Why Can't I Download Torrents?

p_brownstone

Over the past few days I have been trying to download some Torrents but every time, after a minute or so when everything seems OK - I even get Download Speeds showing etc. - uTorrent gives me the messsage

"Error: The system cannot find the path specified"

This happens with Torrents from Demonid, Mininova, 2Torrents - evey one I have tried.

I had no problems until recently.

Any ideas?

Patrick

uTorrent gives me the messsage

"Error: The system cannot find the path specified"

So it is saying the path you save your torrents to can not be found. Did you change it or a HDD or a plugin device recently? Either way simply change the path in utorrent as it suggests to where you want the torrents to be and you should be back to normal.

Looks like a local issue, you did create the folder into which the files are to be deposited didn't you, and you do have write permissions to that folder? :) And what he said ^^^

Many ISPs block the default torrent ports, change the ports used to something well away from the default. You will likely also have to forward the relevant ports in your router, portforward.com has the necessary instructions. But these are unlikely to be the reason behind your current issues.

Looks like a local issue, you did create the folder into which the files are to be deposited didn't you, and you do have write permissions to that folder? :D

Thank you gentlemen - and especially Crossy.

I am so "technologically challenged"!!

I had used a Program called "Hide Folders" to do - well - just that, with a couple of private Folders ......... including the one I had designated as the Download destination for Torrents!!!

:):D

Thanks again.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Try Emule, so far so good :) you can also check that your ports are correctly configured and look at the ping rates.

I thought most people stopped using Emule 3-4 years ago and that it is mostly dead nowadays, or dead slow, at any rate. Has something happened that I am not aware of?

Try Emule, so far so good :) you can also check that your ports are correctly configured and look at the ping rates.

I thought most people stopped using Emule 3-4 years ago and that it is mostly dead nowadays, or dead slow, at any rate. Has something happened that I am not aware of?

give it a try and also try to change the default ports if you have troubles(there is also a built-in option where you can check if they are working properly too).

I've been having issues with the latest version of utorrent, so I downloaded an older version and it worked perfectly. My torrents would stop at random points and give a weird error message. I don't have this problem with the slightly older version (which also runs a ton faster).

• 1 month later...

Limewire is compromised after the creators went to court for trying to charge money for the 'premium' Limewire. Frostwire is the new program that is freeware.

Either way, using programs like these are inherently dangerous, because there's no way of knowing for sure which file is the real safe file. At least with torrents there are sites you can check (like rlslog.net) and comments you can read on the torrent sites. You can also find out who the regular release groups are so you can look out for their group names.