Load Balance Tactio Altera-lb121

kmufti

i368135_55422101247923675.jpg

i368136_2.jpg

Information:

Load-Balance with 2 WAN,ADSL/Cable modem

WAN port healthy check

Dial on demand & Auto-Disconnection (PPPoE)

protocol Bandwidth Usage allocate

QoS (User Bandwidth Usage allocate)

H.323 VoIP ALG include

WAN link scheduling

System data monitor

Multiple NAT/PAT with Virtual Server Mapping

Multiple DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) Host

Firewall (DoS, Packet filtering)

VPN pass through (IPSEC/PPTP)

System Timer

MAC address clone

Dynamic DNS

DHCP server/client

NAT pass-through supported - messenger,Real Audio, CuSeeMe M

Mail alert

System Log

Remote configure through Internet

Built in reset switch

Firmware upgradeable

Product Detail in pdf : PDF File

What exactly this device does? Load balancing? Can we put 2 adsl connection in it and get double speed? say one from ToT n other from Maxnet, or both from eithre Tot or Maxnet.

I don’t know much about it, some kind comments please.

cheers..

kami

This device indeed can double your speed in certain situations.

More importantly it also doubles reliability, since when 1 line goes down, your traffic will automatically goes to the other line.

For the speed increase to be the highest, both connections have to be of roughly the same speed. A 256 kbps line coupled with a 3 Mbps line will generally result in slower speeds then using the 3 Mbps alone!

Just think of a webpage to exist of several separate downloads. For example there might be 3 pictures on it, some advertising banners and of course you have the underlying html to make everything display properly.

The load balancing router will use both adsl lines on a round robin protocol, so picture number 1 will get downloaded through adsl line nr.1 and picture 2 through adsl line nr.2. Picture nr. 3 will again go through adsl line nr 1 and so on...

So if by chance picture number 1 is very big and it gets assigned to the slow adsl line, while the much smaller picture is assigned to the fast adsl line, results in slow loading...

You also have some added problems, where some websites do not work when their servers see connections coming in from two different ISP's simultaniously. Banking websites and security sensitive websites spring to mind. The router will have to be taught that for those websites only 1 adsl line can be used...

I prefer to use the Linksys RV042 which is by far the most reliable in my experience.

Linksys RV042: At a Glance

Linksys RV042, formerly Linksys Business Series, now part of the Cisco Small Business Routers product line, is an advanced network router for small businesses. The Linksys RV042 helps your company stay connected to the Internet, even if your primary Internet provider's service goes down. The router also securely extends your full network to up to 50 offsite users.

The following is a brief overview of the Linksys RV042.

Linksys RV042 Features & Benefits

• Cuts networking costs by letting you share an Internet connection among multiple computers.
  • Ensures your Internet service never goes down. Dual Internet ports on the Linksys RV042 enable you to connect to a second Internet source as a backup to your primary Internet provider's service.
  • Boosts network performance. You can connect the Linksys RV042 dual Internet ports to the same Internet source. The router will balance traffic between the two ports for maximum network performance and efficiency.
  • Securely connects up to 50 remote office/mobile users simultaneously to your network. The Linksys RV042's Virtual Private Network (VPN) capability supports up to 50 IPSec tunnels for branch office connectivity and up to 50 QuickVPN connections for mobile access to your network.
  • Connects up to four computers via Ethernet cable (using the router's built-in, 4-port, full-duplex 10/100 Ethernet switch). Direct connections give computers maximum network security and up to 200 Mbps throughput per port. Alternatively, you can connect additional network hubs and switches to the Linksys RV042's ports, expanding your network as needed.
  • Protects computers against intruders and most known Internet attacks via a powerful Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall.
  • Easily configurable security settings. Using a web browser-based interface, you can configure the router to filter internal users' access to the Internet; specify exactly who may have access to your network; and more.

Cisco Small Business Routers

As part of the Cisco Small Business Routers product line, the Linksys RV042 is now known as the Cisco RV042 VPN Router.

Small businesses interested in advanced routers might also consider the Linksys RV082, now called the Cisco RV082 VPN Router. The Cisco RV082 offers the same core functionality as the Cisco RV042, with additional features that support more demanding network environments. For example, the RV082 supports up to eight wired and 100 VPN connections compared to the RV042's four wired and 50 VPN connections.

from the look of it the 2 WAN ports are rj45 which means you also need to purchase 2 ADSL modems to connect to a rj11 phone jack.

this same usage can be done with a wrt54gl running openwrt using one of the LAN ports as a WAN - but not straightforward for inexperienced users.

For the speed increase to be the highest, both connections have to be of roughly the same speed. A 256 kbps line coupled with a 3 Mbps line will generally result in slower speeds then using the 3 Mbps alone!

Just think of a webpage to exist of several separate downloads. For example there might be 3 pictures on it, some advertising banners and of course you have the underlying html to make everything display properly.

The load balancing router will use both adsl lines on a round robin protocol, so picture number 1 will get downloaded through adsl line nr.1 and picture 2 through adsl line nr.2. Picture nr. 3 will again go through adsl line nr 1 and so on...

So if by chance picture number 1 is very big and it gets assigned to the slow adsl line, while the much smaller picture is assigned to the fast adsl line, results in slow loading...

This is not entirely true. I do not know about this specific router, but most modern multi-WAN routers allow 'weighted round-robin' balancing. This mean you can specify a relationship between your connections, so one will load more than the other if it is faster.

You also have some added problems, where some websites do not work when their servers see connections coming in from two different ISP's simultaniously. Banking websites and security sensitive websites spring to mind. The router will have to be taught that for those websites only 1 adsl line can be used...

Pretty must all of them will use 'sticky' connections on https (port 443), which mean that all traffic on destined for that port will only use one of the connections. You just have to tell it which one you prefer.

Their claim to support DMZ is BS imo. There is no way you can have 'real' DMZ on just one internal interface. In order to have a true DMZ the LAN and DMZ have to be on two different interfaces.

• 3 months later...

Monty, Are you using the Tactio yourself?

I consider buying one, but would like to get some user experiences if possible.

This device indeed can double your speed in certain situations.

More importantly it also doubles reliability, since when 1 line goes down, your traffic will automatically goes to the other line.

I prefer to use the Linksys RV042 which is by far the most reliable in my experience.

You can connect the Linksys RV042 dual Internet ports to the same Internet source. The router will balance traffic between the two ports for maximum network performance and efficiency.

i'd like to have the same setup as the OP requires, i.e. combining my existing TOT and Maxnet (now 3bb) lines with a load balancer. the RV042 is obviously not meant to handle two different providers.

or do i miss something? :)

the RV042 is obviously not meant to handle two different providers.

You missed something. It works with any Thai adsl provider, no matter who they are it is all how you set it up as the attached image shows.

post-63721-1259112356_thumb.jpg

Monty, Are you using the Tactio yourself?

I consider buying one, but would like to get some user experiences if possible.

No I don't. At one point I was using a self-made load balancing router which did virtually the same. This was at a time where I could only get 256 kbps connections at my place, so I had 2 of them to speed things a bit along. Now I have a 4 Mbps, so no real need for the extra speed anymore.

If you're adventerous and know your way around fiddling with PC's, take a look at Pfsense (just google).

Otherwise buy one of the existing ones, you have peplink, and the ones described above which will do what you need as well.

i'd like to have the same setup as the OP requires, i.e. combining my existing TOT and Maxnet (now 3bb) lines with a load balancer. the RV042 is obviously not meant to handle two different providers.

You can use two different providers. The device has two WAN ports which are regular network ports. Thos two ports get their internet from two reguslar ADSL modems, one for each ISP.

You can use two different providers. The device has two WAN ports which are regular network ports. Thos two ports get their internet from two reguslar ADSL modems, one for each ISP.

thanks Monty, that's a clear answer. my only problem is now where to buy it in Pattaya.

edited and deleted a stupid question because i did not read your last sentence :D

Edited by Naam

-went to Wattana, Pattaya Klang

-load balancer?

-no have

-may i speak to somebody who speaks english

-yes, may i help you

-Cisco RV042, would you please check with BKK?

-i can check in computer.............

-sorry, no stock

-wait a minute... try Linksys

-yes, i can order from BKK, price 5,900 Baht including tax. you can collect tomorrow afternoon.

:)

^ I have a RV042 + 2 x AM800 ADSL modems (all Linksys/Cisco) I don't use anymore, PM me if you're interested.

too late Phil. i ordered the RV042 and i have the modems already since quite some time. my modem/routers are D-Link and not LinkSys as i posted.