Is Your Maxnet Dead?

wimpy

I am moving to CM from USA in August. We will probably be living out toward San Pa Pao.... at least probably out 118 or 101....

anyways.... will be looking for a decent connection (3mb will work, if it is REAL).... but i read all the forums on this topic and at

times it seems like if i live on the east side of one road, i should use provider A, but on the west side of the road, Provider B is better!!!

Is that really still the case..... ??? I know i will wait until we actually get moved in, but i can be a bit of a compulsive planner at times.

Zippy

There are a lot of variables. location is a big part of it. Are you close to the last mile. Where copper meets fiber. What package you get and what your willing to spend. Many parts of town you only have one provider that you can choose from but they have different packages available. What we did is go to the villages we were interested in living in and ask the neighbors. Really the only way to go if this is an important requirement. I have not run into too many people that have had both negative and positive with the same package in the same village. If you do find this then you are most likely looking at a bad wiring job on the house or the wires leading to the house. So its best you get multiple recomendations.

We found many houses that we would have rather lived in but we were limited in choice because of our internet requirements.

There are a lot of variables. location is a big part of it. Are you close to the last mile. Where copper meets fiber. What package you get and what your willing to spend. Many parts of town you only have one provider that you can choose from but they have different packages available. What we did is go to the villages we were interested in living in and ask the neighbors. Really the only way to go if this is an important requirement. I have not run into too many people that have had both negative and positive with the same package in the same village. If you do find this then you are most likely looking at a bad wiring job on the house or the wires leading to the house. So its best you get multiple recomendations.

We found many houses that we would have rather lived in but we were limited in choice because of our internet requirements.

thanks for that suggestion... now i will have to get the wife to get some internet savvy thai into her vocab.... she is thai... but don't know if she will know how to exactly ask neighbors about internet speeds..... i know i ain't showing my falang face until the deal is done....

zippy

Mine was down Sunday and Monday(yesterday) until about 11.30 both mornings. I'm on Indt.

I rang the 1103 people and they told me Chaing Mai server was down. MY pal in Nonghoi down the road was OK there though. Today, fast as you like, better overall by far than the dial up I had In Koh Samui years ago I suppose, can't really grumble. No comparison.

Regards Bojo

another quick question... how DO you find out how far you are from the closest switching station for DSL? Here in SFO, i am 2 blks from the station and i know it cuz the tech tells me and cuz i get the full speed i pay for, and more (not less).

i mean, i can imagine in thailand that if you have a connection problem, they might always tell you that you are "far from box"...... how do you get at the truth? is there a secret map somewhere?

zippy

another quick question... how DO you find out how far you are from the closest switching station for DSL? Here in SFO, i am 2 blks from the station and i know it cuz the tech tells me and cuz i get the full speed i pay for, and more (not less).

i mean, i can imagine in thailand that if you have a connection problem, they might always tell you that you are "far from box"...... how do you get at the truth? is there a secret map somewhere?

zippy

You wont get the truth because even the people that should know .. don't... their knowledge base is severely restrictive. I think the argument for this... is if they don't know they cant say anything negative. They are given the company answers and thats what they give out. The smiling faces you see and talk to on the phone are smiling because they don't carry the burden of knowing anything other than the company info bite they are given.

Edited by swain

Is it just Chiang Mai that suffers these problems?

Does Thailand realise that to be part of the international business community, you need reliable internet connections. How can tourism survive if a hotel cannot receive or confirm reservations; if companies/banks cannot receive/make payment; if exporters cannot respond to inquiries?

It's just impossible for Thailand to make any steps forward at the moment as the necessary infrastructure is so unreliable. Foreign companies will be very reluctant to invest large amounts of cash in a country where the internet only works quite often, where the courts and judicial process are corrupt to the core; where bureaucracy slows everything down to the speed of an elephant.

Rant over and feeling a lot better.

Does Thailand realise that to be part of the international business community, you need reliable internet connections. How can tourism survive if a hotel cannot receive or confirm reservations; if companies/banks cannot receive/make payment; if exporters cannot respond to inquiries?

It's just impossible for Thailand to make any steps forward at the moment as the necessary infrastructure is so unreliable. Foreign companies will be very reluctant to invest large amounts of cash in a country where the internet only works quite often, where the courts and judicial process are corrupt to the core; where bureaucracy slows everything down to the speed of an elephant.

I agree with Loaded's observations. My friend in Bangkok who uses True for Internet service told me that he has not had a single problem with his Internet connection in the one year that he has been using their service. I think the severe problems we are having are more specific to Chiang Mai and/or Northern Thailand.

I agree with Loaded's observations. My friend in Bangkok who uses True for Internet service told me that he has not had a single problem with his Internet connection in the one year that he has been using their service. I think the severe problems we are having are more specific to Chiang Mai and/or Northern Thailand.

I think it is a pretty unfair comparison, Chiang Mai-Bangkok. Aren't they in two different countries? This little po-dunk hick town is doing pretty good if you ask me (no one did mind you).

I had my CAT telecom internet installed monday, they came to the house and fitted a dedicated line, the service is great, the speeds are good and it works all the time. Yes its more expensive than maxnet but i can put up with that for a good internet service.

I had my CAT telecom internet installed monday, they came to the house and fitted a dedicated line, the service is great, the speeds are good and it works all the time. Yes its more expensive than maxnet but i can put up with that for a good internet service.

where do you live in CM? and how much is "more expensive", if i may be so bold to ask?

thanks

zippy

My 2 connections in CM are way better than my connection with True in Bkk. That disappears whenever there is a heavy rainstorm.

:)

When I stay with a friend in Bangkok I have the opportunity to use his 4mb True connection. I would say it is slower than, and as unreliable as, my Premier 3mb connection in Chiang Mai.

where do you live in CM? and how much is "more expensive", if i may be so bold to ask?

thanks

zippy

I live in Tanawan 2 which is behind the Big Rimping on maejo road. I have installed the premier level 1 package which is 2020 baht a month after tax. But at least I can use it now, I was paying 1070 baht with maxnet but I was unable to use it for 4 maybe 5 hours a day somedays. So im willing to pay the extra 950 baht a month.

thanks

zippy

I live in Tanawan 2 which is behind the Big Rimping on maejo road. I have installed the premier level 1 package which is 2020 baht a month after tax. But at least I can use it now, I was paying 1070 baht with maxnet but I was unable to use it for 4 maybe 5 hours a day somedays. So im willing to pay the extra 950 baht a month.

thank you so much... that is a REAL answer... even though i know many folks will talk about all the potential (and real) problems and lapses of the net... at least i have some data that has price, location and package/speed.

Mae Jo is on our list of potential sites to live.... just a few weeks away now!

zippy

One word- Corruption. Service is better in Laos. Bali is bringing fiber optic into the home.