Business Is Picking Up

muggins

The last week or so seems markedly busier than the last few months. The night bazaar pubs and restaurants are busy and later on, the area around Spicey's and Jacky's Van (free publicity may have helped!) is full of younger people. Is it true of the rest of town?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The European summer holidays have started, so it was to be expected.

Yep, pretty normal especially in August. Seems several EU countries basically close up shop for holiday for a few weeks.

There were some doubts as to how busy it might be, considering the financial crisis and the Flu scare nonsense, but so far it seems okay. A good sign for the high season maybe?

It always picks up this time of year, but this year it should not be taken for granted. If the idiot yellow/red forces can keep from doing something stupid for the next year and swine flu stays as weak as it is now, high season might actually make Thai folks some decent money.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes it's better than previous months but that doesn't make it good. I read yesterday that Thai tourism was the worst for 49 years. I concur with Ulysses wishes that the politicians keep quiet and swine flu dies away

It always picks up this time of year, but this year it should not be taken for granted. If the idiot yellow/red forces can keep from doing something stupid for the next year and swine flu stays as weak as it is now, high season might actually make Thai folks some decent money.

have you seen the new (i think) coke ad on thai television which has everyone joining a party pulling up tables together, my mrs didnt notice but they have alternated red and yellow shirts. more chance of this sorting the political crap out than the politicians :)

That is not impossible, but many of us hope that the business climate will improve despite all of the negative possibilities. :D

agreed, but there usually some sort of crisis that hits CM/Thailand yearly :)

* Avian Flu

* SARS

* Tsunami

* Floods

* Coup

* Bangkok Bombings

* Airport seisure

* Economic recession Swine Flu

* red shirt~ yellow shirts

whats next?

LOL. Thailand has probably hurt its own country in everyway it could. I won't be any worse. Considering a successful internationally-covered ASEAN meeting, and the new ADB reports that Thailand will be back faster than any other region, I think things really should be better by the end of the year.

I am in Canada and was in a coffee shop and got chatting to a couple who were considering going to a "warm" climate for the winter. We discussed a number of locations and I asked if they considered Thailand? There response was too much hassle. They felt the political instability, airport closure, Muslim problems in the south, visa issues were too much trouble when there were other places in the world that seemed to be more receptive and less hassle. They also stated they felt that Thailand is not as economical a place to go as it once was.

I told them I thought Thailand was a place I always wanted to visit and they wished me well as they would not be going. So I thought you forum members might find it interesting the perception from across the pond, that is being generated by some of the actions and the news from Thailand.

I am in Canada and was in a coffee shop and got chatting to a couple who were considering going to a "warm" climate for the winter. We discussed a number of locations and I asked if they considered Thailand? There response was too much hassle. They felt the political instability, airport closure, Muslim problems in the south, visa issues were too much trouble when there were other places in the world that seemed to be more receptive and less hassle. They also stated they felt that Thailand is not as economical a place to go as it once was.

I told them I thought Thailand was a place I always wanted to visit and they wished me well as they would not be going. So I thought you forum members might find it interesting the perception from across the pond, that is being generated by some of the actions and the news from Thailand.

The perception from across the pond is probably more accurate but there are always those who will talk up the Thai situation and those in whose interests it is to do so.

Nice report. We here like to discuss what the folks back home think about Thailand as a vacation spot. To put it bluntly there are 2 types of visitors.

Those that want to experience a lovely country with wonderful things to see and do and the other kind. Your coffee mates gave facts that most people would consider in their decision. This is July and people are planning their winter getaway. I hope things improve here.

Had they been before?

The muslim situation in the South seems a really strange thing to pick out, especially since so many people from all over the world are killed by terrorism for example London, NY, Madrid etc... What are the Visa issues? you can get 3 months pretty easy.

In terms of money, the Canadian dollar is doing very well against the baht, I'm not sure I understand what they meant.

Business Is Picking Up, Have you noticed?

Nop, I haven`t noticed, nor have any of the business owners in Chiang Mai.

Have you interviewed them ALL? :)

/ Priceless

Definitely more people around in the last few weeks - even UG agreed. He should know. Maybe only noticable in decent places though.

Edited by muggins

I have a bunch of friends with businesses. ALL of them have reported better sales in June and July. This is a lot better news than if it had not happened, as it is the same as normal years.

In the middle of August, students will start to go home to return to school and others will wait for colder weather in the West before starting their trips out here. It is usually quite dead at that time of year, but really starts to pick up around the Loy Khatung holiday - at least for me.

Business Is Picking Up, Have you noticed?

Nop, I haven`t noticed, nor have any of the business owners in Chiang Mai.

Have you interviewed them ALL? :)

/ Priceless

Thank you, Priceless.... our business in the night Bazaar picking up nicely... our inquiries for wholesale orders from o/s also picking up substantially.

The muslim situation in the South seems a really strange thing to pick out, especially since so many people from all over the world are killed by terrorism for example London, NY, Madrid etc... What are the Visa issues? you can get 3 months pretty easy.

Why would this be strange Benjie seeing that not a day goes by without a bombing, maiming or murder. With 3500 plus dead over the last few years, I would say that anybody considering going south of Phuket should be more than concerned. Perhaps you are one of the Thai "ostrich" family; stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist :)

Why would this be strange Benjie seeing that not a day goes by without a bombing, maiming or murder. With 3500 plus dead over the last few years, I would say that anybody considering going south of Phuket should be more than concerned. Perhaps you are one of the Thai "ostrich" family; stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist :)

I gotta tell it like I see it.

I agree with MM's comments on the situation in the south.

Add in the King Power scams at Suwarnabhumi.

Add in all the unsolved :D murders of tourists that have occurred in recent years.

Add in the taxi scams at the airports (and elsewhere)

Add in the "I could go on ad infinitem"

I have told all my friends and acquaintences to avoid Thailand like the plague.

I apologise to folk like UG and others who rely on tourists but at the end of the day Thailand has just got to get it's shyt together. There are a thousand reasons why people should spend their tourist dollar elsewhere.

I have just returned from the "Lion City" where you don't have to ask a taxi driver to turn his meter on, and when you get to your destination he doesn't say "sorry, I don't have change"

And before some one comes up with "but yes" you have just visited there let me tell you that I have visited there perhaps 40 - 50 times and also worked there.

When Thailand introduces some ethics and integrity into the way it does business it has a chance but it ain't gonna happen in my "or my grand childrens" life time.

All the "goody two shoes" on TV can say what they like but these are the facts.

And talking of LOS (land of smiles) they do actually smile in the "Lion City" too.

Edited by john b good

When Thailand introduces some ethics and integrity into the way it does business it has a chance but it ain't gonna happen in my "or my grand childrens" life time.

You are not wrong about anything that you have said, but I don't think that people come to Thailand looking for Singapore. I love the place myself, but most Westerners that I have met have no use for Singapore at all.

Thailand has always been known as a Wild West kind of place that one is able to buy things and do things that one can't do elsewhere and in relative comfort and safety - unlike places like the Philipines and Cambodia). The nightlife attracts men like dogs to bones.

Thailand is not an old folks home for budget retirees who want everything to be like back home or a Disneyland for cheapskate yuppies, but it has a lot to offer if you don't expect too much in return. The Thai people don't love us, but they are mostly friendly and polite if you return the favor.

I expect it to return to "normal" after the economy recovers, but the truth is that normal here will never be normal like in Kansas - at least I hope so.

(This is in response to J.B Good's post, but not directed at him personally).

It doesn't exist for me, I don't live down South - It is unlikely to be a problem for any tourist as well. It's not like Indonesia/India where tourists are being specifically targeted in major cities and tourist hotspots.

You are not wrong about anything that you have said, but I don't think that people come to Thailand looking for Singapore. I love the place myself, but most Westerners that I have met have no use for Singapore at all.

Thailand has always been known as a Wild West kind of place that one is able to buy things and do things that one can't do elsewhere and in relative comfort and safety - unlike places like the Philipines and Cambodia). The nightlife attracts men like dogs to bones.

Thailand is not an old folks home for budget retirees who want everything to be like back home or a Disneyland for cheapskate yuppies, but it has a lot to offer if you don't expect too much in return. The Thai people don't love us, but they are mostly friendly and polite if you return the favor.

I expect it to return to "normal" after the economy recovers, but the truth is that normal here will never be normal like in Kansas - at least I hope so.

(This is in response to J.B Good's post, but not directed at him personally).

Thank you UG.

I will come buy and get some more books :)

It doesn't exist for me, I don't live down South - It is unlikely to be a problem for any tourist as well. It's not like Indonesia/India where tourists are being specifically targeted in major cities and tourist hotspots.

A very small ostrich with severe myopia; what a sad excuse you are Benjie. Are you going to tell me that the Meridien Lee Gardens bombing in Hat Yai was not aimed at tourists and locals alike? Try telling that to my friend that still bears schrapnel scars.

Tourism in Hat Yai has never really recovered. I just hope one day you will be in the middle of one, but with your head so far in the sand, you probably would not notice.

I agree with MM's comments on the situation in the south.

Add in the King Power scams at Suwarnabhumi.

Add in all the unsolved :) murders of tourists that have occurred in recent years.

Add in the taxi scams at the airports (and elsewhere)

Add in the "I could go on ad infinitem"

I have told all my friends and acquaintences to avoid Thailand like the plague.

I apologise to folk like UG and others who rely on tourists but at the end of the day Thailand has just got to get it's shyt together. There are a thousand reasons why people should spend their tourist dollar elsewhere.

I have just returned from the "Lion City" where you don't have to ask a taxi driver to turn his meter on, and when you get to your destination he doesn't say "sorry, I don't have change"

And before some one comes up with "but yes" you have just visited there let me tell you that I have visited there perhaps 40 - 50 times and also worked there.

All the "goody two shoes" on TV can say what they like but these are the facts.

And talking of LOS (land of smiles) they do actually smile in the "Lion City" too.

You come across as a bit of a drama queen.

Millions of people travelled to the UK whilst there were problems in N.Ireland, they just had the sense to avoid that area. Besides, people didn't come to the UK to go to N.Ireland and similarly, people don't come to Thailand to go to the deep south.

Taxi drivers the world over may rip you off - not enough to put most people off.

Scams? - they happen everywhere.

Unsolved murders? How many in how many years? Is it one a year? Daily events in a lot of western countries.

Millions of tourists come here every year, have a great time and never have any problems. It seems to me that the only one unhappy here is you.  It comes across as very strange that you tell your friends to 'avoid the place like the plague' and yet you remain. Just out of curiosity, why do you stay?