Thai Government Scrapes A D-grade For First 6 Months

george

Thai Government scrapes a D-grade for first 6 months

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- The Thai Government has a received a below average D-grade from the electorate for it’s first six months in office.

The nationwide poll conducted by the Suan Dusit Rajabhat University asked respondents to grade the Government on various performance criteria resulting in an average 6.93 out of 10 for its work to date.

The Government achieved its lowest opinion rating in Bangkok, barely achieving a D-grade with a score of just 6.05 out of 10, while in the country it scored an overall 6.52.

Suan Dusit Poll director Sukhum Chaleysub said an analysis of the result shows the “people were still not satisfied”.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva received a personal C-grade score of 7.38, equivalent to average for his efforts and a below average D-grade of 6.37 for his accomplishments.

Overall the Thai people gave the Government a fail grade of 5.82 for its honesty and 5.66 for its unity.

Individual government ministries failed to impress also, with the top scoring Education Ministry receiving a below average D-grade score of 6.69, followed by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security at 6.64, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports with 6.38, the Ministry of Culture at 6.33 and the Ministry of Public Health rating just 6.11.

The Transport Ministry received a fail grade of 5.64 out of 10, marginally ahead of the Finance Ministry at 5.55 and the Commerce Ministry at the bottom of the ladder with just 5.47.

The one bright spot to come from the survey for the Government was broad approval from the people for its 15-year free education scheme, the state welfare for the elderly and underprivileged people, and the Bt2,000 (about $US58.76) payment to low-income earners.

The Government scored worst when it came to its handling of the pandemic A(H1N1) flu outbreak, assistance for the agricultural sector, and it’s handling of the country's financial and economic problems.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-01

Government scores 6.39 out of 10: poll

By The Nation

Published on August 1, 2009

On a scale of 10, the government gets an average 6.39 for its six-month performance, Suan Dusit Poll said in a survey released yesterday. The provinces were more enthusiastic than Bangkok, giving it 6.52 against the capital's 6.02.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva got an approval rating of 7.38, while his Cabinet trailed behind at 6.3.

Among the government's positive attributes, sincerity ranked highest at 6.26, followed by non-interference in the bureaucracy, honesty and coalition unity.

Among top government achievements free education was most popular, followed by welfare for senior citizens and the Bt2,000 cash handout for low-income earners.

The least-favourite policies included public debt, the rising cost of living, type-A (H1N1) flu and relief for the farming sector.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/08/01

A D grade is 69%

A C grade is 74%

A Fail grade is 58%

Sounds like a test nobody could excel at unless of course this bad reporting.

Persoanlly I prefer anecdotal evidence over any survey although in this case that may be worse for the government.

Classical five-point discrete evaluation with grades is the system most commonly used in the United States,

Grade Percentage GPA value

A 90-100 3.5-4.0

B 80-89 2.5-3.49

C 70-79 1.5-2.49

D 60-69 1.0-1.49

F 0 - 59 0.0

The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a standard for comparing the attainment and performance of students of higher education across the European Union.

ECTS grading scale

ECTS Definition Percentage

scale range

A Excellent 90%–100%

B Above average 80%–89%

C Average 70%–79%

D Below average 60%–69%

F Fail 0%-59%

I would be surprised if average Thais who've graded the current gov't were aware of the American or European grading system. :) More likely, they graded the gov't based on this 4.0 GPA system which they have known all their lives:

Grade 4, 80-100 4.0

Grade 3, 70-79 3.0

Grade 2, 60-69 2.0

Grade 1, 50-59 1.0

Grade 0 (Fail), <50 0.0

Bear in mind this is politics we're talking about, and unless the grading adequately compensates for that fact, it's extremely rare for any political party or politician to get approval ratings higher than 50-60% no matter how successful they are.

The longer they stay in power the harder it is. Even people who voted for, or even still actively support, a party/politician don't want them to get complacent.

Gallup and similar polls have Obama’s approval rating currently at 52-55% and he’s doing better than a lot of other world leaders.

As for applying A, B, C, D grades etc... Are you serious? This is not some exam anyone is ever going to get 80% on, never mind anything close to a perfect score.

Thai surveys are typically rubbish anyway, the "polling" is rarely done using either a sufficiently random or sufficiently large group of people to be valid, and the questions are either biased or just poorly thought out, as are the conclusions gained. Oh you don't support Abhisit therefore (haha - got you!) you love Thaksin! Q.E.D. Hang on sunshine - what about a few more choices, maybe even a "None of the above" option?

Now if this survey is in way indicative of true sentiment out there, I'd reckon Abhisit would be more than happy with those scores.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva received a personal C-grade score of 7.38

I reckon I'd be calling that "C" an A+ if this survey is valid, which I doubt.

Here's my freshly-plucked-out-of my-4rs3 reality-adjusted political ratings system:

A >60%

B 50-60%

C 40-50%

F <40%

Disclaimer: I’m anti-Thaksin as he’s an all-round douche - a man without a shred of moral fibre - but for the love of God do not assume that automatically makes me pro-Abhisit, pro-elite, pro-junta, pro-coup, or pro-anything else. I just despise the abuse of statistics, especially when combined with crappy journalism.

Execpt this this is political polling and easily skewed.

Next it is not grading vs 100% effectiveness, because this ain't school this is real world

and 100% effectiveness is existing in 0% of governments in the world 100% of the time.

Next as to popular governmental rating 80% effectiveness is considered stratospherically good,

75% considered on a roll and only things go pear shaped 65% and under.

Bush was down to 30% at the end...

The window of percentages is much nartrower and no one ever hits 90%

unless they write the poll answers themselves...

So they are average above average in general compared to typical polling methods.

Considering the hash the world economy is in that they are doing as well as they are is surprising.

Do I wish they were doing better, most certainly.

Do I think the alternative to them is going to be an improvement...

certainly not.

All things are relative. I wonder if the survey were to make a comparison between the performance of the previous government of the now opposition party, and the present government, what will the results be. Recalling this govt has to face the full fury of the global financial and economic crisis.

resulting in an average 6.93 out of 10 for its work

By John Le Fevre

Classical five-point discrete evaluation with grades is the system most commonly used in the United States,

A 90-100 3.5-4.0

B 80-89 2.5-3.49

C 70-79 1.5-2.49

D 60-69 1.0-1.49

F 0 - 59 0.0

Using the scale provided and considering the government just narrowly missed getting a C-, would suggest the thread title be correctly renamed for improved accuracy:

Thai Government scrapes a D+grade for first 6 months

Edited by sriracha john

By John Le Fevre

A 90-100 3.5-4.0

B 80-89 2.5-3.49

C 70-79 1.5-2.49

D 60-69 1.0-1.49

F 0 - 59 0.0

Using the scale provided and considering the government just narrowly missed getting a C-, would suggest the thread title be correctly renamed for improved accuracy:

Then it wouldn't be a five graded system would it?

But hey, lets move away from the KISS principle.

If you're so keen to pat the government on the back why not split the A grade into A++, A+, A, A-, A-- and say they got an A-?

By John Le Fevre

A 90-100 3.5-4.0

B 80-89 2.5-3.49

C 70-79 1.5-2.49

D 60-69 1.0-1.49

F 0 - 59 0.0

Then it wouldn't be a five graded system would it?

But hey, lets move away from the KISS principle.

If you're so keen to pat the government on the back why not split the A grade into A++, A+, A, A-, A-- and say they got an A-?

If you're choosing to use only 5 grades, then the "-" should be dropped entirely and only "D" used.

It was the inaccuracy of reflecting a 69 as a D- and not the correct the D+ that I was addressing in the thread title.

Apologies for wishing to have accuracy reflected in the news.

• Like 1

If you're choosing to use only 5 grades, then the "-" should be dropped entirely and only "D" used.

It was the inaccuracy of reflecting a 69 as a D- and not the correct the D+ that I was addressing in the thread title.

Apologies for wishing to have accuracy reflected in the news.

Ummm, it's a hyphen :)

So slightly off topic. Mr Obama's popularity rating puts him on a solid D grade :).

I notice that BP thought the government had done rather well from these figures and BP is usually quite critical of the government. It seems interpretation of this survey is somewhat subjective.

"If you're choosing to use only 5 grades, then the "-" should be dropped entirely and only "D" used.

Apologies for wishing to have accuracy reflected in the news."

Ummm, it's a hyphen :D

:):D