THAI Increases Fares With 5% From April 2005

george

Air and sea fares increased

PHANG-NGA: -- Airfares and boat charges are to rise because of increasing oil prices.

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) has announced a five percent increase in its fares, on both its domestic and international services from April.

THAI had been forced to raise its prices by five percent in order to cushion the impact of rising costs as a result of the increase in oil prices, the Executive Vice President of THAI's Commercial Department, Vasing Kittikul, explained today.

The airline also planned to ask the Aviation Department and the Aviation Association to consider calculating the oil duty on a progressive rate in order to reflect actual costs.

Operators of passenger boat services along the Chao Phya River have proposed a fare increase of between 15-20% after a five year fare freeze, the

Director General of the Department, Tawalyarat Onsira, said.

The current fares are based on a diesel price of 12.50 baht a litre, but the increase in the diesel coast to 15.19 baht a litre made it impossible for operators to absorb the rising costs.

The operators want to increase the fares from 1 March, but the government is not expected to approve the rise until after 15 March.

More than 100,000 passengers use the boat service a day.

--TNA 2005-02-26

Raise the price yes !!!

Now you don't have tourists as much as before !

Soon it will be better !

Do they really know what they do ???

I think next year nobody will Thailand anymore !!!!!!!

Greetings

A Belgium man that not travel anymore to Thailand, like many of my friends do already !

In reply to Chrisdepel, if you are going to NOT come to Thailand because of a 20% fare increase on the Chao Phraya ferry service, you don't deserve to come here in the first place.

Surely Belgium has no price freezes for 5 years, and things are much more expensive.

Would you absorb such fuel increases if you were running the business? I highly doubt it.

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) has announced a five percent increase in its fares, on both its domestic and international services from April.

Thai Airways was always overpriced compared to other airlines anyway. I wonder how soon it will be before Taxi fares go up? Just wait for the effects on inflation and economic growth!

oh well

look at shitty old qantas.

fares up,fuel surcharges,then we have airport taxes,security taxes and hostesses that have to walk down the aisles sideways,....it aint that bad.

THAI airline fare increase won't fly (pun intended, there are just too many other birds in the sky) but hiked fares for boat operators are probably justified. It all depends on the profit margin!

Thai, like many airlines, have been using fuel surcharges on top of ticket price to absorb the variable cost of fuel and global exchange rates etc.

The ferry operators haven't and fair play to them on a fare rise - from what? 10 baht to 12 baht? No grudges on that one.

However .... to quote BBC midweek - "Saudi & Kuwait announced they would take action if the price of fuel continued to rise. Immediately after the announcement, oil prices fell back towards $50 a barrel before beginning a very much slower recovery."

Notice how fuel price drops are never passed on as quickly as fuel price rises (except in the case of the ferry operators)?

They are liar, I am in oil trading most of the time we based on MOP,Europe,Middle East plate etc pricing to fix per Metric tonne which about 1011-1162 Liters per tonne.

Mop singapore trading price about 380-420 USD per tonne.

1 Metric ton = 7.5 Barrels

7.5 x USD 50 = USD 375.00

It not logic to say the cost is up when USD=BT exchange 38.12 Bt - 1 USD

When last time about 42.25- 1 USD.

It should be lowering the oil prices and not in the other way?

Edited by Kido

They are liar, I am in oil trading most of the time we based on MOP,Europe,Middle East plate etc pricing to fix per Metric tonne which about 1011-1162 Liters per tonne.

Mop singapore trading price about 380-420 USD per tonne.

1 Metric ton = 7.5 Barrels

7.5 x USD 50 = USD 375.00

It not logic to say the cost is up when USD=BT exchange 38.12 Bt - 1 USD

When last time about 42.25- 1 USD.

It should be lowering the oil prices and not in the other way?

The Rich get richer and the poor get the shaft!!

Rising fares, no problem. It is the cost of 'wares' that gets me here. It was cheaper in Texas for everything and I mean a LOT cheaper. I se mark ups of 500-1,000%% on some items, that ain't all the cost of shipping!

Edited by sonnyjc7

Air and sea fares increased

-- after a five year fare freeze --

Try to get a 5 year freeze in Europe on Public Transport. :o

Xinc

Guess it must be my eyes again. You have misquoted George.

"Air and sea fares increased" was the headline.

"after a five year fare freeze" referred to the boat fares on the Chao Praya.

If yer gonna quote somebody at least try and be accurate with it.

May have been the school perhaps (that you went to) :D

In reply to Chrisdepel, if you are going to NOT come to Thailand because of a 20% fare increase on the Chao Phraya ferry service, you don't deserve to come here in the first place. 

Surely Belgium has no price freezes for 5 years, and things are much more expensive. 

Would you absorb such fuel increases if you were running the business?  I highly doubt it.

Next year, try a nice beach holiday in Ostend. What you save on air fare will pay hotel. :o

With boats and things I have no problem....but Thai Airways??..as someone already pointed out they were already expensive...unless of course you were Thai when you could buy tickets in the UK and probably here cheaper than if you were a 'Foreigner'

I used to fly Thai 5 and 6 times a year Thailand-Europe...nice Gold card, nice lounges, good rewards...now it is just wildly cheaper and easier to go MAS, Eva or anyone who is trying to provide...and there are a lot of carriers we won't go on!!

Oil like any commodity is pure speculative in nature. The investors are what is causing the high prices in oil - def not a production issue.

We are wrong to assume that oil is the only commodity which we cannot control :

1) Highly framable,nobody will risk to keep as stock when it can destroy by a match stick.

2)Demand and supply are different during 4 seasons.

3)Politic- Bush demand even greater,that is why saddam hussien have to be removed.

4)Economy-China is major buyer of oil today, the demand higher then supply that is why the oil prices is not stable due to China purchasing power.

Develope countries turn away from nuke and control oil so they can control the whole world,can you imgine if they cut off the supply to a country ,what will happen? The whole nation without cars running,factory close,no electricity,no planes on the sky and last the whole nation collapse !! Now we know how important to control oil, it means it can control the whole world. So right now we know what Bush is trying to do ?

Edited by Kido