Small To Medium Business Owners

Do you feel that things are getting better? Getting worse? Staying the same? Do you feel your business has improved , worsened or stagnated?

Its hard for me to say, we are in the tourism industry and yes, it has been low season, but its been very low and we all know the tourism industry is hurting badly. Is anyone else in another sector and how do you feel?

Also in a tourist related business right in the heart of Chaweng, Koh Samui. Very quiet this summer so far, usually kincking by now, still making a living but no great shakes and no, it's not picking up IMO. Lets hope it does.

Regards Bojo

We usually go to Central (Pattaya, Chidlom, Ladprao), The Mall (Bangkapi), etc. during the week to avoid crowds and I am sooo thankful that I don't have to run a business where I rent a storefront/selling space at 40,000-100,000+ Baht a month waking up each day X-XX,000 in the hole with virtually no customers walking in, much less buying.

:):D

Edited by Heng

I run a small business here with 15 employees dealing with customers who are mainly expats or those here with Holiday homes. The start of the year was quite tough but its picked up nicely now - I expect this year to actually be better than last year, but I think that has more to do with our progress as a company than the state of the economy. People seem to be loosening up with their purse strings now as well, we are having to chase money much less often than in recent times.

I have a packaging company here and things are still very tough as orders from car companies and other international companies are still running about 50% of same time last year. Has picked up since start of year as most companies have used up on hand stocks but new demand from consumers for most things is still low. Doubt we will see much improvement till end of year.

Problem now is that as the market reduced so every supplier cut prices to try to get share, hence we are seeing many companies fold as they run out of money. Especially made harder as most big customers are now asking for 120 days payment - so for small companies means they need to borrow from banks to support 5 months turnover.

Involved with two businesses, one tourist related (resort) and the other a construction company.

The resort is slow. Dead slow. Re-branded towards a different customer base since a few weeks (disabled people) and that one is picking up nicely. Niche market.

The construction actually is doing excellent. To me it seems lots of potential home buyers are being fed up with very high prices charged for second hand houses, or new houses built by developers, either freestanding or in housing developments.

After a little research they realize that buying a plot of land and letting a contractor put a house on as per their own specs, ends up much cheaper. Which is where my wife's business kicks in :)

Regards the tourist businesses I would say, getting better, if you compare with Apr/May/June.

However it is all relative to some extent and depends on your overheads, costs, loans if any , rent etc.

For a business with no rent to pay and low costs, it is a lengthy glitch, but one which has been looming for a few years, so not exactly a surprise.

honestly, we have been very much blessed throughout this so-called financially difficult time.

for the past two years, our son infused usd and created numerous streams, caves, ponds and large waterfalls splashing water all over certain areas.... which enticed and retained customers and by customers' own words of mouth.... created new customer-base.... His timing was just perfect.... and we are most grateful....

we are deeply in f/b and legitimate entertaining enterprise among others.... continue to have mercy on us.

we sell hydraulic seals and since one month business is full speed again. I know from two other companies here, that they work full speed again.

when people need hydraulic seals from us, they repair some hydraulic system which they need to produce something.

So at least the segment I see is running well at the moment.

I am operating a small resort which is geared for foreign tourists. This low season there are far less tourists around in Khao Lak than during the previous low season.

But since about a week or so all of a sudden there are a lot of people turning up asking about rooms. Too early to speak about a turnaround, but possibly people are becoming more confident the economical recession is bottoming out. I could also imagine that the fear for the H1N1 flu is receding a bit: after all the same story (till now) as the chicken flu a few years ago: a lot of speculation that the virus might mutate and become more dangerous, but nothing really happening.

Edited by keestha