Traditional Christmas Day Lunch In Khon Kaen

Gladiator

My apologies if this is a dupe - but I can't find my original posting.

Anyone know of a pub or restaurant in Khon Kaen who will be serving a traditional Christmas day lunch/dinner ?

Gladiator

As others have "hinted" at, a bit early, but the Pullman (Sofitel) has always had a very good Christmas and New Years Buffet... Traditional foods from many countires and usually excellently prepared and presented...

Pianoman

Thanks for your informative 'sensible' reply Pianoman.

Its somehow rather comforting to know that the Issan forum has as many strange and sarcastic posters as the Chiang Mai forum,

In that I am not familar with the venues in K.K. and we has a large party for Christmas Day it would seem logical to do some forward planning.

If that seems rather 'early' to any of you you - your problem - not mine.

Gladiator

• 4 months later...
any recommendations on where to take a 2 1/2 year old for buffet dinner this Christmas?

Myself and another American from Kalasin drove over to the Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen for their "Thanksgiving Buffet" last week... It was wonderful, even surpassing the Christmas Buffet of two years ago when it was the Sofitel Hotel... If the Christmas Buffet is anything like the one for Thanksgiving, I will be there...

Not really sure how much a 2 1/2 year old would enjoy such, but I am sure that any adult, either Farang or Thai would be more than impressed...

Pianoman

Should probably mention that my 2 1/2 year old eats like a greedy 10 year old so he will enjoy a buffet alot :), same as Mr Boo, 5 years in UK has given him a hearty appetite for roast dinners. Will check the Pullman out this weekend & ask about Christmas. Thanks

The Pullman will be having a Christmas lunch buffet with a kids corner to entertain them and a visit from Santa. 450 baht on the 25th. Under 8 years old eat free

Edited by mca

For those not familiar with KK, 2 excellent restaurants that might have something special for Christmas would be DiDine's (French) and Duan's (German).

Duan's Restaurant

21/2-3 Ammart Rd.

(043) 245 690

(01) 9438 528

Didine's -- I'll get the tele. # if anyone is interested

I would be surprised if Duan's would be cooking a turkey for Christmas although I'd serious consider it if he was. I think the owner would worry too much that not enough customers would come and he'd be wasting his money and time. He'll probably do ham and sausages with some salads with heaps of mayonnaise thrown over them if anything at all. I actually seem to remember that one year he was closed.

Where is the Starbeam restaurant? I've not heard of that.

I went to NumberOne four years ago for New Year and found the place dirty with vomit all over the toilet. We waited about 50minutes for our food and then one of the Thai staff said the chef had to go home for some reason or another. The owner just played on a game machine the whole time ignoring us and without even an apology. We were starving and went straight to what was then called the Sofitel and grabbed a buffet before it was too late. Not bad for Issan. OK the turkey didn't have a huge amount of taste but overall the experience was better than some of the festive meals that I've had in Bangkok.

He'll probably do ham and sausages with some salads with heaps of mayonnaise I guess that is why you call to find out. The Pullman / Sofitel is great maybe even lavish but others might want something a little more low key... personally, I like to go to restaurants before or after the holiday but never on. In the USA I would fly many times on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day when the airplanes were empty. BTW Turkey?... my brother's German ex-inlaws always cooked a goose on Christmas Day.

• 2 weeks later...
Did anybody make it to the Pullman Xmas buffet? Any feedback? I intended to go but my daughter had a fever so that put the dampers on that.

We did the Christmas Day Lunch Buffet and it was up to their usual Good Standards.... We were 4 adults so did not get involved with the Santa/Gifts/Kids Corner, but enjoyed the food as it was excellent....

Turkey, Stuffing, Prime Rib, Rock Lobsters, Sea food and Suhsi Bar, plus, plus, plus.... Even had Pizza and other such things for the younger crowd.... As usual for their Buffets, excellent breads, cheeses and deserts.... They even brought in a Man from outside the hotel who is suppose to make the Best Som Tom in Khon Kaen, and our two Thai Women were truly impressed with his talents and abilities.... Even my wife who considers any meal that costs more than 100 baht to be "Pang", was very pleased with all that was offered and at just over 500 baht....

Not sure if I will be able to make a New Years Buffet or not, but know that I am going to try,.....

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Cheers pianoman for the swift and in-depth reply. I saw the executive chef there a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that several westerners had enjoyed the Thanksgiving buffet and hoped he was going to pull out the stops for Christmas as well.

I like the Pullman. It's not the best luxury hotel in Thailand ( after all it is in some esteemed company like the Oriental etc) but it's a million miles away from being the worst. It's a bit like saying a BMW 5 series isn't the best car in the world but I'd be happy enough having to drive one.There certainly isn't a hotel up to it's standard like it in my home city in the west. Plus if we didn't have it Isaan would be buggered for a "luxury" hotel that could approach it's level. They certainly don't serve Kobe beef at my local Som Tam shop!

Edited by mca

Did anybody make it to the Pullman Xmas buffet? Any feedback? I intended to go but my daughter had a fever so that put the dampers on that.

We did the Christmas Day Lunch Buffet and it was up to their usual Good Standards.... We were 4 adults so did not get involved with the Santa/Gifts/Kids Corner, but enjoyed the food as it was excellent....

Turkey, Stuffing, Prime Rib, Rock Lobsters, Sea food and Suhsi Bar, plus, plus, plus.... Even had Pizza and other such things for the younger crowd.... As usual for their Buffets, excellent breads, cheeses and deserts.... They even brought in a Man from outside the hotel who is suppose to make the Best Som Tom in Khon Kaen, and our two Thai Women were truly impressed with his talents and abilities.... Even my wife who considers any meal that costs more than 100 baht to be "Pang", was very pleased with all that was offered and at just over 500 baht....

Not sure if I will be able to make a New Years Buffet or not, but know that I am going to try,.....

Pianoman

I was there for the lunch buffet also, very impressed. The selection was outstanding, really enjoyed the turkey, but the roast beef really stood out. I also had a pudding which was mincemeat (same as in mince pies) covered in chocolate, that just about finished me off. You show me somewhere else you can get top class food, and such a selection, all for under a tenner !

Totster :)