You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Laying Down The Law

soundman

I guess that means either:

a - folks will have to look for their compensated drinking and singing partners at places other than those with karaoke licenses....

or

b - it will end up being like so many other laws where a sufficient amount of tea money makes everything well.

or

c - both of the above

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it. It's brilliant. It's all part of the "Secret mens club" diversionary tactics. Chapter 3, page 47.

Make up a "law" that does not allow female "hosts" to be at Karaoke joints.

When your wife of gf complains about you going to karaoke, just point at said "law" and say that "it's just the boys having a few beers and a sing song", honey. Back at 3".

Of course, all of us in the "Secret mens club" know that this law will never be enforced and behind those mirror doors are wenches willing to listen to us murder Stairway to Heaven, pour us another whiskey and feed us grapes.

Absolutely Brilliant.

I'm very concerned about the impact of these new regulations. And I hope the Royal Thai Police will institute more stringent physical training standards so their officers don't risk injury to their arms and necks as they extend their hands to take kickbacks and turn their heads to look the other way.

Hi.

I for one agree to these changes. Have you ever been in the situation where you actually NEEDED an internet cafe, maybe because your computer just died or you were far away from home when your boss called to tell you that you urgently need to reply to a business e-mail? Then you got to an internet cafe and ALL the computers were occupied with kids playing senseless shoot-em-up games, with more kids waiting in line already? So you went looking for another internet cafe and it was the exact same situation there? Happened to me, not once but twice already.

And how about parents bringing their three-year-olds to the theater to watch horror movies which, in the western world, would be restricted to 18+ audiences? No wonder everyone in this country believes in ghosts when they start "learning" of their presence in empty houses from such a young age. On the other hand if the captain of the Titanic is shown on an oil painting during a documentary about the Titanic, his cigar is pixelated. As is any beer bottle. However a minute later Singha and Johnny Walker run their advertisements (carefully avoiding to show the product, as if not even kids knew what that product is!)

So if all television is censored to be watched by toddlers, i very much welcome a rating system for movies. Just make sure it is done right! I.e. do NOT censor all movies to be suitable for The Children™ but run uncensored versions that may even show a nipple or a cigarette at times and make sure the audience is 16 or 18 or whatever required (ID check is simple).

They have this sort of rating everywhere in the developed world and nobody complains, so why not here?

Best regards.....

Thanh

The R rating in the US is not for the horror in the film, its the 5 seconds of a nud_e girl they cut into the film so they can get the rating they wanted, because R rated sells more tickets.  True fact.  And it has proven to up the sale of video games as well. :)

I certainly hope that cinemas will enforce the film ratings. I recall watching the last Rambo film with a Thai family sitting behind me with a young child (4 or 5 years old) clearly very distraught (crying screaming etc) during some scenes that no child of that age should see.

The karaoke thing is a huge double standard, why crack down on that and turn a blind eye to massage parlours and go go bars?

Because the politicians don't own karaoke bars?

This will probably put a few people out of work. :)
The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licenses being revoked if they do.

And a complete total loss of the Japanese trade too.

Most people either go as a group for a drunken singalong,

or as a few men looking for same WITH COMPANY.

not only will this kill most kareoki business it will

as SM points out put tens of thousands out of work.

The Japanese will not stop doing business in Thailand if this is implemented.

Thanyia Plaza will indeed be decimated but if you truly believe that

- the Japanese only do business here because of Thai Karaoke bars

- the Japanese aren't getting pretty comfortable with Nana & Cowboy for their kicks

Then you are mistaken.

I'm sitting in an office looking at 3 very bleary eyed Japanese guys now that stumbled into the office at 10am (for a 9 am meeting) with big grins on their faces.

Sure - they enjoy their Karaokes but they will continue to do business here without them.

I THOUGHT it should be obvious I meant Japanese Karaoke trade,

not a shut down of all Japanese business ties with Thailand.

Which would have been a ludicrous suggestion....

What I inferred is that the walk in Japanese karaoke trade will now go directly to the private club thing

and in general the doings behind those cloistered walls make most of our predilections pale to nun status.

The Japanese don't typically do the Nana/Cowboy thing,

they start the evening with a public karaoke and pretty girl thing,

and when half in the bag move to the hardcore stuff in private.

Now less public niceties and more directly to the bizarre.

And the reasonably NICE earlier evening girls will lose the big tips, and jobs

and the seriously jaded, hardcore, do anything, prosties will get over worked.

Edited by animatic

The new rules, which also cover Internet cafes, allow children to play computer games for more than three hours and up to six hours a day, says Culture Minister Teera Salakpetch.

The Cabinet also agreed that an IT system to keep kids under 18 from playing computer games for more than three hours a day should be ready before a ministerial regulation amendment is proposed later, he added.

What is it I'm not getting here? ALL children are allowed to play AT LEAST 3 hours per day, up to 6 when older. But an IT system is needed to make sure that NO children play MORE than 3 hours per day??? :)

Laying down the law

New regulations on karaoke, Internet gaming, film ratings set to take effect

30108573-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licences being revoked if they do.

Deputy government spokes-man Phumin Leetheeraprasert said the Cabinet also assigned the Office of the Council of State to adjust some of the wording before the regulations are implemented.

The new rules, which also cover Internet cafes, allow children to play computer games for more than three hours and up to six hours a day, says Culture Minister Teera Salakpetch.

Those under 15 will be allowed to use the service from 2pm to 8pm from Monday to Friday and from 10am to 8pm during holidays and school breaks, while those aged 15 to 18 can play games until 10pm, Teera says.

The Cabinet also agreed that an IT system to keep kids under 18 from playing computer games for more than three hours a day should be ready before a ministerial regulation amendment is proposed later, he added.

Seven movie categories

Other regulations approved concern film ratings. The minister said there were seven categories: educational films people are encouraged to see; films suitable for the general audience; films suitable for those over 13; films suitable for those over 15; films suitable for those over 18; films restricted for persons under 20, and films banned from being screened in the Kingdom.

Teera also said that the ministry has finished making the six rating symbols and would submit them to the National Committee on Film and Video in mid-August before they are implemented.

The symbols are: "Sor" (from the Thai word song serm that means "promoted") for educational films people are encouraged to see; "Thor" (from thua pai meaning "general") for films suitable for the general audience; "Nor 13+" (Nor is from naenam meaning "advisory") for films suitable for those over 13; "Nor 15+"; "Nor 18+", and "Chor 20+" (Chor is from chapor that means "specific") for films restricted for persons under 20.

The two regulations should take effect in mid-August.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

I get it. It's brilliant. It's all part of the "Secret mens club" diversionary tactics. Chapter 3, page 47.

Make up a "law" that does not allow female "hosts" to be at Karaoke joints.

When your wife of gf complains about you going to karaoke, just point at said "law" and say that "it's just the boys having a few beers and a sing song", honey. Back at 3".

Of course, all of us in the "Secret mens club" know that this law will never be enforced and behind those mirror doors are wenches willing to listen to us murder Stairway to Heaven, pour us another whiskey and feed us grapes.

Absolutely Brilliant.

And most also have the uncanny ability to

Suck a golf ball through 30 feet of garden hose, and come up smiling.

The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licences being revoked if they do.

LOL... Thailand does not lack laws. What most have observed is the laws are not enforced. There are few sanctions hence LOS - Lack of Sanctions. LOL so this ought to increase some money into the pockets of those who are here to protect and serve. LOLOLLLLOOOOLL

<snip>

Those under 15 will be allowed to use the service from 2pm to 8pm from Monday to Friday and from 10am to 8pm during holidays and school breaks, while those aged 15 to 18 can play games until 10pm, Teera says.

IMPOSSIBLE!. How can that work??? Every game shop has its own server! Does someone really think game shop owners are going to "kill" their own business and follow these rules... No! IMHO

TiT where they can't even provide proper internet connections...

You will find everything will continue as normal except that the famous "tea money" bucket will now find its way to the internet shops! The BIB must have asked for a pay rise...As for Karoke bars not being able to supply singing partners &lt;deleted&gt;! cannot get my head round that one.What is this new law trying to say? Maybe there should be a new law across the board which says, "All woman are equiped to be hookers so they are banned from public places"! Things will stay the same at the Karoke bars as long as the tea bucket is replenished...

Laying down the law

30108573-01.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Confusing Soundman! :) In one breath you say children can play for more than 3 hrs. Then you say that an IT system to be put in place to PREVENT 18yrs and under from playing more than 3 hrs per day. :D

Laying down the law

30108573-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licences being revoked if they do.

Deputy government spokes-man Phumin Leetheeraprasert said the Cabinet also assigned the Office of the Council of State to adjust some of the wording before the regulations are implemented.

Seven movie categories

Other regulations approved concern film ratings. The minister said there were seven categories: educational films people are encouraged to see; films suitable for the general audience; films suitable for those over 13; films suitable for those over 15; films suitable for those over 18; films restricted for persons under 20, and films banned from being screened in the Kingdom.

Teera also said that the ministry has finished making the six rating symbols and would submit them to the National Committee on Film and Video in mid-August before they are implemented.

The symbols are: "Sor" (from the Thai word song serm that means "promoted") for educational films people are encouraged to see; "Thor" (from thua pai meaning "general") for films suitable for the general audience; "Nor 13+" (Nor is from naenam meaning "advisory") for films suitable for those over 13; "Nor 15+"; "Nor 18+", and "Chor 20+" (Chor is from chapor that means "specific") for films restricted for persons under 20.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Oh no! This is the thin end of the wedge. Next they'll be introducing the banning of smoking in bars and the use of mobile phones whilst driving. And we'll probably have to wear crash helmets and have to drive on the left. !!!

This will probably put a few people out of work. :D
The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licences being revoked if they do.

Just deny access to karaoke to those who can't sing and the problem is solved :D

Thats good. it's about time they start rippingoff there own.

And we all know HOW MUCH THE THAI'S RESPECT THE LAW :D . SO IN ONE EAR AND OUT THE OTHER. :) MORE MONEY FOR THE COPS. :D

post-83413-1248840620_thumb.jpg

I certainly hope that cinemas will enforce the film ratings. I recall watching the last Rambo film with a Thai family sitting behind me with a young child (4 or 5 years old) clearly very distraught (crying screaming etc) during some scenes that no child of that age should see.

The karaoke thing is a huge double standard, why crack down on that and turn a blind eye to massage parlours and go go bars?

The tea money link must still be intact for the massage parlors and go go bars. Corruption is trying to regrip I thaink. :)

they (government) really know their priority overhere

I propose : stop prostitution , abuse of children, abuse of alcohol , stop selling sigarets

really I do

if Thailand want to get genuine tourists that spend money and not hookers, pimps and drug dealers

Each of these may be a laudable goal but if I understand your post, that is not the point that you are making. I believe that you are saying that your proposals will entice tourists that will spend money and not entice hookers, pimps, and drug dealers. But sadly, you do not mention how or why you feel that your four suggestions will accomplish this. For example, you suggest that Thailand stop selling cigarettes, and hint that the result will be tourists that spend money. What is the connection? Are you thinking that there are tourists somewhere that are saying to themselves "Gee, I have all this money I want to spend, and I would go to Thailand except they allow cigarette sales there. I guess I will have to go someplace else."?

And is it your idea that tourists that currently who come to Thailand are not genuine if they spend money on alcohol? Or are you only thinking of those that "abuse" alcohol. Truthfully, I am pretty sure that by abuse you do not mean that the tourists talk cruelly to alcohol or make it do things it doesn't want to do, so I am guessing that you are thinking of tourists that spend what you believe is too much money buying alcohol. Or do you mean something else? Are people pouring it in their ears, or pouring it on the heads of socialites, or what? What exactly are the particular abuses you have in mind? And if you feel that buying too much alcohol is a problem, that would be confusing, since you seem to want to attract people that spend money instead of these tourists that (you guessed it) spend money but just not on things you like. [bTW, I also feel that I would like to have a society wherein alcohol is not a significant part, but your post does not address this. It only says that if we stop "abuse of alcohol" we will get "genuine tourists."]

You also seem to think that everyone would understand what is wrong with prostitution, since you leave that unwritten. Perhaps it might help us in accepting your belief if you could tell us exactly why someone that gives money to a prostitute is not a genuine tourist. I am only guessing, but I bet that you would think it is ok for a tourist to give a merit-making gift of money to help out some poor prostitute that is supporting her children, but not ok if they give that same money to the prostitute and then the prostitute goes out with them. Am I right about that? If I am right, then the thing you object to is not the money changing hands, it is just that you object to the sex between the two consenting adults. Am I on track here? And you feel that somehow such an occurance would brand the tourist as not genuine?

Or are you simply saying that allowing prostitution or abuse of alcohol or cigarettes brings hookers and pimps into the country. Certainly that would make sense, but what proportion of the people that arrive here each day are hookers and pimps? Is this a real problem?

Let's face it, your post seems on the surface to be a simple statement based on universally accepted truths, but it is instead an oversimplified analysis of several issues that would cause long debate if stated directly.

I for one believe your heart is in the right place, but perhaps your brain is not yet fully focused. I can clearly see your compassion and desire to help, but I believe you have not yet critically analyzed your feelings. You seem to feel that genuine tourists are a good thing (though you don't give us any reason to believe that, especially in light of how much damage reliance on tourism has caused a disaster that we are going trough even now) and you feel that certain other things are bad, but perhaps could help us better understand your feelings if you told us how you came to them. Otherwise you sound like Archie Bunker - strong opinions based on gut feelings but which could not stand being seen in the light of day. I am not saying you are a bad fella, I am just saying that your opinions seem to be lacking in foundation. Maybe you could help us out here.

At the same time, I have to agree that the government hasn't got a clue as to their priorites. On that point I believe you were right on target. They have no clear vision of what they want to accomplish or where they want to go, so how in the heck are they ever going to arrive there? They have no idea of what is most important, second most, third and so on, so they are like an army that constantly fires their guns in random directions and hopes they accomplish something.

Hi.

They have this sort of rating everywhere in the developed world and nobody complains, so why not here?

Best regards.....

Thanh

No-one is disagreeing with the film rating. That is sensible and enforcable. The other laws are for show only and never be enforced.

Real Bad Girl; people are not upset by the laws. They are just amusing. Why go home when the government here can make us laugh so much :)

You say "At least we do something":...The trouble is the government does not do anything...it does not enforce laws, so they just because a waste of time when they make all these laws that are not worth the paper they are written on. If you can't see that all these laws will do is encourage more kickbacks and corruption then you have your head in the sand.

Edited by aaron70

Laying down the law

30108573-01.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Confusing Soundman! :) In one breath you say children can play for more than 3 hrs. Then you say that an IT system to be put in place to PREVENT 18yrs and under from playing more than 3 hrs per day. :D

its not "Soundman" who wrote that. Its an article from "THE NATION". SM is the topic starter

Laying down the law

30108573-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- .....

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Might work if kids must have a picture bearing smart card

and it fits in a card reader on EVERY internet cafe computer,

or at least on a master computer for a network this MIGHT be controlled.

But it is gonna be quite pricey, need a windows compatible software, in Thai of course,

the SAME version on every Icafe computer in the nation,

and need an absolute nation wide implementation students and cafes,

and all sorts of issues beyond that.

The HOURS stated are ridiculously too much. 6 hours of gaming a day is OK... what ARE they thinking!

2 hours a day of non educational and that's it.

Basically kids, you have between 4-6 pm then go home for dinner.

There is little likelihood of an 'IT system' being able to regulate this.

These guys just don't UNDERSTAND the technology at all.

Actually, such a law will increase employment, rather than reduce it.

Girls do not sing and drink, but need only to cuddle and converse.

More gaming shops will opened serving many multiples of 3-hour fun. Seems govt officials cannot calculate without a calculator, while children can with their fingers and toes.

The film rating missed a category - films suitable for people age 20 and above, or perhaps they did a detail survey and found no customers above the age of 20?

Good to see that this government is busy solving the economic problems of businesses by creating more useless unenforceable laws. Never mind, I understand too that the elite is heavily involved in the police and army and thus this provides an great money making opportunity to bribe the police. Even if you do not provide singing partners (What is wrong with that?) the police will claim you did as a busniess owner. An enveloppe will solve the problem.

It is high time that the courts will end this useless government by enforcing the ame absurd standards as they did on Samak. New elections are absolutely necessary.

Laying down the law

30108573-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- .....

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Might work if kids must have a picture bearing smart card

and it fits in a card reader on EVERY internet cafe computer,

or at least on a master computer for a network this MIGHT be controlled.

But it is gonna be quite pricey, need a windows compatible software, in Thai of course,

the SAME version on every Icafe computer in the nation,

and need an absolute nation wide implementation students and cafes,

and all sorts of issues beyond that.

The HOURS stated are ridiculously too much. 6 hours of gaming a day is OK... what ARE they thinking!

2 hours a day of non educational and that's it.

Basically kids, you have between 4-6 pm then go home for dinner.

There is little likelihood of an 'IT system' being able to regulate this.

These guys just don't UNDERSTAND the technology at all.

I'd like to add something... can't they make Thailands cra_p Internet (so called Thai ADSL) to run properly as first goal and then as a second step think of such 'regulation'?

Edited by webfact

Hi.

I for one agree to these changes. Have you ever been in the situation where you actually NEEDED an internet cafe, maybe because your computer just died or you were far away from home when your boss called to tell you that you urgently need to reply to a business e-mail? Then you got to an internet cafe and ALL the computers were occupied with kids playing senseless shoot-em-up games, with more kids waiting in line already? So you went looking for another internet cafe and it was the exact same situation there? Happened to me, not once but twice already.

Bo-ho, I really care for you. No, I don't. Walk some more nd get your own computer fixed and you can use it for whatever you like. But restricting others usage they are paying their money for is just plain social fascism. Not that that will stop you... :)

And how about parents bringing their three-year-olds to the theater to watch horror movies which, in the western world, would be restricted to 18+ audiences? No wonder everyone in this country believes in ghosts when they start "learning" of their presence in empty houses from such a young age. On the other hand if the captain of the Titanic is shown on an oil painting during a documentary about the Titanic, his cigar is pixelated. As is any beer bottle. However a minute later Singha and Johnny Walker run their advertisements (carefully avoiding to show the product, as if not even kids knew what that product is!)

So if all television is censored to be watched by toddlers, i very much welcome a rating system for movies. Just make sure it is done right! I.e. do NOT censor all movies to be suitable for The Children but run uncensored versions that may even show a nipple or a cigarette at times and make sure the audience is 16 or 18 or whatever required (ID check is simple).

Age-limits are again the effects of a government that tries to deem them better knowledgeable about your kids than you yourself.

If I wanna show my son a medium-scary movie at 12 years old instead of waiting until he is 13 is is my prerogative and not Your decision.

And the case of western counties being morally backwards and suffering from their Victorian heritage together with a need to always aim for a nanny-state isn't something one should copy. But Thailand always will aim for it...

Hi.

Thanh

So, just to be clear, you support laws curtailing the freedom of Thai business owners and citizens because it adds to your convenience in the off chance you need to send an e-mail? A little self-centered, don't you think? while you're at it, why not propose a law prohibiting minors from entering a 7-11, just in case your boss calls and urgently needs you to pick up a "big-bite" for him? No reason you should wait in line behind a bunch of pesky kids who should be doing something better with their time...

And how about parents bringing their three-year-olds to the theater to watch horror movies which, in the western world, would be restricted to 18+ audiences? No wonder everyone in this country believes in ghosts when they start "learning" of their presence in empty houses from such a young age.

Thanh

Yes, I'm fairly certain that the rampant belief in ghosts so endemic in Thailand has everything to do with Thai parents taking their toddlers to Western horror movies and very little to do with the hundreds of indiginous ghost stories that are part of Thai folklore and are told to just about every child from the time they can walk. Seriously, are you actually advocating a law that curtails the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit in order to instill your belief system over the parents'? And, by the way, the rating system in most Western countries only prohibit minors unaccompanied by a parent or guardian from entering. The decision of whether to allow your children to view a film is usually left to the discretion of the parent, not mandated by the state.

So if all television is censored to be watched by toddlers, i very much welcome a rating system for movies. Just make sure it is done right! I.e. do NOT censor all movies to be suitable for The Children™ but run uncensored versions that may even show a nipple or a cigarette at times and make sure the audience is 16 or 18 or whatever required (ID check is simple).

Thanh

I actually agree with this logic. It is definitely preferrable to limit access to certain things for minors than for a government to try to play "nanny" by censoring and/or banning things that should be a matter of individual choice and freedom for adults.

Hi.

Best regards.....

Thanh

The over use of Playing Computer games by children of school age is serious in Thailand and damages their education . As a teacher here , playing Computer Games always comes top of students leisure time activity. Of course nothing will be done that seriously tackles the issue . This is Thailand , Nothing ever is done that tackles serious issues. They only pass laws and regs to irritate and inconvenience persons and organizations that are benefiting the country.

Edited by sunnymarky