Motor Bikes (bigger Ones)

onnut

A spin off from another thread in the Bikes in Bangkok forum! :)

as car drivers, would you mind having to share the freeways or tollways with motorbikes over 250cc?

me personally thinks it would be a bad idea! but what do you lot have to say about it?

Are the motorcycles being ridden by Thai's or foreigners?

yeah, that is my point really. I trust the foreigners on the freeways but not the locals. we cant have one and not the other.

Now whos being racist ?. :D id say that almost all buyers of bigger bikes will be able to ride them better and will have more experience, in fact when was the last accident you saw involving a big bike ?.nah its always the smaller ones and to put it politely a different clientele ride those,. :D:)

Does not matter. Most of the Thai bigbike riders are just as competent as most foreigner's. And most Thai's would not use the Tollways much anyway because of the BIB.

Yes thaicbr is right. Every Thai big bike rider I see is a competent, patient, respectful rider. It's a silly question anyway becaue here are relatively so few big bike riders in general that you will hardly notice them. I think the issue will be the boy racers who remove the exhaust and bore out their 125cc Sonics and such and zip around with wide open throttle finding thier way on the tollways with the relaxing of the laws.

Does not matter. Most of the Thai bigbike riders are just as competent as most foreigner's. And most Thai's would not use the Tollways much anyway because of the BIB.

Yes thaicbr is right. Every Thai big bike rider I see is a competent, patient, respectful rider. It's a silly question anyway becaue here are relatively so few big bike riders in general that you will hardly notice them. I think the issue will be the boy racers who remove the exhaust and bore out their 125cc Sonics and such and zip around with wide open throttle finding thier way on the tollways with the relaxing of the laws.

I do not think it is a silly question, bigger bikes are around and more and more will follow. there are a couple of factories making bigger bikes over here now, Suzuki and Kawazaki are making bikes for the Thai market meaning more will follow.

Edited by onnut

When was the last time I saw a big bike in an accident?.

Take one bike rental in Pattaya with Yamaha R-1's and Fireblades.

Add one middle eastern gentleman in shorts and sandals, his new thai GF and an ego.

15 minutes later scrape said gentleman and ex-fireblade off 2nd road. A daily occurance.

Gnerally bigger bike riders are more aware, thats all. Not necessarily more skillful IMHO.

And as for sharing the freeway and asking if the rider be falang or Thai, its a moot point. You dont have to share the freeway, worst luck. (Guess what I use for transport.) Besides which the freeways belong to the thais last time I looked, so to question what nationality is riding on it seems hard to justify. Many thai riders on big bikes are good riders... very good riders. Darwin took care of the bad ones.

I have been trying to educate Vietnamese and thai friends on the basics of motorbike riding for years: That the front brake stops you, that you push the left handle bar forward to go left... the basics.

Thais get it, Vietnamese don't.

One day you will have to share the freeways...

When was the last time I saw a big bike in an accident?.

Take one bike rental in Pattaya with Yamaha R-1's and Fireblades.

Add one middle eastern gentleman in shorts and sandals, his new thai GF and an ego.

15 minutes later scrape said gentleman and ex-fireblade off 2nd road. A daily occurance.

Gnerally bigger bike riders are more aware, thats all. Not necessarily more skillful IMHO.

And as for sharing the freeway and asking if the rider be falang or Thai, its a moot point. You dont have to share the freeway, worst luck. (Guess what I use for transport.) Besides which the freeways belong to the thais last time I looked, so to question what nationality is riding on it seems hard to justify. Many thai riders on big bikes are good riders... very good riders. Darwin took care of the bad ones.

I have been trying to educate Vietnamese and thai friends on the basics of motorbike riding for years: That the front brake stops you, that you push the left handle bar forward to go left... the basics.

Thais get it, Vietnamese don't.

One day you will have to share the freeways...

Yes, i agree, i should have said except pattaya and phuket, and most of them casualties are foreigners, not thais, Edited by SMEEERE

Yes, i agree, i should have said except pattaya and phuket, and most of them casualties are foreigners, not thais,

For statistical reasons alone, your argument is not right.