3 Farmer Leaders Jailed Six Months For Blocking Chiang Rai Road

george

3 farmer leaders jailed six months for blocking Chiang Rai road

CHIANG RAI: -- The Chiang Rai Provincial Court has sentenced three farmer leaders to six months in jail and a fine of Bt100 for leading farmers to block a main road in the northern province early June.

Chiang Rai police chief Pol Maj Gen Songtham Alpat said the court made the ruling on Thursday against Ampol Wiangsima, 32, Phuchit Sola, 50 and Manit Khampuk, 33.

They led farmers to block the Chiang Rai-Phanpuen in Phan district to demand the government to shore up the falling paddy prices.

They were found guilty of violating the Highway Act, the Land Traffic Control Act and the advertisement control act, which required permission before the use of amplifier in public places.

Initially, the three were sentenced to one year imprisonment and a fine of Bt200 each but the court commuted the penalties by half.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-24

:D ..unbelievable; 6 months... :D

And what about the blockades in Bangkok, the airports Suvarnabhumi and Phuket...? :D Who's going to jail for that?

They don't HAVE enough jails :)

LaoPo

An <deleted> disgrace. The sentence is okay but why are'nt all the teachers and government workers who sat and protested,at the airport, while still on full pay not going to prison. Stopping this rant now b4 some democrat justifys the airport sit in

What a farce this place is becoming.

You have yellow and red shirts that have caused serious damage both to property and the economy still no nearer being tried and sentenced, which was a lot longer ago, and these poor farmers are then sent down for what really amounts to a minor disruption in comparison a month ago. A total disgrace.

I could accept this (Maybe), but only if the same laws/rules etc are handed out equally, this would mean the PAD leaders would be facing similar charges for the Swampy fiasco!

FF

Well yes, (quite rightly) they are.

Did you also mean to mention the UDD leaders for the Pattaya and Bangkok Songkran fiascos?

Edited by jackspratt

Seems like silly season is in.

Six months for blocking a road? Bloody hel_l, my neighbours blocked access for their wedding party! Does that make 600 years for blocking the airport?

And as for breaking the

advertisement control act, which required permission before the use of amplifier in public places
there definitely won't be enough prisons to hold everyone once I have filed a complaint just for tomorrow in the local Big C.

I like the application of the Advertisement Act regarding the amplifier. The possibility for quiet/backhanders on this law??? alone is fantastic. Pickups with audio advertising, weddings, funerals, new house parties, Mobil food,broom,ladder,etc trucks, hel_l we might even go after the ice cream vendor.

Excellent; that means that any loudspeaker van that ventures down my soi blasting away their wares, can now be taken to court and dealt with ..... in theory. :)

Not to mention my neighbours very large and chilled out dog that likes to block the street while taking his morning nap on the warmed up bitumen.

:D ..unbelievable; 6 months... :D

And what about the blockades in Bangkok, the airports Suvarnabhumi and Phuket...? :D Who's going to jail for that?

They don't HAVE enough jails :)

LaoPo

Kinda interesting to observe the hypocrisy only some of us can see. I can easily find a 'peasant revolution' in the forseen future. The petty criminal activity and subsequent convictions is minute compared to the larger pictur.

Obviously the farmers don't have friends in high places ....... pathetic in light of all the activities of the reds and yellows. Guess they would have been o.k had they protested at the airport or govournment house.