Is It Tough In Thailand For A Sports Fan

BobMarleyWannabe

There is one thing I do in the states religously every Saturday and Sunday, stay glued to the TV and watch college and Pro football. A couple years ago I was in Samuii during the college bowl games, and was able to pick up the Rose Bowl on one of the stations, I think at about 2 or 3 AM in the morning, but that was the only bowl game I was able to find. I think I was also able to pick up one Pro game to my memory. My question is what are my options in satellite or cable TV when living in Thailand long term, I plan to stay during this time in Koh Chang but may also be in Khon Kaen, I would dread to think that this is one of the sacrifices I would have to give up if I stay in Thailand long term. Giving up on college basketball will be tough but baseball and pro basketball, not such a big deal.

It's tough if you are a North American who loves sports but lives in Thailand for the winter. There's no hockey, no Canadian or American football and very little basketball. It's okay if you are a Brit or an Aussie who likes never ending, non-stop soccer with a little mix of cricket and rugby.

Oh, and there's also "darts". Is darts a sport? I find sex more physically demanding and certainly more fun.

There are plenty of sports for Americans to watch in Thailand. Most of which you have stated. I have UBC and they cover most of the sports progs you desire including (this year ice hockey which they took off screen about 6 yrs ago).

To Ian Forbes which channel system do you get darts from.

It's tough if you are a North American who loves sports but lives in Thailand for the winter. There's no hockey, no Canadian or American football and very little basketball. It's okay if you are a Brit or an Aussie who likes never ending, non-stop soccer with a little mix of cricket and rugby.

Oh, and there's also "darts". Is darts a sport? I find sex more physically demanding and certainly more fun.

What channel for darts? As for Cricket the coverage on UBC is poor, thank god for the South African channels.

Bob - ya dont wanna get into that 5 day cricket thingy - they do it for about 20/25 days solid. Drink beer & nap.

Inevitably its a draw, everybody flies home, and another crew land and they go at it all over again.

Its a slow rewind of the Boston Tea Party. I watched it once on the tube - I thought the VT had got stuck, as nothing would happen for hours on end - its an old colony thing - was never exorcised properly.

Theres plenty sport out here, couch rugby is real big with all the BG - they normally land up on top. Enjoy!!

Oh, and regular TV also.

BR>Jack

Yes, sports on TV in Thailand may not be all an American could wish for. I live in Bangkok, have UBC cable, which provides an endless vomit of soccer games, mostly old. Baseball is almost all the Yankees YES network, several games a week. Basketball has been reduced. NBA a game or two a week,a few more during playoffs, very little college BB, no March madness, a little WNBA. Less NFL than in years past. No hockey. Lots and lots of idiotic wrestling. Boxing is a bright spot, with many old bouts, and some live Pay-per-view shown for free on Sunday mornings. Golf and tennis are very well covered. The time difference can be a real problem for watching American sports live.

In Pattaya the sports viewing is far worse. Pattaya's Sophon cable TV is big on music videos, terrible for sports of any kind. I still don't understand the TV sports situation in Pattaya. Many of the bars have sports on their TVs, that are not available in hotel rooms. When I'm in Pattaya, I need to go out and sit at a bar to watch any kind of sports event. Maybe that's the idea....

Hello, the American football games are not covered much besides the Super Bowl or the occasional game on cable. You might want to look it up on the internet, but you might need to pay money to watch it on your computer. For some of us, it is well worth the cost as it is a big part of the culture in America. Cheers.

There is one thing I do in the states religously every Saturday and Sunday, stay glued to the TV and watch college and Pro football. A couple years ago I was in Samuii during the college bowl games, and was able to pick up the Rose Bowl on one of the stations, I think at about 2 or 3 AM in the morning, but that was the only bowl game I was able to find. I think I was also able to pick up one Pro game to my memory. My question is what are my options in satellite or cable TV when living in Thailand long term, I plan to stay during this time in Koh Chang but may also be in Khon Kaen, I would dread to think that this is one of the sacrifices I would have to give up if I stay in Thailand long term. Giving up on college basketball will be tough but baseball and pro basketball, not such a big deal.

Can't have everything, I guess. It's an imperfect universe.

Yes. It's also tough in Thailand if you're a theatre fan, an art fan, a film fan and a wine fan. However it's no so tough if you're a sun fan :D

You must not get out much or a troglodyte, for Thailand is wealthy regarding arts of every variety.......OH! I see. You're refering to the vacancy of Western art-related activities. Well, <deleted> me, less I forgot - only Euro-type and Eurocentric art circles are worthy and valueable. :)