Work Permit Regulations

OK, i am a fairly competant "DIYer" and over the years have tackled such jobs as small roofing repairs, plumbing, built in furniture making etc.

Say i was working one day, on the family home in some way, and next door said "my, thats a good job you are doing, can you do the same for me?"

This, of course would be done free of charge, as, to my thinking you dont charge for favours. So i bring my ladders and tools etc and set about the job in hand.

A more likely scenario now, is........my Thai wife has a few properties dotted around the place that she rents out to the locals. With the downturn she is afraid of going alone to collect the rents from the renters. What if i volunteered to drive her around, but sit in the car when she went to collect. Acting ONLY as a transporter.....similar to when we go shopping, for example.

I know people come unstuck thinking that its OK for them to clear plates and so on in restaurant owned by their wives, so i dont want something similar happen to me when i do something thats classed as NOT working in my home country. The old "TIT" thing i guess

Would/could either of those 2 examples above be judged to be in contavention of any rules relating to work permit regulations.

I am probably talking both the spirit of the law, as well as the letter of the law.

Penkoprod

Do some futher research, there is a list of jobs that you may not do legally, that list includes construction and being a driver. Also collecting rent will surely create a situation where you need to get out of the car on one occasion at least.

As for doing minor repair work on your own home there is not likely to be any problem, but when you start taking business away from whoever is doing that job (however badly) locally now you are sure to come to the attention of people that will offer big threats and have hands extended looking for a donation to look the otherway.

There is a Thai saying: "Don't mess with some else's rice bowl."

Do some futher research, there is a list of jobs that you may not do legally, that list includes construction and being a driver. Also collecting rent will surely create a situation where you need to get out of the car on one occasion at least.

As for doing minor repair work on your own home there is not likely to be any problem, but when you start taking business away from whoever is doing that job (however badly) locally now you are sure to come to the attention of people that will offer big threats and have hands extended looking for a donation to look the otherway.

There is a Thai saying: "Don't mess with some else's rice bowl."

I have heard of this list being mentioned before{the jobs that you may and may not do}Have you any idea where I can find this list?

Here is the list, but its a bit vague and with plenty of "grey areas" relating to what i am on about. But, as Cuban says, it seems a case of "farang, dont touch ANY activity that can be construed as work without a permit, if one can be granted"

It seems there are plenty of jobs that fall into the not permitted catergory, even in those grey areas that its not worth the bother

http://www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

Penkoprod