's officer sign in

Section 3 of the form. We will ask our Head Office to coordinate with the

Posri Branch to assist you to complete the form.

Hope this will assist you to resolve the matter. If you still have any

question, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Sirivan Chuaypradit

HSBC USA and HSBC Thailand, operationally, are separate entities and don't have any special (internal) method of transfer or interaction...

Unless, you deposit $100,000 or more with HSBC and convert to their Premier account status, and then supposedly they give you the ability to online move money between countries internally thru their online banking system.

Why do you say supposedly? I do it.

Said "supposedly" only because, although I have an HSBC account, I've never seen fit to give them $100K of my money to sit around earning almost NO interest... So, I can't vouch for their system personally since I've never used it myself. But yes, it was my understanding Premier status allows one to do that...

That, and also, HSBC used to give particularly bad rates on U.S.-Thailand wire transfers (that I did have personal experience with)...so it makes me wonder if they are equally bad about their own internal transfers... Maybe you have some experience about that???

Why do you say supposedly? I do it.

Interesting, interesting....

I used the Kasikorn and Krung Thai ABA numbers posted above, in trying to add those banks to my online banking profile for a U.S. account with Bank of America. Neither number was recognized as a domestic bank, meaning BofA wouldn't let me add them for routine ACH transfers.

However, since the last time I checked some time ago, BofA now seems to have added an online capability for international wire transfers, which it didn't have before. (In the past, with this bank, you had to go into the branch to initiate an international wire). Now, when you go to add an account for linking, the BofA system asks is it a domestic or international account.

I tried domestic first for both the Kasikorn and Krung Thai numbers posted above. And both were not recognized. Then I tried adding another Thai bank where I do have an account as an international account, and it was quickly and easily accepted and verified online by BofA without even any trial deposits. It appears BofA somehow verified the Thai bank account online, just on the basis of my providing the account number and branch name and address from an interactive pull down list provided on the BofA web site (which pretty much listed every Thai or international bank with a presence here in LOS).

But here's the catch, after I added the Thai bank where I have an account, BofA only shows me the ability to online initiate an international wire transfer (not an ACH transfer), and asks whether I want to send the funds in Thai baht or U.S. $. I'm sure their own baht exchange rate would be lousy, and for that they wanted a $35 fee. For sending U.S. dollars, where the Thai bank would convert here at a better rate, BofA wanted to charge their standard international wire fee of $45.

So the good news was... BofA now seems to have added the capability to initiate international wire transfers using their online banking system (without having to make a branch visit). The other good news is BofA's web site indicated their weekday limit for international wire transfers would be $5 MILLION per, and $50,000 per on weekends. This would be great if one was sending funds to buy a house or something like that.... and willing to cough up the $45 fee. But it's lousy in terms of any kind of recurring or monthly expenses funding.

The bad news was, at least based on the BofA system, it won't allow users to add the Kasikorn and Krung Thai ABA numbers listed above in this thread for purposes of routine ACH transfers.

Maybe others here can try the same approach (trying to add the Kasikorn or Krung Thai ABA #s) with their own U.S. banks other than BofA, and see if the results are the same or comparable.

$45 isn't bad mine is $65 per transaction, that's why I went through this mess. I will be charged a max 500 Baht by Bangkok bank and no stateside charge since it is a direct deposit.

Only question is I don't know the time frame yet, It will be September now before I find out.

Bangkok bank is not bad I just ran into the wrong branch. I'm sure they have learned a lot through this and maybe the next person will have an easier go with them.

$45 isn't bad mine is $65 per transaction
It's amazing the fees we put up with to move money around - and I don't say this without some experience in various methods. I've always wondered what those Hawala guys charge to move money around - anyone know? It'd be kinda funny (and unsurprising, I guess) to find out that an ancient network of money movers working via personal connections is cheaper and more efficient than major financial institutions with electronic transfer networks that cover the Earth. It's not like the transfer costs any actual money on top of the massive overhead that's constantly running to keep international operations running.

Probably gonna have a hard time getting your pension plan to deposit your funds to "Apu Nahasapeemapetalan, Stop-N-Go, 1401 Smith St., Muncie, IN". And of course it's illegal. Still, I wonder what they charge - any of you old hands ever check up on that?