Is Multi-culturism Good For A Country?

IanForbes

multiculturalism is good for human beings in general, so is good for countries by default.

Totally agree. IMO we can have peace only if we each make an effort to be more tolerant and accept others, not always expecting others to do the hard work.

We all have prejudices but I know I have to think of the consequences of what I say and do. Funnily enough I get on far better with members of ethnic groups different from my own, as it depends on mindset, education, habits, interests etc.

I married a man totally unacceptable to my family at a time when I'd not come across another cross-cultural marriage, unlike today, but we were both resourceful and had the same values.

It's so refreshing talking to, and mixing with, much younger people from all nationalities because they are usually more open to change than some of my generation.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is multiculturalism a good thing?"

Wrong question. In a globalizing world with income and skills disparities, colonial vestiges, easy and cheap travel and a host of other trends, multiculturalism is inevitable. The real question is: how do we make it work?

It's fine and even good if new immigrants want to retain their culture, and, in any case, it's their inalienable right if that's what they want. Things go wrong when trying to retain one's culture is done through blind exclusion of other cultures from one's lives. That's why the term coined was "multiculturalism" and not "Cultural Ghettoism". Things also go wrong when immigrants are in any way forced or hurried or harried into integrating.

Transporting culture is a tricky business. Immigrants practice culture and tradition that is frozen in time. I've met Kenyan Indians whose 'Indian' way of life is far removed from their counterparts in the 'home' communities in India. In India, the practices grew, mutated, evolved and changed. The cousins in Kenya were still practicing what their ancestors had brought to Kenya generations ago. Inflexibility will eventually lead to atrophy, but in the meantime could do damage.

Excellent points. But it's not the wrong question because the inevitability of it could come too late. It IS desirable, therefore we should remove the barriers to it...and we can't remove the barriers until the opponants of it see reason.

Deal with the philosophies of the xenophobes by asking the question.

I have no argument with you on whether multiculturalism is a good thing. But I think that debating the point gives legitimacy to xenophobes, just as debating 'intelligent design' gives proponents of that silliness the veneer of scientific legitimacy. I have grown up dealing with xenophobes. They don't care whether multiculturalism is a good thing or not; they don't care whether immigrants contribute to society; they don't care that homogeneity, even if it were possible, would impoverish their own lives and the lives of their children. Such people will always find something to hate. Debating them assumes they have a philosophy worthy of debate. All they have is hate of the other, any 'other' will do.

By the way, I think that both immigrants as well as their hosts have a lot of issues to work through.

I take your point. Face the inevitability.

But it's because "...both immigrants as well as their hosts have a lot of issues to work through.." that the subject should be debated. Point out the holes in the xenophobes arguments, point out that they are perpetuating the problem with their biases, point out that they are hitting their heads against a brick wall..... point out the futility of their stance.

It seems to me we don't disagree in any material way.

You want to discuss whether multiculturalism is good, and in that process raise awareness to make it work.

I think that, good or bad, multiculturalism is here, is ireversible, it's march unstoppable in an ever shrinking, integrating world and that we should go straight to talking about making it work.

Those riling against immigration can slow the process down and make it more painful than it needs to be, but ultimatley, they're spitting into the wind. If this awareness were to sink in, there might be a little less upheaval, but the process will never be painless. I wanted to say that it's pointless arguing with irrational, hate-filled xenophobes, but it's occurred to me that some opponents may be personally affected by the pains of the process and these folks need help accepting the process as much as immigrants need help settling.

It seems to me we don't disagree in any material way.

You want to discuss whether multiculturalism is good, and in that process raise awareness to make it work.

I think that, good or bad, multiculturalism is here, is ireversible, it's march unstoppable in an ever shrinking, integrating world and that we should go straight to talking about making it work.

Those riling against immigration can slow the process down and make it more painful than it needs to be, but ultimatley, they're spitting into the wind. If this awareness were to sink in, there might be a little less upheaval, but the process will never be painless. I wanted to say that it's pointless arguing with irrational, hate-filled xenophobes, but it's occurred to me that some opponents may be personally affected by the pains of the process and these folks need help accepting the process as much as immigrants need help settling.

OK...you've swung me. :)

Nonetheless I will defend MC.... perhaps with a bit more understanding to those that are affected detrimentally....however difficult it may be to be nice to bigots.

My understanding of the current consensus is that homo sapiens emerged around 150,000 years ago, in Africa. Why hark back to that? Because it makes the point that we all have common origins, in Africa. And if there had been no migration, we (many fewer of us, of course) would still be there. All looking and sounding the same, presumably.

Yes we may be able to trace out linage back to a common ancestor from 'Africa' But my personal opinion is that back in the dark days of prehistory anybody with any ability, energy or inventivness left and migrated elsewhere... Leaving their lazy, dim-witted and idle relatives behind,their decendants still reside there to this day and have yet to invent the wheel or contribute anything to the modern World.. Instead we continue to support them and provide technology way ahead of their current evolution.. No wonder Africa is such a mess..

Didn't these 'aid' agencies and Govt do-gooders watch 'Star Trek' ?

Don't they know the 'Prime Directive' ? :)

Roast Lamb

I live in a grim midlands city where white people are in the minority and I walk around and see many different nationalities speaking many different languages, often dressed badly, sometimes drinking, generally behaving like unemployed louts. Why were they let in? What are they bringing to the country?

I've been away from the UK for a number of years, but I'm sure there are no Cities where white, I guess you mean English and not those Eastern European peasants, are in the minority.

I'm from Bradford, long recognised as a major "Asian" City. I just googled and found some figures from the 2001 census, granted a bit out of date, but there will not have been any dramatic shift since then.

The results were:

White 80%

Asian 19%

Black 1%

I know that some inner urban areas of UK cities can have migrants outnumbering white people, but that's not what you said.

My understanding of the current consensus is that homo sapiens emerged around 150,000 years ago, in Africa. Why hark back to that? Because it makes the point that we all have common origins, in Africa. And if there had been no migration, we (many fewer of us, of course) would still be there. All looking and sounding the same, presumably.

Yes we may be able to trace out linage back to a common ancestor from 'Africa' But my personal opinion is that back in the dark days of prehistory anybody with any ability, energy or inventivness left and migrated elsewhere... Leaving their lazy, dim-witted and idle relatives behind,their decendants still reside there to this day and have yet to invent the wheel or contribute anything to the modern World.. Instead we continue to support them and provide technology way ahead of their current evolution.. No wonder Africa is such a mess..

Didn't these 'aid' agencies and Govt do-gooders watch 'Star Trek' ?

Don't they know the 'Prime Directive' ? :)

I believe the 'prime directive' was breached when Europeans colonized, enslaved and exploited Africa, Africans and African resources for their own economic (not to mention lustful) benefit—benefits which their descendants have continued to enjoy. Restitution can be a bitch but, one way or another, she always comes knocking.

Multiculturalism is one of those political correct therms. Its all depend what you understand by it.

As long there is some common ground there is no problem, Western culture and society is based on Christian-Jewish traditions and values, so everybody from any European country have the same basic values and therefore (be that there are some minor differences in cultural and social behavior) there are not much problem with multiculturalism and it can be even good for the society.

But when you have an massive import of millions with total different values and background who refuse and even reject the values of the leadig culture and political and religious system, you will have great problems because they just don't mingle in the society but contrary they try to enforce their values upon the leading culture and change the rules in their benefit and values.

Europe is a perfect example of this

So in this way multiculturalism is a curse.

IMHO its best that theres an leading culture and that everybody move to stay there he/she should adopt himself to the leading culture. What he/she do in the privacy of their home is a different matter.

So in short. Thailand is a culture based upon Buddhism and Confucianism and I confirm myself in my public life and appearances to this culture, as I would expect that any foreigner will do the same in my home country.

Nobody forced me to stay in this country, so I adopt myself or move out, simple as that.

This is not meaning that I'm in total agreement with all the things going on here, but I should never forget that I'm a guest in this country. OK I contribute a lot of money here, but so is an hotel guest, he will be never allowed to take over the hotel and change the rules. The only option he have is to move to another hotel or go back home.

PS: the great so called American melting pot is an hoax, but TV is not the place to discus this in detail.

In my language they have an saying, multiculturalism= multicul(multi bull......)

My opinion is based by experience 25 years the benefits in a so called multicultural neighbourhood(one of the reasons why I moved to Thailand)

But when you have an massive import of millions with total different values and background who refuse and even reject the values of the leadig culture and political and religious system, you will have great problems because they just don't mingle in the society but contrary they try to enforce their values upon the leading culture and change the rules in their benefit and values.

Errrrr, as I have pointed out a couple of times, earlier, multi-culturalism is not only natural, it is inevitable. We came from common ancestorss, but have migrated, mixed, migrated again...........do you really want to stop the clock, and to say that the only acceptable cultures are the ones that exist now? And that they should never, ever change?

Sorry mate. In Australia, we call that "pissing against the wind".

PS: the great so called American melting pot is an hoax, but TV is not the place to discus this in detail.

Oooh, come on. Tell us your conspiracy theory.

I grew up with friends of all races. When it works nobody even notices, as is the case most of the time in the UK.

When there are problems, which inevitably there will be from time to time, simple minded xenephobes jump up and down and get all excited. Ignore them and they go away after a while.

I grew up with friends of all races. When it works nobody even notices, as is the case most of the time in the UK.

When there are problems, which inevitably there will be from time to time, simple minded xenephobes jump up and down and get all excited. Ignore them and they go away after a while.

Wot he said...

One might do some prime research and deeper investigations regarding the contributions and influence of ancient African civilisations {among other varied ancient societies} towards humankind and world civilisations before embarrassing yourself with blatant ignorance and illusional exceptionalism.

Well after living in the US (california) for 12 years I can attest to the fact that multiculturalism appears to be a failure here. The U.S. was originally designed to be a melting pot where everyone would become "American" first and speak a common language. There are many Latinos here who simply don't want to make the effort to learn english and reside in Spanish speaking communities. They also pledge allegiance to Mexico first and the U.S. second. In fact when the Mexican national soccer team played the U.S. at the Colisseum most Latinos were cheering for the Mexican team and urine bags, bottles, etc. were thrown at the U.S. team. Rather ironic how people leave their country because it is not desirable to stay then support it instead of the country that has brought them opportunity and rights. This is true for many other minorities. Not taking a swipe at anyone just the facts.

Latinos alone representing most of the multiculturalism in U.S.?

The supreme irony is that humankind originated in Africa, and people migrated gradually to all corners of the globe. Without migration none of us would be living in the countries where we are now, outside Africa.

And without cultural adaption and change (at times including huge amounts of what we now call multi-culturalism) we would all be the same. Boring, wouldn't it be?

An update on your 'Out of Africa' theories - found recently, was the oldest human/hominid remains. Burma.

I'd be interested to read that...do you have a link, please?

Sorry, I don't mate. Caught it about a month ago on another forum. Real and legitimate scientific news story. Amazing that it didn't get much coverage, as it has set {or reset} the social science world on it's heels. I suppose one could do an intensive search and find it.

ere yer go:

ScienceDaily (July 1, 2009) — A new fossil primate from Myanmar (previously known as Burma) suggests that the common ancestor of humans, monkeys and apes evolved from primates in Asia, not Africa as many researchers believe...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...90630202125.htm

Sorry, haven't read all the posts, but maybe the question should be "Is a country good for multiculturalism?" (I won't go into definitions of multiculturalism.)

The world is multi-lingual, polyethnic, multi-racial etc and managed to group itself reasonably well until the effects of dynastic expansion, the Reformation, European wars, emigration and colonialism created the Nation State and revised boundaries to split ethnic groups and locate old enemies within the one political entity.

These states may seem fait accompli now, but they clearly are not, as we've seen in the continuing break-up of the Russian Empire/Soviet state and Yugoslavia. Timor Leste emerged from Portuguese and then Indonesian colonialism. Who knows what will be the eventual outcome in the Israel-Palestine region?

Re multiculturalism within one's own country, I don't think it works too badly in Australia. It was challenged by Pauline Hanson and her supporters in the 90s, but they appeared to have only about 10% of the population behind them. It's under the microscope at the moment because of incidents affecting Indian students, but they are not of the nature to be endemic.

The rancour about ethnic rights etc was pretty much put to rest in Australia in 1989 when a bipartisan statement on multiculturalism in Australia acknowledged the needs of language minorities, affirmed religious equality and boosted funding for community-based welfare programs, but equally affirmed the priority of English as the national language and the political and legal institutions established in Australia by Great Britain. There wasn't a lot of argument after that: people of different backgrounds generally agreed. I used to work in the field of support to immigrants and these are my memories.

Errrrr, as I have pointed out a couple of times, earlier, multi-culturalism is not only natural, it is inevitable. We came from common ancestorss, but have migrated, mixed, migrated again...........do you really want to stop the clock, and to say that the only acceptable cultures are the ones that exist now? And that they should never, ever change?

Sorry mate. In Australia, we call that "pissing against the wind".

You are mixing up thinghs. A society and culture will always undergoing changes, has nothing to do with multiculturalism.

A good example of the hoax is the Simpson trial where a part of the population, despite all evidence protected a killer. And if you are familiar with the American society you would know that each etnic group have ther on sub culture and that intersocial relations between the different etnic groups are almost non existant, they even live in their own parts of town. This is BTW the same in Europe;

BTW what have been the benefits for the native Americans and Australians of the so called multiculturalism?

BTW what have been the benefits for the native Americans and Australians of the so called multiculturalism?

I think Aboriginal Australians have benefited from multiculturalism. Having said that, they are still suffering the effects of European settlement. They, indeed, are not always welcoming of new waves of immigrants, but their own situation has improved in the last 37 years since the Australian government endorsed multicultural policies. There's still a long way to go, but there's much more goodwill towards Aboriginal people than there was 40 years ago.

Henryalleyman: "..BTW what have been the benefits for the native Americans and Australians of the so called multiculturalism? ..."

Wool blankets, iron axeheads, steel knives, metal cooking pots, glass beads......

But also: Science. Education. Medicine. Philosopy....

I think multi culturism is great but believe it all has to do with comfort I live in Aussie with my Thai wife and 90% of her friends are Thai they eat together go shopping together I still believe it has got to do with feeling comfortable.

I anything I do alot of sacrificing which does not bother me it is a huge change for your wife or gf to travel half way around the world to be with you .

I suppose maybe we are multi cultural because all the husbands seem to get along with each other when we have the big social occassions once or twice a week lol :)

My Dad is a Pacific Islander, my mum, a blue-eyed blonde Aussie; Getting married in Sydney in the early 1960's must have been quite brave of them. There was not alot of mixed race marriages back in those days.....racial tensions in the US were peaking.

Then growing up in Fiji, then New Zealand, both countries being multi-cultural....I am the product of multiculturalism, therefore a champion of it.

Xenophobics will always stymie multiculturalism, and there is no swaying the xenophobics. Xenophobes, by definition, are afraid of differences and are narrow minded, thus they will never listen to reason.

Therefore, to consider whether multiculturalism is a good thing, perhaps we need to look at all the reasons that the xenophobes would cite against it.......

:):D:D ......

What's a xenophobic Harcourt? Do you mean somebody who loves their country and believes that anybody who comes to live in their country should integrate? Australia has the right idea, "Integrate and adopt our ways or fuc_k off back to where you came from"

Brigante7.

My Dad is a Pacific Islander, my mum, a blue-eyed blonde Aussie; Getting married in Sydney in the early 1960's must have been quite brave of them. There was not alot of mixed race marriages back in those days.....racial tensions in the US were peaking.

Then growing up in Fiji, then New Zealand, both countries being multi-cultural....I am the product of multiculturalism, therefore a champion of it.

Xenophobics will always stymie multiculturalism, and there is no swaying the xenophobics. Xenophobes, by definition, are afraid of differences and are narrow minded, thus they will never listen to reason.

Therefore, to consider whether multiculturalism is a good thing, perhaps we need to look at all the reasons that the xenophobes would cite against it.......

What's a xenophobic Harcourt? Do you mean somebody who loves their country and believes that anybody who comes to live in their country should integrate? Australia has the right idea, "Integrate and adopt our ways or fuc_k off back to where you came from"

Brigante7.

Is that the 'White Australia' policy?

"Australia has the right idea, "Integrate and adopt our ways or fuc_k off back to where you came from"

Whose ways? Presumably you're willing to fuc_k off back off to the UK and to leave the original inhabitants of Australia the land that they live in?

Brigante7.

"Australia has the right idea, "Integrate and adopt our ways or fuc_k off back to where you came from"

Whose ways? Presumably you're willing to fuc_k off back off to the UK and to leave the original inhabitants of Australia the land that they live in?

I am in the UK so I can't fuc_k off back to anywhere, sorry, but when I move to Thailand I will do my best to integrate in to the Thai way of life and respect their customs.

Brigante7.

Brigante7.

You are a Pauline Hanson devotee, a BNP supporter, or a white supremecist by the sound of it....whatever, you have the attitude of a frightened, poorly educated bigot.

I don't equate xenophobia with patriotism.

I do equate it with narrow-minded insecurity and bigotry.

I think I have made it clear that I believe immigrants should integrate with their adopted country: Xenophobia is found amongst the immigrants too.

Brigante7.

I am in the UK so I can't fuc_k off back to anywhere, sorry, but when I move to Thailand I will do my best to integrate in to the Thai way of life and respect their customs.

Brigante7.

If you're in the UK perhaps you ought to stop making sweeping generalisations about countries that you have no intention of living in?

multi culturism is a joke

every country that has muslim, has problems

my home country, all neighbour countries of that

and... guess what... Thailand also...

who plants bombs and kills innocent people all the time, all over the world ???

not christian, not buddist, not jews, ...

Hahahahaha. I can only laugh at the ignorance. The bigotry is just plain sad.

Firstly, have you never heard of the Irish Republican Army? The Jewish Action Group and various others? Various Buddhist militant groups?

Secondly, there is a very strong argument to say that many of the Muslims you talk about planting bombs etc are only REACTING to whatever group attacked them first.

It's your kind of narrow-mindedness that perpetuates racial and religious conflicts.

Go and gather some knowledge, get yourself educated.

MC is great for a country - the diversity of thought and approach can lead to intelligent solutions of problems.

Australia is a country of migrants, our aborigines would have preferred that there had been no migrants.

The first white settlers had a policy of excluding people of colour (any colour including white ffrom the wrong country!) via the white Australia policy, then we let in Italians and Greeks.

The Italians and Greeks want Australia now to exclude the people of Asia, forgetting that one of Australia's most famous cooks, Kylie Kwong, is 7th generation Australian/Chinese and is thus more Aussie than they are.

The great foods, art and culture that our waves of migrants have brought with them makes Australia so special today.

When i first came to oz in the 50's there were Dagoes,Poms,Chinks,<deleted>,Slopes, Abbos and so on !

Now we rarely come across these people, we have all grown together to one nation. I think that its a generation problem.

The 'Oldies' keep it going but as the kids go to school and grow up together and never even consider that they come from different ethnic backgrounds. We just don't have a problem here anymore except for down south ( i am a Queenslander) where there is a large population of Middle Eastern Muslim youths who occaisionally get unruly.

Yes we are a truely MC nation and believe me, its a benifit to us all.

From time to time the foreign media try to blow things up but they mostly don't live here and tend to think of things from the respective of their own culture. Something like the Thai thinking.

I have done a mini survey of my area which is Caboolture just north of Brisbane and find that i have neighbours from 16 different ethnic origins in close proximity, we all live happily together.............No problems mate ! as we all say.

Firstly, have you never heard of the Irish Republican Army? The Jewish Action Group and various others? Various Buddhist militant groups?

Lets ignore the clear evidence shall we. The IRA were attacking the British, the Jews may have had active terrorists in the past but can you name an attack of theirs in the recent past, and I don't think Buddhist militant groups are even worth mentioning. In contrast the other group that you compared them to seem to indulge in violence right across the world aimed at no particular target. And in reality when we discuss if multiculturalism is good for a country most people think of the detrimental impact of this particular group on the country's that suffer home them.

Lets ignore the clear evidence shall we. The IRA were attacking the British, the Jews may have had active terrorists in the past but can you name an attack of theirs in the recent past, and I don't think Buddhist militant groups are even worth mentioning. In contrast the other group that you compared them to seem to indulge in violence right across the world aimed at no particular target. And in reality when we discuss if multiculturalism is good for a country most people think of the detrimental impact of this particular group on the country's that suffer home them.

Ignore inconsequential evidence, for sure. Why ignore the pertinant facts? I was not arguing for MC, I was pointing out to that ignorant poster that Muslims ARE NOT the only religion-based group to terrorise, as he/she asserted.

By your last sentence you have shown your world view by generalising that "most people" thinking about MC will think of Muslims and the harm the militants amongst them have wreaked. You're entitled to your view. It stands to reason that many people would have considered this when they contemplate the topic of MC..I suggest you are wrong in implying that Islamist militants is the main motivator of everyone that is anti-MC.....But I'll stand to be corrected on that detail.