Slight Of Hand Change

slapout

Duakamon books (DK) is the largest book shop in northern Thailand and is on Kotchasarn Road just south of Now you are part of the "in-crowd" :)

What does that mean, south of Loi Kroh Road? Are people meant to carry a compass to discover which direction is North, South, East or West?

Ok, in plain English:

If the Loi Kroh road if on your left, continue on about 200 metres towards the Lai-Thai Guest House.

Or after passing the Loi Kroh road, it is the first petrol station you come to on the same side of the road (left) that is next to the DK bookstore. The bookstore although within a large complex is set way back from the main road and easily missed is you are driving.

During the daytime there is always plenty of very tasty looking young student girls in school uniform hanging about around that area where the bookstore is located.

If you don’t bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

Now that's what I call a good set of directions. Plain English which even I can understand, with Loi Kroh spelt correctly and a few add on tit bits. Now, I do recall the Station but even after circling around the moat roads dozens of times I cannot ever recall seeing "the biggest bookshop in Northern Thailand". Up to now I thought there was only one. :D

Regarding ordering your petrol/gas in convenient quantities of baht notes I do hope you still have a handy 10 baht coin ready to slip into the shocked attendant's hand.

I do not blame the owner of a establishment for a employees actions/attitude, I doubt they train their help on slight of hand, palming bills, short changing customers, etc. I have found myself short changed and given too much change in about the same number of instances, over time. I ask for the correct change or return excess as the case may be and I am sure I have missed some of each. In this case the little shyster knew what he was doing from the time he decided to return change in 100's instead of 500 plus 100's and then palming the 100 baht bill, counting change 2 times while I watched, and then when asked to recount said he counted 2 times already.

I realize there are several things I can do to protect myself, but by filling the tank , I keep track of the fuel consumption, make sure pump is zeroed, ditto, count change prior to putting in pocket, ditto, etc

What this boy is doing is like dealing seconds in a card game, using loaded dice, picking your pocket, etc. He has practiced the moves/sight of hand. That was why the heads up for potential customers.

If you ride a scooter, keep a bag of 100 baht in one baht coins (rolled into 10's) under you seat. If you don't like a particular gas station or server then use them - it really pisses them off!

And it might also backfire on you too. Most countries have a maximum in small coinage as to what is accepted as legal tender.

I don't know what it is here but you could try giving them 400x 25 satang coins for a Baht 100 tank fill :)

During the daytime there is always plenty of very tasty looking young student girls in school uniform hanging about around that area where the bookstore is located.

If you don't bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

I knew a guy in the UK who enjoyed hanging around schools watching the girls.

I haven't heard from him for a while.

:):D:D

If you don't bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

He was popular in the Seventies. They no longer play his music on the radio for some reason?

Are people meant to carry a compass to discover which direction is North, South, East or West?

Ok, in plain English:

If the Loi Kroh road if on your left, continue on about 200 metres towards the Lai-Thai Guest House...........................................

My oh my, what an angry little pedant we are. Know, arse and elbow are three words that spring to mind :)

Are people meant to carry a compass to discover which direction is North, South, East or West?

Ok, in plain English:

If the Loi Kroh road if on your left, continue on about 200 metres towards the Lai-Thai Guest House...........................................

My oh my, what an angry little pedant we are. Know, arse and elbow are three words that spring to mind :)

Is that somone who likes to look at young girls in school uniform or am I thinking of something else?

Edited by KevinHunt

To avoid the change issue, I always fill up with either 500Bt or 1000Bt - whichever I have on me.

Then all you have to do is check the pump reading and hand over one note; saves hassle.

I have never asked for so many litres or to fill up, I always ask for 500Bt or 1000Bts worth of petrol, much easier.

About time somebody came up with this answer! Blimey; how easy is it to get out of the car, check the pump is set to zero and ask for 500 or 1000 Baht's worth? I am amazed people fall for such basic scams after living here a lot longer than me.

To avoid the change issue, I always fill up with either 500Bt or 1000Bt - whichever I have on me.

Then all you have to do is check the pump reading and hand over one note; saves hassle.

I have never asked for so many litres or to fill up, I always ask for 500Bt or 1000Bts worth of petrol, much easier.

About time somebody came up with this answer! Blimey; how easy is it to get out of the car, check the pump is set to zero and ask for 500 or 1000 Baht's worth? I am amazed people fall for such basic scams after living here a lot longer than me.

I get the feeling that the folks who are getting several hundred baht change are filling a motorbike tank--not too easy to get 500-1000 Baht fuel into one of them --sometimes you'd be lucky to exceed 50 baht on a fill up.

Although, last time I put fuel in a bike it cost 12 baht a litre.

:)

Same same, whichever country.

everyone.

this is the short changing garage so everyone knows what the place looks like

enjoy pic ..... dave2

ps ... UG .... its food food and food with you isnt it : )

enjoy the popcorn !

arh the Petronas one........they give out free water on fills over 500B :)

A lot of people have read this thread and we haven't a clue where it ,or the DK bookstore, is. So it will be difficult to avoid. But I'm sure the in-crowd will benefit.

Duakamon books (DK) is the largest book shop in northern Thailand and is on Kotchasarn Road just south of Now you are part of the "in-crowd" :)

What does that mean, south of Loi Kroh Road? Are people meant to carry a compass to discover which direction is North, South, East or West?

Ok, in plain English:

If the Loi Kroh road if on your left, continue on about 200 metres towards the Lai-Thai Guest House.

Or after passing the Loi Kroh road, it is the first petrol station you come to on the same side of the road (left) that is next to the DK bookstore. The bookstore although within a large complex is set way back from the main road and easily missed is you are driving.

If you don’t bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

I would not really think that a compass is necessary.

Most countries I have visited (and come to think of it. all the countries that I have visited) the sun always comes up in the east and sets in the west. So if the sun is on your east straight ahead would seem to be that you are heading south.

OK for all the guys filling up when the sun is at it's meridian and still having a problem it will still be casting a shadow shortly before or after midday so it's not rocket science is it.

Another simple way would be to look and see where Doi Suthep is. If Doi Suthep is on your right you are driving south and if it on your left it is a fairly safe bet you are heading north.

For those that don't know their left hand from their right maybe the compass is your best bet. "or invest in a GPS" :D

He was popular in the Seventies. They no longer play his music on the radio for some reason?

No, I am not into anything like that, thank God, I`m a legal pervert.

A lot of people have read this thread and we haven't a clue where it ,or the DK bookstore, is. So it will be difficult to avoid. But I'm sure the in-crowd will benefit.

Ok, in plain English:

I would not really think that a compass is necessary.

Most countries I have visited (and come to think of it. all the countries that I have visited) the sun always comes up in the east and sets in the west. So if the sun is on your east straight ahead would seem to be that you are heading south.

OK for all the guys filling up when the sun is at it's meridian and still having a problem it will still be casting a shadow shortly before or after midday so it's not rocket science is it.

Another simple way would be to look and see where Doi Suthep is. If Doi Suthep is on your right you are driving south and if it on your left it is a fairly safe bet you are heading north.

For those that don't know their left hand from their right maybe the compass is your best bet. "or invest in a GPS" :D

did you say look for doi suthep and the sun?

1236144354.jpg

lucky this thread didnt start in feb/march :D:D

get a GPS and a locator beacon :D

did you say look for doi suthep and the sun?

1236144354.jpg

lucky this thread didnt start in feb/march :D:D

get a GPS and a locator beacon :D

Thanks for the photo, Donnyboy. My morning chuckle. :)

I can understand not knowing north from south in the big cities like Bangkok. The hazy light comes from everywhere. But, in Chiang Mai it is simple once you've been in the city a few days and learn to recognize a few landmarks. The Tai Pei gate is a simple one and quite a popular location. It's central on the east side of the moat. Most everyone knows Loi Khroh road after a few days... or should.

However, the suggestion of a GPS with a Thai map is a good one for anyone new to Thailand. It certainly helps from getting lost. And, you can use Google earth to make your own points of interest.

arh the Petronas one........they give out free water on fills over 500B :D

That'll get Kevin Hunt down there :)

Because it's one of the few late-night stations it's probably the place I use most. Quite a colourful place it is, too. :D

You don't get the free water there as often as other gas stations, thankfully. I have to have a clear out of my car every now and then to get rid of all the free water that accumulates. Do people really drink that stuff?

One free bottle of water with every 500 baht spent!! Do people go out of their way for that? If that's the case, I'll give it a try in the low season. I'll put a big sign out ....                                                          

Free water*

* One free bottle for every 500 baht spent,  (conditions apply).

Sometimes I forget how gullible some folk are, thanks for reminding me.

arh the Petronas one........they give out free water on fills over 500B :D

That'll get Kevin Hunt down there :)

Because it's one of the few late-night stations it's probably the place I use most. Quite a colourful place it is, too. :D

You don't get the free water there as often as other gas stations, thankfully. I have to have a clear out of my car every now and then to get rid of all the free water that accumulates. Do people really drink that stuff?

One free bottle of water with every 500 baht spent!! Do people go out of their way for that? If that's the case, I'll give it a try in the low season. I'll put a big sign out ....

Free water*

* One free bottle for every 500 baht spent, (conditions apply).

Sometimes I forget how gullible some folk are, thanks for reminding me.

gullible but not thirsty :D