10 Killed, 13 Injured In Road Accident In Cha- Am

george

10 killed, 13 injured in road accident in Phetchaburi

PHETCHABURI: -- A six-wheel truck carrying workers overturned here Friday morning, killing 10 of them and injuring 13 others.

The accident happened at 6:30 am on the bypass road in Cha-am district, police said.

Seven workers died at the scene and three more died at the Cha-am hospital.

Eight workers were severely injured and forwarded to the provincial hospital.

Police said the truck was transporting workers from Prachuap Khirikhan's Sam Roi Yod district to a shrimp farm in Cha-am but it lost control due a slippery road following heavy rains.

Police said the driver, identified only as Pae, fled the scene.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-31

Very sad indeed and so unnecessary. This used to happen a lot in Singapore when I lived there, mostly with imported workers, then the Singapore government banned the carrying of people in open trucks. End of the problem.

PHETCHABURI: -- A six-wheel truck carrying workers overturned here Friday morning, killing 10 of them and injuring 13 others.

The accident happened at 6:30 am on the bypass road in Cha-am district, police said.

Police said the truck was transporting workers from Prachuap Khirikhan's Sam Roi Yod district to a shrimp farm in Cha-am but it lost control due a slippery road following heavy rains.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-31

Living in Thailand for awhile now, I'm getting used to reading 'the driver...fled the scene'. With how Thia culture is in some cases with (instant gratification/pay back) retaliatory attacks on people who in actual fact in respects to the law, not unlawfully at fault. but hey this is my 2 cents

My condolances to the friends, families and victims

Edited by Garry

Yes, very sad indeed, I've always wondered why the driver seems to flee a lot of them time.People need to be made aware of how dangerous some of these vehicles are. I can see myself that these big old, overcrowded trucks are a death trap, but maybe some of these people don't have a choice, get on, or no money for the day. I love Thailand, but when a group of people here pick up the 'mob mentality, It scares the living beejesus out of me, very dranconian. Good driving, bad driving, I can see why they might flee.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-31

I feel sorry for the dead people and their families. I do understand that the driver took off, because some survivers would have killed him. Or any relatives of them. No driver's license and no future. He's got to live with that now and I'm pretty sure that a Tamboon will fix that. Of course they'll find 'Pae'...............

Very sad indeed and so unnecessary. This used to happen a lot in Singapore when I lived there, mostly with imported workers, then the Singapore government banned the carrying of people in open trucks. End of the problem.

since when did singapore government banned carrying worker in open truck? Everyday I see foreign workers being ferry around in open truck. They just had to register with LTA with how many worker they are carrying.

...it lost control due a slippery road...

Again with the "it lost control" as if these trucks, buses, and cars don't have people driving them. Untill Thai police/government start taking traffic safety serious, the body count will continue to rise. Shameful waste of life.

no driving-licence whould be my guess as to why they flee.

Nope, a driver running from an accident like a scared little girl is just a cultural thing (loss of face). Do a search on bus accidents.

I have just spent the past 3 weeks driving from BKK to Khon Kaen, through Khao Yai to Aranyaprathet to Khlong Yai (border with Cambo) to Koh Chang and now heading back to BKK. The drivers here are really bad. I am use to aggressive driving as I lived in Los Angeles and then New York City (cabbies there are terrible). But that was just aggressive driving. Here, they are just plain bad. We have seen numerous accidents and even had a few close calls. When I see people riding in the back of pickups (banned in the US), I just cringe. What a death trap....

Those people are just poor and don't have much of a choice. Employers here treat them like crap...and that is what they get paid...Poor laws and what they do have here are poorly enforced. Unless there is a potential bribe attached to it! Which I had to pay twice on this trip...just for being a farang....

Hello, this is very sad for the people that were killed and hurt as well as their families. These people were only going to try to work in an honest way to live better, and to provide for their family. I do not know the circumstance that the truck went off the road, but people need to see this to understand how their actions can cause problems in other lives. I hope the people hurt will have a good recovery in short time, and the families of those killed will be well.

...it lost control due a slippery road...

Again with the "it lost control" as if these trucks, buses, and cars don't have people driving them. Untill Thai police/government start taking traffic safety serious, the body count will continue to rise. Shameful waste of life.

Quite correct. The driver "lost control". It is easy to speculate on the circumstances, but all too often speed is the major factor.

I see open pickups every day with passengers sitting right at the back facing the cab. Anytime the driver has to stop in an emergency, these people will be hurled forward through the rear glass and be seriously injured or worse still, they die.

Common sense, when driving here or in many other countries, is often a rare thing.

People are always in a hurry, weaving in and out of traffic, in order to get ahead. It's like a competition to some and inevitably there are casualties.

My thoughts go to the survivors and the families of the dead who have probably lost their main source of income in this all too common tragedy.

they flee because you can, no law tells you to wait and like former poster said they will beat you to death if you stay. You can get your lawyer or what ever and report later.

alcohol , nearly always a factor. They run , no blood test and 48 hours later the lawyer hands him in says he panicked. standard practise world wide,sad but true

Edited by zorro1