Fishing Rigs

jackinbkk

Hi,

can an expert please put up some diagrams/images of the rigs (and descriptions) used at lakes like bung samran for catfish, siamese carp,arapima, gar etc. or a link to a site regarding this.

I have fished for striped catfish and mekong catfish using a straight feeder/spring and hooklengths of 15cm+ on a size 11/12 hook.

I have used bread but i've seen some people use rice husk material etc. What bait is used on the hook when this powder like material is used??? Sometimes this setup is paired with a sliding or fixed float and beads to protect the knots.

What depth is better for mekong catfish? Is it on the bottom, floated near the surface, 3m under the surface???? What hook length is recommended? Short, medium or long? I've seen some hook lengths over a metre from the feeder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

can an expert please put up some diagrams/images of the rigs (and descriptions) used at lakes like bung samran for catfish, siamese carp,arapima, gar etc. or a link to a site regarding this.

I have fished for striped catfish and mekong catfish using a straight feeder/spring and hooklengths of 15cm+ on a size 11/12 hook.

I have used bread but i've seen some people use rice husk material etc. What bait is used on the hook when this powder like material is used??? Sometimes this setup is paired with a sliding or fixed float and beads to protect the knots.

What depth is better for mekong catfish? Is it on the bottom, floated near the surface, 3m under the surface???? What hook length is recommended? Short, medium or long? I've seen some hook lengths over a metre from the feeder.

There seems to be some info here http://www.john-tom.com/FishingInThailand/BungSamran.html

• 2 weeks later...

post-61254-1256381888_thumb.jpgpost-61254-1256381888_thumb.jpg

Have a read of Peter Jaggs "A Freshwater Fisherman in Thailand"

At Bungsamran I use the following

7' rod 20-50lb

Shimano Baitrunner 6500 - 30lb mono

Cage with a short 2" Kevlar trace 100lb to a barbless gamekatsu

Cage at 10ft below a float.

Rice bran with water and pro-kick attractant.

Got a 47K Mekong on that rig as well as lot of smaller fish.

Hi,

Hi Jack,

We have one or two rigs on our website. For predators most of the fishing rigs are fairly crude (ie freelined deadbaits, livebaits under floats etc. But you cannot target the predaotrs on Bungsamran "legally" (ie if you ask the owners they will tell you you shouldnt be fishing with anything other than bread and lum(rice bran) without express permission. The ticket for fishing for Arapaima is 20,000BHT a day.

If you are fishing for Mekongs with rice bran/huks/lum, you dont put anything on the hook. The hook should be set between 3 and 5 inches below the baitball. The depth at which you fish really depends on the day, there is also a widely held view that the deeper you fish the less takes but the more like it will be a bigger specimen. Depths between 2mtr and 4 mtrs are typical, use a sliding float.

Try using just 1 knot in your mainline to a swivel. Thread a bead, then the float, then another two beads, then the feeder, then another bead, then tie your main line to swivel with at least 100lb test (size 3 or bigger) secure the feeder with an elastic band tied around the mainline (this creates a semi fix) and then another band above the bead and float to set the depth...again this is then adjustable and you can play around all day changing the depths until you find a depth that fish are taking.

SFT.

Edited by rufanuf

• 9 months later...

post-61254-1256381888_thumb.jpgpost-61254-1256381888_thumb.jpg

Have a read of Peter Jaggs "A Freshwater Fisherman in Thailand"

At Bungsamran I use the following

7' rod 20-50lb

Shimano Baitrunner 6500 - 30lb mono

Cage with a short 2" Kevlar trace 100lb to a barbless gamekatsu

Cage at 10ft below a float.

Rice bran with water and pro-kick attractant.

Got a 47K Mekong on that rig as well as lot of smaller fish.

Can you tell me where to buy rice bran and pro kick attractant?

See my response to the other thread. as to the attractant, there are tens of different attractants available. Go to your local tackle shop they will have a selection. If there are no tackle shops in your area, go to a your nearest supermarket and checking baking supplies. There you can pick up banana, vanilla, nom maew, bai teuy essences, etc. These also work well as attractants as long as you do not use too much.