Bangkok Chao Praya

Jack Jones

In my many visits to Bangkok, I've never been on the river. I'm in the city next week and want to take a tour of between 1 and 2 hours. I thought I'd take the sky train to Saphan Taksin and then jump on a boat heading north to about Thonburi.

Has anybody done something similar or have any better suggestions of where to start and finsih?

been there, done that :o

yeah - to start from that bridge is ok. alternatively from other side - eaither Baglamphoo or Wat Poh (opposite Wat Arun) - and to opposite direction towards that bridge.

try a canals trip too - can start on Ratchadamnoen Rd and go all the way to Bankapi and even more (never been further though myself)... especially I recommend speedy boat after 8 or 9 pm - instead of regular one which is only till 7pm as I remember.... it has much fewer seats and just a wooden benches - but speeds like a meteor! my bum though pained next day :D - but it was fun !

In my many visits to Bangkok, I've never been on the river. I'm in the city next week and want to take a tour of between 1 and 2 hours. I thought I'd take the sky train to Saphan Taksin and then jump on a boat heading north to about Thonburi.

Has anybody done something similar or have any better suggestions of where to start and finsih?

I have gone in opposite direction, from Baglamphoo, many times. Go at night as all the temples, bridges etc are lit up and there are lasers coming out across the river from Wat Po (might not be there all year round), much more fun! in fact try starting from Baglamlhoo pier visiting the park on the river first, this is lovely in the early evening, all the kids practising their things (dances, juggling, etc) whilst the elders have a mass aerobics session (starts at 6 with the national anthem), then jump on the ferry.

B

sounds cool ! but does public boat operate after it gets dark - or was that some special trip ?

Nope, this was the public boat. Sorry, I don't know what time they stop running. I have caught one at about eight thirty at the latest. I usually return, from wherever I've been, by meter-cab.

It is a nice way to start your evening, as after you can easily jump on the BTS to Sukhumvit, also I love the cityscape you can see of the bridge road coming from either side of station and joining up at he end of the platform to go over the river.

PS try and stand on the back of the boat for the best view, they have yellow areas painted on the floor where you are allowed to stand, these rules are often ignored and people stand wherever. Just don't get in the way of the attendant (guy with the whistle) or he will send you downstairs.

Edited by booma

Something I have always wondered about: does anybody have any idea why the Chao Phraya Express boat service shuts down around 18:30 - 19:00? One would think that there would be enough passengers to keep it busy for at least a couple hours beyond this time.

what is so cool ? stinky river, unfinished condos and dirty splashes ?

I think it's a waste of time. get some booze and have fun somewhere else made for fun.

Yes, it can get a bit smelly, but is still a good, cheap way to get to certain parts of the city (average about B8).

If you have never been on it, it is a must-do in my book. Wether you go on a ferry or some tour/dinner boat it is an enjoyable experience, you see the city from a different angle.

What would you prefer hot, smoggy, traffic jamed streets in a Tuk Tuk/ Taxi that's driver might be likely to want to rip you off at the drop of a hat, or the River with cleaner, cooler air, fixed fares, better views, more excitment (getting on and off can be a frantic manoeuvre) and where the only real gripe is the smell.

Also try getting a bus to a distant, previously unexplored part of the city. I did, asked to be told when it was my stop, wasn't, missed my stop, got put on another bus, very very lost 2 minutes later. I got a ferry back, there was no competition in my preferred chose of transport.

Something I have always wondered about: does anybody have any idea why the Chao Phraya Express boat service shuts down around 18:30 - 19:00?  One would think that there would be enough passengers to keep it busy for at least a couple hours beyond this time.

not certain but would you like to be driven around in the dark with other boats going anywhere they want with no lights and no lights at piers etc etc ?

• 1 month later...