Broken Clavicle / Collar Bone

HarriB

no capital letters,

typing with 1 hand.

second accident this year in pattaya.

4 days ago i broke my clavicle or collar bone ..left shoulder.

i got x-rays at bunglamung but they don't have a doctor or ortho there to look at them.

nurses gave me an 8 figure sling and send me home to come back in 14 days.

sounds alright but i would like to have someone else look at it.

travel is no fun right now so pattaya hospital or clinic would be best.

thanks for your help

i think memorial is quite reasonable and a good service i had to go there to get some xrays etc when i came off the bike

bkk pattaya...steer well clear..possibly my worst experience in a hospital ever & within minutes of recieiving stitches after an operation i was marched round to pay my bill lol i'm not joking it was disgusting treatment

hope u make a speedy recovery :)

thanks for your replies

i didn't mention but i was at bhp earlier this year and the ortho there

was more like a used car sales man and i ended up going to chiang mai.

now i can't travel. i think i try pattaya memorial but was hoping someone knew a doctor who has or works in his own clinic.

many doctors who work in hospitals work in clinics.

it's not an emergency.

thanks

Edited by HarriB

I can recommend Dr. Thongsuk, an orthopaedic surgeon at BKK-Pattaya. I've been using him for years, he's done carpal tunnel release surgery on me, and a hip replacement for a Swiss friend. He also quickly and correctly diagnosed my tophaceous arthritis 3 years ago, and has treated it successfully. My GP in the UK and another supposed medical professional there both failed to diagnose it.

I broke my left clavicle early March this year. Headed to Bangkok Pattaya and got X-rayed, when the orthopedic showed up, he told me I had to go through surgery.

Having broken a clavicle before, I know that surgery should not be done unless there is no joining of the bones, as there is a high probability of infection due to lots of blood vessels and nerves around the clavicles. I asked to see the x-ray and through my layman eyes, the break looked like the bones would be able to join again. So I told the orthopedic that I wasn't interested in surgery. He then pretty much just walked off, after telling me that he would send me home in a figure-8 brace and come back in 4 weeks again. He looked quite disappointed not being able to get another patient on the surgery table for a few 100K baht…

After two weeks when I could move around a bit, I headed up to Phyathai in Sriracha, my preferred hospital these days. Got a new x-ray and talked to their orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Montien Sirisuntornlak. I told him my story from BPH and he was surprised that I previously been told that I needed surgery. He suggested I come back in another two weeks to see if the bones would join properly, but at the moment everything looked good. I was cleaned up and got a new figure-8 brace, the one they had put on me at BPH was a size M, here they gave me a size L and told me that the old one was too small for me... As a nice bonus, prices were about 1/3 to ½ of what I had paid at BPH. For instance the figure-8 brace was about 300THB, at BPH it was 1090THB.

Additionaly, I got a very good impression from Dr. Montien, who also speaks perfect English.

I broke my left clavicle early March this year. Headed to Bangkok Pattaya and got X-rayed, when the orthopedic showed up, he told me I had to go through surgery.

Having broken a clavicle before, I know that surgery should not be done unless there is no joining of the bones, as there is a high probability of infection due to lots of blood vessels and nerves around the clavicles. I asked to see the x-ray and through my layman eyes, the break looked like the bones would be able to join again. So I told the orthopedic that I wasn't interested in surgery. He then pretty much just walked off, after telling me that he would send me home in a figure-8 brace and come back in 4 weeks again. He looked quite disappointed not being able to get another patient on the surgery table for a few 100K baht…

After two weeks when I could move around a bit, I headed up to Phyathai in Sriracha, my preferred hospital these days. Got a new x-ray and talked to their orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Montien Sirisuntornlak. I told him my story from BPH and he was surprised that I previously been told that I needed surgery. He suggested I come back in another two weeks to see if the bones would join properly, but at the moment everything looked good. I was cleaned up and got a new figure-8 brace, the one they had put on me at BPH was a size M, here they gave me a size L and told me that the old one was too small for me... As a nice bonus, prices were about 1/3 to ½ of what I had paid at BPH. For instance the figure-8 brace was about 300THB, at BPH it was 1090THB.

Additionaly, I got a very good impression from Dr. Montien, who also speaks perfect English.

MTH,

thanks for your reply.

i had a similar experience at bhp and they told me i needed surgery even though it wasn't

really much more than a badly bruised shoulder. the doc in chiang mai didn't understand either

why they wanted to put me under the knife.

as soon as i feel better i will be going to Phyathai in Sriracha and see if i can locate dr. momtien.

you wouldn't have his email address, would you?

that way i can find out when he is working.

thanks again for your help