I Want To Buy A Nice Laser Printer For Home/personal Use

syd barrett

Reliability is a must. I don't care about the price if I get a good reliable laser printer.

This is for personal/home use, not business. I will not be printing 100's of copies a day, I just want high quality and reliability and ease of use.

I am in Pattaya near Tuk Com. Should I search there or go to Bangkok?

Thanks for any suggestions.

^ I don't get the link between software and hardware - is that a trick question?

Not necessary, because nowdays hardware and software are so tightly integrated.

The cheap scanner may not come with the capability to scan and save the scanned document directly in PDF, but only in one of the popular image format (.jpg, tiff, etc ).

You may need additional software to convert it to PDF, and an extra step.

Edited by singa-traz

To the OP, check out if Samsung markets a laser printer over here. I used them in the US and for the price and quality, they could not be beaten.

Most new name-brand scanner/printers come with some form of pdf maker bundled in the software package. However, there's always the top (?) floor of Tuk-com for software (of course as a TV member, I would never shop there).

I've got an HP PSC 1610 All-in-one printer-scanner-copier, had it for at least 3 years and no problems. I have found the scanner and copy features quite handy.

Isn't the HP PSC 1610 an inkjet printer? The OP is asking about laser printers. HP do have some nice multi-function ink jets however but not quite the same quality as laser.

For three years my Brother HL-5240 has worked flawlessly. It accepts 3rd part toner cartridges. I recently bought my daughter a less expensive Brother HL-2140 after looking at the reviews from several publications on laser printers. It also has a 3 year warranty. Both times I bought a laser printer in Thailand different shops in the same area would have more attractive prices than the suggested list price. Both printers are very quiet and the "cost per copy" is very low.

http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/detail/prt...er/pricing.html

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/11773...her-hl5240.aspx

I've got an HP PSC 1610 All-in-one printer-scanner-copier, had it for at least 3 years and no problems. I have found the scanner and copy features quite handy.

Isn't the HP PSC 1610 an inkjet printer? The OP is asking about laser printers. HP do have some nice multi-function ink jets however but not quite the same quality as laser.

Yep, I guess it is, couldn't remember. Maybe that would explain the sort of poorer quality on photo printing in that the photos tend to fade over time. Anyway, all the other functions sure are handy. Sorry for my cornfusing the topic.

You don't say if you need it to be color or not?

If just for black & white I can highly recommend Samsung ML-1640 Mono Laser printer, we use it at the counter in our shop, what I like about it is that it's so fast to start printing after you press print, other printers we've used took forever to get ready to print and that wasn't ideal when the customer was stood waiting :)

Do a search for reviews on the HP 1020 or something from that series.

I've had one for a couple of years now. Fantastic for home use. I've had several HP laser printers over the last 2 decades. They're the best IMHO.

If just for black & white I can highly recommend Samsung ML-1640 Mono Laser printer, we use it at the counter in our shop, what I like about it is that it's so fast to start printing after you press print, other printers we've used took forever to get ready to print and that wasn't ideal when the customer was stood waiting :)

Ditto, but you only get a 500 sheet cartridge with the Samsung out of the box - buy a new 1500 sheet cartridge and have it refilled.

Kev

Ditto, but you only get a 500 sheet cartridge with the Samsung out of the box - buy a new 1500 sheet cartridge and have it refilled.

Kev

Thanks for the good feedback. I only need mono. So I will be looking closely at this Samsung ML-1640

i have had a Samsung SCX-4200 MFP for a few years with no problems and i just bought my GF one in Pantip about 2 months ago ( about 4000 THB). The Brothers are cheaper but the Samsung from my experience is pretty good plus it does scanning which is important for us. Only problem is that if u want a document loader then the next Samsung printer/MFP is almost double the price.

I do wish it had auto duplex tho but there are not many printers that do have it.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a HP 1006 which does a good job. Does A4 and F4 but sadly, got the printer for 3,500 baht and priced the toner cartridge on Monday which was on sale for 2,100 baht at Office Depot. I had the same problem with an Inkjet HP-895. Cheap to buy but they get you on the cartridge. Just a sign of the times.

I had planned on the scan, fax, and print printer until I found they used an inkjet cartridge. You can't win. They got you by the short hairs.

I bought a HP 1006 which does a good job. Does A4 and F4 but sadly, got the printer for 3,500 baht and priced the toner cartridge on Monday which was on sale for 2,100 baht at Office Depot. I had the same problem with an Inkjet HP-895. Cheap to buy but they get you on the cartridge. Just a sign of the times.

I had planned on the scan, fax, and print printer until I found they used an inkjet cartridge. You can't win. They got you by the short hairs.

Xerox Docuprint C2100 colour lazer printer. Available now in Pantip for 17500 with free duplexer, 22ppm.

Very decent printer.