Beware Of Suspected Scam At Central Food Court

Meg_2003

If this is a scam, then it's a pretty dumb scam because unless a person loaded a card with a large amount it would soon become obvious to a diner that there wasn't enough credit on a card in which case they would quickly return to the cashier to complain.

If this happened a few times it would soon become obvious to management that the cashier was stealing.

'The Management' could well be 'in on it'

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect this is yet another sign of hard times amongst the working poor here in Thailand - I posted a similar experience here in Jungceylon in Phuket recently. Buyer beware!

middle age ,meg, you said? it's probably a mistake. live and let live. happens around the world during hard times like these. forgive and forget, even if it is true. think of it as "tamboon", dear..... :)

Rubbish!

And BTW, this middle aged Meg is sixty.

I suspect this is yet another sign of hard times amongst the working poor here in Thailand - I posted a similar experience here in Jungceylon in Phuket recently. Buyer beware!

middle age ,meg, you said? it's probably a mistake. live and let live. happens around the world during hard times like these. forgive and forget, even if it is true. think of it as "tamboon", dear..... :)

Rubbish!

I thought that middle aged was about 45 ish - because we live on a average to about 90.

BTW Meg is only 21 :D

Rubbish!

I thought that middle aged was about 45 ish - because we live on a average to about 90.

BTW Meg is only 21 :D

Age my dear is 90% psychological and 10% physical, in my case at least. Thus, poor Meg is to be pitied for being so far down the scale. :D

I think it is just a mistake.

Right :) Mistake or no mistake, The warning is still out to check your receipt. Because if we hadn't of checked the receipt when we did, I doubt the cashier would have come running after us with our 100 baht and we still would have been 100 baht down. Mistake or Scam. Check your receipts.

Rule of thumb is check everything when dealing with money whether in Thailand or anywhere in the world.

The spanish and cockney english are the worst in the world,as the thais are not very good at it.

I would not like to be a non speaking tourist in London for all the money in the world.

I think it is just a mistake.

Right :) Mistake or no mistake, The warning is still out to check your receipt. Because if we hadn't of checked the receipt when we did, I doubt the cashier would have come running after us with our 100 baht and we still would have been 100 baht down. Mistake or Scam. Check your receipts.

Rule of thumb is check everything when dealing with money whether in Thailand or anywhere in the world.

The spanish and cockney english are the worst in the world,as the thais are not very good at it.

I would not like to be a non speaking tourist in London for all the money in the world.

There are money changers in Manila so skilled in sleight of hand trickery that even the most aware of tourists can be caught out.

Edited by tropo

I was staying at a guest house for about 6 months here and one day one of the managers asked me when i was going to pay some more rent as she said I was behind.

When I gave her my receipts showing her I was about 30 days in front she cross checked my receipts with the original book and the amounts were different, one of the office staff who I always paid was putting in lesser amounts on the office copy and pocketing the difference.

After further investigation the owner told me she had taken over 80 thousand baht in a couple of months.

Remain calm and ask for the manager. If you get a blank go find him loudly (but politely).

Always works for me. Polite but insistent and loud where required.

When the 'manager' arrives offer your business card in swap for his with all the smiles and hanshakes that go with it. he has no card we move onto next stage. If he hasn't got one go throught the same procedure to see his boss without handing yours over, works in most countries and almost certainly here, for me at least.

I'm a pain in these situations and a bit arrogant and the wife bubbles away in Thai translating and backing me up. But the key is always polite.

I was scammed about a month ago at Festival food court. I had purchased 2 cards, 200 baht per card. Only after buying everything, did I realize that one card only had 100 baht. I went back to complain, but by now a new crew was sitting at the register. I demanded my money back, they gave me a 100 baht just to get rid of me. Lesson learned, be careful with that bunch and check your receipts.

Edited by painai2

the other thing you know, we aren't on the banks of some muddy, backwater tributary, bartering with live chickens and

loose rounds of ammunition. this is "the largest shopping center in asia" only opened 1 month now, the cinema upstairs

in particular is the nicest one i have ever been to. the attendants are all decked-out in varied and stylish uniforms. sure,

you always have to count your change but sometimes your guard is down. your little friend is pulling on your arm, the

queue is busy and jostling, there are distracting conversations (intentional or otherwise)going-on. so why are people

resorting to this petty thieving? it's just a very strange mentality that i don't even want to try to analyze too closely. :)