Stunner: Schumacher Returning To Ferrari In F1 - 40 Years Old

Stunner: Schumacher returning to Ferrari!

July 29, 3:26 PM - Terrence Connolly - Formula One Examiner

In an absolute stunning announcement, seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher has confirmed he is returning to Ferrari to replace injured Felipe Massa!

post-13995-1248900007_thumb.jpg

Ferrari Loyal

"The most important thing first: Thank God, all news concerning Felipe is positive,” said Schumacher. “I wish him all the best again. I was meeting this afternoon with (Ferrari team principal) Stefano Domenicali and (chairman) Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe."

“Though it is true that the Formula One chapter has been completely closed for me for a long time, it is also true that for reasons of loyalty to the team I cannot ignore this unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am I also very much look forward to facing this.”

Ferrari also confirmed the shocking move, made necessary by the unfortunate incident in Saturday's qualifying, when Ferrari driver Felipe Massa was seriously injured by flying debris.

"Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian driver will be able to race again," said the Ferrari statement.

"Michael Schumacher said he is ready and, over the next few days, will undertake a specific training programme at the end of which confirmation will be given of his participation in the championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August."Former Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher of Germany and his manager Willi Weber of Germany, left, walk through the paddock at the Nuerburgring, Germany, during the practice session on Saturday, July 11, 2009. The season's 9th race, the German Grand Prix, will be held here Sunday July 12, 2009. (AP Photo/Eckehard Schulz)

As I write this, I am just floored. I just never thought that this Ferrari fan dream-like scenario would ever actually come true! Defying his manager's statements-

-the walking racing legend that is Michael Schumacher is returning to Formula One!

I just never ever thought I would be able to type those words, and it is exhilarating!

What is even more exciting to contemplate now is all the delicious scenarios F1 fans will now get to enjoy...Who ever thought we would get to see sensational McLaren World Champ Lewis Hamilton racing for real against Michael!...How about Kimi and Schumi united as a team with the Scuderia?....And all the scenarios with Brawn! Michael vs his former lead Engineer and master strategist Ross Brawn...and also against his former Ferrari team mate Rubens Barrichello!...aww the possibilities for drama and intrigue have just rocketed out of the stratosphere with the KERS powered boost of a slingshot Ferrari!

In the immortal words of noted car enthusiast Flounder from Animal House:

This is going to be GREAT!

http://www.examiner.com/x-6666-Formula-One...ning-to-Ferrari

see also:

Ferrari planning to substitute Schumacher for Massa

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9703.html

and also:

Schumacher to make F1 return

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5460392,00.html

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I'm surprised he still has a super licence.

Somehow I suspect he'll have no trouble getting a super licence - the FIA must be wetting themselves at the thought of all the extra ticket sales!

GREAT NEWS!! I'm unbelievably happy and excited - but soooo long to wait for Valencia!

Good news for Massa too - Schumi is clearly a temporary replacement so he doesn't have to worry about another driver taking his seat.

I don't expect much from Valencia as Schumi will be getting used to the car and F1 racing again (plus its a boring track), but future races should be v exciting indeed! Can't wait!!! :)

I'm not convinced Massa will ever be fit enough. Sevvy made a "full" recovery, but he can't play golf. His binocular vision is impaired and he can't hit the drive shots.

Too early to know yet as you say, but fingers crossed that he is able to return. I would dearly love to see him win a WDC as he seems to be such a lovely guy and came soooo close last year. I don't think he is a 'great', but he performs well enough and it would be a terrible shame for him to have to leave F1 this way.

Interesting.

Maybe Schumacher does not have any hobbies and is bored with his life.

TheWalkingMan

He's clearly never lost the 'racing' instinct as he races motorbikes nowadays!

I'm sure he missed the racing part of F1, if not the politics, PR and hard work involved!

yes!! After watch the Brawn/Button show during the first half of this year i thought boring, but now it looks interesting with the recent win from Weber and Hamilton, with Alonso unlucky in the last, and now Schui coming back!!

CAN SCHUMACHER RESTORE F1'S GLORY DAYS OF UTTER TEDIUM?

MICHAEL Schumacher's return to Formula One could re-establish the sport's reputation as a seemingly unending spectacle of utter dreariness, it was claimed last night.

Schumacher is a fierce competitor and master tactician who... oh for fuc_k's sake, who cares?The sport has changed dramatically since Schumacher's retirement in 2006 with the emergence of at least two other people who are able to point the car in the right direction most of the time.

The German, who won 91 races without doing anything remotely interesting, said: "I hope the car performs well and I can perform well for the team. It's a big challenge but I will do my best for the fans. How tedious was that?"

Schumacher said he had been dismayed by recent events in Formula 1, adding: "Max Mosely being thrashed by women dressed in my nation's garb of shame, a black man winning the title, Jensen Button not coming last - when will this vaguely interesting madness end?"

Despite his unparalleled success, Schumacher remains so boring that he has recently been forced to write 'you are Michael Schumacher' on his bathroom mirror in a bid to remind him who he is.

He insisted: "No more overtaking, no more surprises, no victorious underdogs. Just a procession of tax-avoiding millionaires following each other around the track in the precise order they set off."

The safety of F1 has been questioned following Schumacher’s return with many drivers concerned that being in a race with the German could be so boring they fall asleep at the wheel.

Britain's Lewis Hamilton said: "But then again, seeing lots of boredom-induced crashes would actually be quite interesting. That Bernie Ecclestone's a clever bastard."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index.php?op...8&Itemid=26

CAN SCHUMACHER RESTORE F1'S GLORY DAYS OF UTTER TEDIUM?

MICHAEL Schumacher's return to Formula One could re-establish the sport's reputation as a seemingly unending spectacle of utter dreariness, it was claimed last night.

Schumacher is a fierce competitor and master tactician who... oh for fuc_k's sake, who cares?The sport has changed dramatically since Schumacher's retirement in 2006 with the emergence of at least two other people who are able to point the car in the right direction most of the time.

The German, who won 91 races without doing anything remotely interesting, said: "I hope the car performs well and I can perform well for the team. It's a big challenge but I will do my best for the fans. How tedious was that?"

Schumacher said he had been dismayed by recent events in Formula 1, adding: "Max Mosely being thrashed by women dressed in my nation's garb of shame, a black man winning the title, Jensen Button not coming last - when will this vaguely interesting madness end?"

Despite his unparalleled success, Schumacher remains so boring that he has recently been forced to write 'you are Michael Schumacher' on his bathroom mirror in a bid to remind him who he is.

He insisted: "No more overtaking, no more surprises, no victorious underdogs. Just a procession of tax-avoiding millionaires following each other around the track in the precise order they set off."

The safety of F1 has been questioned following Schumacher's return with many drivers concerned that being in a race with the German could be so boring they fall asleep at the wheel.

Britain's Lewis Hamilton said: "But then again, seeing lots of boredom-induced crashes would actually be quite interesting. That Bernie Ecclestone's a clever bastard."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index.php?op...8&Itemid=26

Gosh, that was so funny. Or at least it would have been if 99.9% of F1 fans weren't unbelievably excited at Schumi returning. :)

Schumi may put his rivals to shame or fail, but I'm pretty sure it won't be boring! :D

I would'nt mind betting the next race will be at maximum spectator count at the track, and worldwide TV audience will be the biggest ever for F1.

I'm sure fitness won't be a problem, despite his recent m/c prang. I reckon he's already at near top level, probably more than some present drivers, including Webber. And in this case, 40 is neither here or there.

A couple of months ago, he took last years car for a run around the test track and came up to speed on the 2nd lap.

Depending on his start position, my only concern is he may get shunted off on the first corner.

Or should that be the other way round!

My biggest wish for this year still remains;

Assuming he can control the red mist, I hope Reubens will win at least one race.

My biggest wish for this year still remains;

Assuming he can control the red mist, I hope Reubens will win at least one race.

Why? He doesn't deserve it. He's been second best to Jenson and he's blamed everyone but himself for that.

Ferrari have requested that Schumi be allowed a one day practice in the F60. Testing of the car is obviously banned under the new rules.

Personally I'd prefer that the teams or FIA say "no", as it gives those who dislike Schumi the opportunity to complain, but... all the FOTA teams have agreed and have no problem with this (no news yet on the 2 non-FOTA teams or the FIA, as far as I know).

What I find fascinating is that some fans on the forums think this is cheating (even though the other teams are happy with the idea) and should not be allowed. The argument is (amongst the dissenting fans) that Alguersuari came in with no practice in the STR team. But then again, STR never requested that he be allowed a one day practice! They may have a point, but even so.......

How frightened are the fans of other drivers that Schumi will embarrass their favourite driver?! :D We're talking about a man who has not raced in two and a half years, is a lot older and, undeniably past his prime in F1 terms. All the other drivers (other than Alguersuari - who, lets be honest, never mind how much practice he could have had is no threat to anyone in the STR) have been racing all season. One day of practice in the current race car (I would have thought), would hardly put Schumi on a level playing field anyway! :)

I find it wonderfully funny that so many fans of other drivers are even now scared enough of Schumi that they are terrified of him being allowed one day of practice in the current car.

^^ Think you might be mistaking dislike for fear.

Neither the other drivers or the fans of those drivers have anything to lose by Schumi's return. No one disputes that he's the greatest of his generation so if he turns up and does well or even beats the new boys i don't think they'll be great disgrace. On the other hand, should he do badly or should he be convincingly beat by the new boys, well then he looks like a sorry spent force who's past his prime. I think Schumi and his fans are the ones who have most to fear.

For the other drivers and fans, they just want to see him treated no differently from any other driver would be. There's no place for sentimentality in sports and were he be given preferential treatment because of who he was or because of the team he was driving for, then that would be wrong, wouldn't it?

Edited by rixalex

^^ Think you might be mistaking dislike for fear.

Neither the other drivers or the fans of those drivers have anything to lose by Schumi's return. No one disputes that he's the greatest of his generation so if he turns up and does well or even beats the new boys i don't think they'll be great disgrace. On the other hand, should he do badly or should he be convincingly beat by the new boys, well then he looks like a sorry spent force who's past his prime. I think Schumi and his fans are the ones who have most to fear.

For the other drivers and fans, they just want to see him treated no differently from any other driver would be. There's no place for sentimentality in sports and were he be given preferential treatment because of who he was or because of the team he was driving for, then that would be wrong, wouldn't it?

For the reasons I outlined above, I disagree. It's not dislike, it can only be fear.

The other drivers and teams are happy to see him given one day in practice in the current car. Its only the fans of other drivers (not the drivers themselves - who desperately want as close to a level playing field as possible when racing with the 'legend') who disagree.

Why are they so worried? Schumi fans aren't worried - we've no doubt he will perform extemely well, regardless of whether he's given a day in the F60 or not. He may or may not out-perform Kimi, if he doesn't - he shouldn't - he's past his prime and hasn't been racing for two and a half years! If he doesn't out-perform Lewis, Vettel etc. - the same argument applies!

Fear only comes into it for those who have something to lose, Schumi doesn't!

Edited by F1fanatic

Err, yes he does - it's called his legacy.

Of course he'll always be a great driver and nobody can take that from him, but the last thing any successful sportsperson is to be seen as a loser. They want to leave the sport with dignity and preferably at the top of their game, not as some old has-been desperately trying to keep up with the new talent.

BTW and FTR - i don't think that will happen - but it is the risk he takes.

Err, yes he does - it's called his legacy.

Of course he'll always be a great driver and nobody can take that from him, but the last thing any successful sportsperson is to be seen as a loser. They want to leave the sport with dignity and preferably at the top of their game, not as some old has-been desperately trying to keep up with the new talent.

BTW and FTR - i don't think that will happen - but it is the risk he takes.

Normally I agree with you, but this time I don't...sorry...

Whatever happens, with his past drives he will never be seen as a loser.

Which is why I raised the point about why the fans of other drivers are so frightened.

Fortunately for us Schumi fans, he really has nothing to lose unless he's truly dreadful, which somehow I doubt will happen. :)

Normally I agree with you, but this time I don't...sorry...

Well i always respect your opinion F1fanatic but i think we can safely say that on the subject of Mr Schumacher we'll always be poles apart!

Fortunately for us Schumi fans, he really has nothing to lose unless he's truly dreadful, which somehow I doubt will happen. :)

Contradicting yourself a bit here. "Nothing to lose unless he's dreadful"??? So then he does have something to lose.

I guess he will do fine and show the younger pups a thing or two. Sure our reflexes get duller and slower as we age...but that is us, not him. He is as fit as a human can get. He is also quick on a bike--bar the odd slide down the track!! Now that is where you need reflexes like lightening....far faster than a car.

I was never a keen fan of his because he was too clinical, unemotional and not a fun guy--say like Rossi. I ghave up F1 years ago and salute the day I watched MotoGP instead.

I gave up F1 years ago and salute the day I watched MotoGP instead.

As a racing spectacle you are right, MotoGP is leaps and bounds ahead. I love to watch both. Although F1 lacks the cat and mouse dog-fights (if that's not mixing my metaphors!), it does still get my heart racing when the lights change to green in a way that MotoGP never does. Perhaps it's something to do with all the history connected to F1, plus the glitz and glamour.

As a racing spectacle you are right, MotoGP is leaps and bounds ahead. I love to watch both. Although F1 lacks the cat and mouse dog-fights (if that's not mixing my metaphors!), it does still get my heart racing when the lights change to green in a way that MotoGP never does. Perhaps it's something to do with all the history connected to F1, plus the glitz and glamour.

For sure Rix....unless you ride a bike fast you can have no idea of the skill involved in going around a track at 330kph. (I could only get 270 out of my Aprillia in Jerez) What is a small mistake in a car is a major no no on a bike. Power on in a car out of a coprner and the wheels spin and you spin. Do this on a bike and you are flying through the air without a parachute.

Rossi tried out in F! and found the cornering speed of the car hard to get his head around...but he did incredibly well.

Schumacher is still on bikes and finds the braking and trottle control difficult.

Yep...for sure Moto GP does it for me any day.

For sure Rix....unless you ride a bike fast you can have no idea of the skill involved in going around a track at 330kph. (I could only get 270 out of my Aprillia in Jerez) What is a small mistake in a car is a major no no on a bike. Power on in a car out of a coprner and the wheels spin and you spin. Do this on a bike and you are flying through the air without a parachute.

Rossi tried out in F! and found the cornering speed of the car hard to get his head around...but he did incredibly well.

Schumacher is still on bikes and finds the braking and trottle control difficult.

Yep...for sure Moto GP does it for me any day.

If we are talking in terms of the skills required Clarkey, i absolutely agree that motorcycle racing is the harder of the two. I think this has been proven by the fact that motorcycle racers make the transition to car racing more successfully than vice-versa.

John Surtees. I need say no more.

(so sorry for the loss the family recently suffered)

For the 4 wheel nip and tuck stuff, I do miss the Saloon Car races that were on the British BBC/ITV sports programmes at the weekends. Isn't Ralf acting as a mobile roadblock in that type of race now instead of F1?

Edited by Mosha