Lapland Thailand

Andy76

This new article about buying a laptop in Thailand is a must read for those who want to buy a new laptop, the hints and tips, a guide to those who is unsure about quality and service. I am going to tell you my experience with a laptop I bought here in Thailand this year.

First, before buying a laptop in Thailand. Do the research about what laptop you really want to buy. Whether it's Compaq, Sony, Asus, Acer, Toshiba, Lenevo... they all need to be observed closely and carefully with the specifications and service provided.

In March 2009, I decided to buy a Compaq CQ45 414TX. It was fast, a 2.4GHz Dual Core 2 Processor with 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, nVidia 9200 with 512MB, 14.1 inch screen. They also told me I had a 1 year warranty, 1 year theft and lost insurance and accidental insurance.

After using my new laptop which cost 700 pounds (31,000 baht) I decided to take my laptop to school to use it for a classroom lecture. During my lesson, I accidentally tripped over the cable, pulling the laptop off the table and smashed the LCD Screen on the floor. I was severely upset at this point.

But I knew that when buying my laptop, it was covered for accidental insurance. I called the shop where I bought it from, "****" at Fortune along Ratchada Road. They told me that they would call Compaq to confirm the insurance. DATA IT called me back within the hour and told me that everything was covered. Later that day, I took my laptop to the store and gave them the laptop. We completed the paperwork and everything was done. They told me also it would take between 7 to 14 days to be repaired.

The next day, I received a phone call from **** that I didn't have accidental insurance. Now I was confused. I went back to the store at 5pm and was hoping to meet the guy who sold me the laptop. I was waiting and waiting, still waiting and waiting more. But he never showed up. At 6pm, I told the customer service that I would give you 4 options and you have 5minutes to comply.

1. To repair the laptop.

2. To replace the laptop with a new one.

3. A full refund

4. I'll call the Tourist Police.

Five minutes past and I ended up calling the Police. The police spoke with the customer service and I wasn't sure what was being said but whatever it was, something was happening. The guy that was meant to be there at 5pm ended up calling the shop from a computer show. He spoke to me and explained that he would get it fixed but unable to replace or refund. I told him he had 7 days.

A few days later, he called me and told me it was unable to be fixed for free because I did not have accidental insurance. I then went back to the store that same day he called and decided to show some more force about getting my laptop fixed and repaired. After speaking with the manager of the store, he decided to pay 50% of the total cost of which was between an estimated 5,000 (100 pounds) to 15,000 baht (300 pounds). I got him to write it down, sign it, date it, stamp it and lick it! lol.

Two weeks passed and today (Tuesday 21st July 2009) I decided to call to find out where and what is going on with the laptop. He told me that the laptop repair would cost about 20,000 baht (400 pounds). I thought this had to be wrong. He gave me an option to get it repaired from a third party shop at a cheaper rate. The cost for the cheaper option was about 10,000 baht (200 pounds). But I would have to wait 3 months for the new casing for the back panel of the LCD Screen. They had the LCD Screen but without the new frame to go around it, its pointless.

So I decided that because he was going to pay 50% anyway, I told him to get it repair at Compaq which should only take 2 weeks. I called Compaq to confirm the cost but because **** only sent it back yesterday, they have been unable to quote a price of the repair. I couldn't understand after leaving that they only received it yesterday when they had the laptop two weeks ago! So thinking about it, they made me think its been in repair when it hasn't!

At this moment, I awaiting for the quote and will update this note once I know what is going on.

Just as a quick note about this, be careful about service, quality and your product when buying here in Thailand. Not everything is as it seems.

Andy

Compaq called me yesterday and told me that for the new LCD screen and plastic casing that goes around the monitor area (frame) would cost a whopping 19,640 baht. However in the USA I had a quote for just $400 (about 13,593 baht). Why is Thailand so expensive???? Or are they cheating me so therefore the guy at the store who sold me the laptop won't have to pay as much by making me think I have to pay just 50% of the 19,640 baht.

Well it looks like they have lied to you from the beginning and are continuing to do so.

This is to be expected, it's part of normal business practice from what I have seen. Trust nobody and expect nothing.

They also told me I had a 1 year warranty, 1 year theft and lost insurance and accidental insurance.

Did you get any document to prove this at time of purchase? If so you may have a case but I doubt it. TIT.

I haven't heard of this kind of insurance ever in the shopping malls unless you pay a very high overhead, equaling the cost of repair. It sounds like you don't have such documentation (but I could be wrong) so you will have to chalk it up to experience and be more careful where you put your power cables next time. Go to Pantip and they will fix it for half the prices you've been quoted.

^ My friend bought an Acer netbook from Wattana Pattaya and got a years insurance with it (saw the papers) so it obviously exist.

Ah ok, whenever I buy a laptop in Thailand, (bought 4 so far) the insurance usually for 1 yr is just for parts failure, not accident or theft.

Well it looks like they have lied to you from the beginning and are continuing to do so.

This is to be expected, it's part of normal business practice from what I have seen. Trust nobody and expect nothing.

Perhaps this is so regarding the extended business practice. The best way to remedy this is not to make such major purchases. STOP being fodder. Perhaps if more continued to do this they might get the messege and modify their ways.....but I doubt it. Live your protest.

Compaq called me yesterday and told me that for the new LCD screen and plastic casing that goes around the monitor area (frame) would cost a whopping 19,640 baht. However in the USA I had a quote for just $400 (about 13,593 baht). Why is Thailand so expensive???? Or are they cheating me so therefore the guy at the store who sold me the laptop won't have to pay as much by making me think I have to pay just 50% of the 19,640 baht.

First you use pounds in your conversion, which gives an impression that you r from uk. Now u r referring to usa.

Comparing cheap thing in one country to the expensive country in another is something that I never understood.

Comparing laptop prices in usa to that in Thailand, you forgot to compare food price in Thailand to USA as well :D

First of all, when you bought the laptop, u must have made sure what is covered in accidental insurance, now I am assuming that u dont speak thai so i found it more of a translation problem in this situation than any cheating involved, as many other people r jumping n pointing towards.

isnt it better to buy a new laptop n use this laptop as a desktop computer. u can buy a new monitor n plug it in to the laptop that has broken screen. :)

Come on guy, you bought a laptop, then broke it and are now blaming the shop/manufacturer because you have butterfingers and cannot take care of your own computer, give me a break. You are the reason that the prices keep going up. Reclaiming everything on insurance.

Grow up!