Drugged And Mugged In Bangkok

churchill

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP 's location is stated as Samui. One must assume he know s Thailands reputation. How did he get caught like this? Why post this now? Stinks beyond belief. (have you read my previous posts? took him back to a hotel they didn't pick him up from, knowing he could never find them again and phone him next day. Waits 3 weeks to tell us this?)

Incredible. Amazing churchhill!

OMG beerchang.

Your as guilty as hel_l for not reading posts correctly.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMULATED RESISTANCE IS FUTILE :)

Drugged and mugged in Bangkok

On the morning of July 7 I left my hotel in Sukhumvit Road to walk into central Bangkok. A young woman of perhaps 30 and a Filipino man of about 50 approached me in a friendly manner. Finding I was English, the man said that his sister was coming to London to work as a hospital nurse.

As she was apprehensive about living in Britain, he asked if I would come to his home to reassure her. I said I would be happy to help as, by coincidence, my grandson was also a nurse in London.

He called a taxi and after 15 minutes we arrived at an attractive bungalow set in a garden. I accepted a soft drink and the sister came and sat beside me. I spoke to her about nursing in London and she listened politely.

Then the man asked me to come into another room, where he produced a pack of cards and said he would educate me in the secrets of card play.

By this time I seemed to be floating in a dreamlike place. I started giggling, which annoyed the man. He asked to see my wallet and roughly went through it. Other people came and went. We played cards but I had no idea what I was doing. He then took my camera and put it in a cupboard. I was incapable of saying or doing anything.

Finally, I was told to get into a taxi and taken to a modern shopping complex by the man and his "nurse" sister. I was told to hand my bank card to a shop assistant. I remember signing the till printouts and seeing the man and his sister head off with shopping bags. The taxi driver then took me back to my hotel.

It was not until I reached my room that my brain seemed to clear and the enormity of what I had done dawned on me. It was clear I had been drugged. I phoned my bank to cancel my debit card but three transactions totalling £2,550 had already been cleared and the money taken from my account.

The following morning the Filipino man rang my hotel room and made it clear that I should tell nobody. He said if I told the police then we would both go to a Thai jail (I had already informed the police and the British embassy). Fortunately, I did not hear from him again.

It was such a frightening experience that I want to warn other travellers to Bangkok. I will not be able to recover any of the £2,550 because I had voluntarily signed for the sums being taken from my account.

Name and address supplied

Gill Charlton replies

Bangkok is known for its sophisticated ways of parting tourists from their money and this appears a particularly elaborate swindle.

Beware people who befriend you on the street and ask favours or offer taxi tours. As this male senior citizen discovered, it can prove a life-threatening encounter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnis...in-Bangkok.html

COMLETE BULL*HIT. Unless you are..... well, I have to respect other TV members. What the heck were you thinking, even if it's true, getting into a taxi with a Thai girl and Phillipino man and letting them take you somewhere and not even knowing where? Holy cr*p! Just what kind of an I.Q does one have to have to do that? (question...not calling OP low I.Q)

Have you ever been to ANY foriegn countries on holiday? You came here without doing ANY research about Thailand on the net? Then did what you did? OMG.

As for what Gill says...I ask...how on earth is the way you got into a cab with 2 strangers and let them take you somewhere...sophisticated? I'm gobsmacked at your.....naievety, to say the least.

You're either a troll or sometging that I can't say on here. Amaze me.

This is my 3rd try at posting a reply (and you guys think the net in thai is bad try doha)

Read the original post not once but twice, the op is report something from a uk newspaper and not personal experience.

beerchang i think another case of read and not see and assimulate.

to all those that read and don't understand what you read.

Resitance is futile YOU WILL BE ASSIMULATED. :D

May be it is a bogus post in the newspaper, But who knows for sure? Stranger things have happened in thailand.

:) Yep. I gotta say though, wasn't very clear was it? Straight into the "I was..." and no source provided except 'Gills' article. Still think churchill is giggling away somewhere. Amazing churchill! :D

i was walking home late last night after visiting the outlaws and heard something in the dark

it was very scary and as people know streetlights in middle of nowhere towns are non existant

i stoped and so do whatever was following me

i started walking again and felt this huge presence behind me

2 pairs of large eyes stared into mine

my aunt in laws cattle

they stared at me

and stared

i felt helpless then gently they nudged me into town to the ATM

i withdrew god knows how much and handed it over

then they walked me home

well

that is what i told the wife anyway

Edited by PastEgo

What´s so funny? Are all tourists and new comers expected to behave like thai experts on everything? Laughing at others misfortune and pretending to know it all just show how cynical and sad some people really are.

No need to be a Thai expert, just a little common sense is required.

Hear, hear!

The victim knowing that he had being drugged in someway should have gone for a blood test.

This should have shown even just a residue of the drug in his blood stream.

Way back in the mid 80’s I was slipped a mickey while eating a sidewalk meal in Patpong. I believe it was delivered in an open bottle of beer. (The only beer I had that day) Fortunately for me I had planned on eating then heading elsewhere. The drug took effect as my then wife and I entered a taxi.

We went to a private hospital, explained my symptoms and I asked for tests. The hospital told me even if they took a test the effects would have worn off by the time the results arrived and even then the results could be inconclusive.

The victim knowing that he had being drugged in someway should have gone for a blood test.

This should have shown even just a residue of the drug in his blood stream.

Way back in the mid 80's I was slipped a mickey while eating a sidewalk meal in Patpong. I believe it was delivered in an open bottle of beer. (The only beer I had that day) Fortunately for me I had planned on eating then heading elsewhere. The drug took effect as my then wife and I entered a taxi.

We went to a private hospital, explained my symptoms and I asked for tests. The hospital told me even if they took a test the effects would have worn off by the time the results arrived and even then the results could be inconclusive.

The effects have nothing to do with it.

Once you have blood taken that is it whatever you have taken (knowingly or unknowingly) will show up within a period of time.

Having said that you are talking about 1980. 29 years is several lifetimes in toxicology advances.

I notice of late that the Telegraph seems to be hard up for newsworthy articles, even Matt is on holiday. Ah yes, that's it, it's vacation time for the mainstreamers, time to raid the archives for anything that might conceivably sell newspapers.

What´s so funny? Are all tourists and new comers expected to behave like thai experts on everything? Laughing at others misfortune and pretending to know it all just show how cynical and sad some people really are.
I think cynical is perhaps too polite a word for them, pricks sound better ! :) ,its always the trusting sorts that are idiots in these peoples eyes, not the thieving lowlifes that plague the world,.grow up !

I think cynical is perhaps too polite a word for them, pricks sound better ! :) ,its always the trusting sorts that are idiots in these peoples eyes, not the thieving lowlifes that plague the world,.grow up !

At the very least you saying the world and not just thailand is good

OP 's location is stated as Samui. One must assume he know s Thailands reputation. How did he get caught like this? Why post this now? Stinks beyond belief. (have you read my previous posts? took him back to a hotel they didn't pick him up from, knowing he could never find them again and phone him next day. Waits 3 weeks to tell us this?)

I think youl find it wasnt old winnie that was micky fin'd. much too wise a fellow :)

Drugged and mugged in Bangkok

On the morning of July 7 I left my hotel in Sukhumvit Road to walk into central Bangkok. A young woman of perhaps 30 and a Filipino man of about 50 approached me in a friendly manner. Finding I was English, the man said that his sister was coming to London to work as a hospital nurse.

As she was apprehensive about living in Britain, he asked if I would come to his home to reassure her. I said I would be happy to help as, by coincidence, my grandson was also a nurse in London.

He called a taxi and after 15 minutes we arrived at an attractive bungalow set in a garden. I accepted a soft drink and the sister came and sat beside me. I spoke to her about nursing in London and she listened politely.

Then the man asked me to come into another room, where he produced a pack of cards and said he would educate me in the secrets of card play.

By this time I seemed to be floating in a dreamlike place. I started giggling, which annoyed the man. He asked to see my wallet and roughly went through it. Other people came and went. We played cards but I had no idea what I was doing. He then took my camera and put it in a cupboard. I was incapable of saying or doing anything.

Finally, I was told to get into a taxi and taken to a modern shopping complex by the man and his "nurse" sister. I was told to hand my bank card to a shop assistant. I remember signing the till printouts and seeing the man and his sister head off with shopping bags. The taxi driver then took me back to my hotel.

It was not until I reached my room that my brain seemed to clear and the enormity of what I had done dawned on me. It was clear I had been drugged. I phoned my bank to cancel my debit card but three transactions totalling £2,550 had already been cleared and the money taken from my account.

The following morning the Filipino man rang my hotel room and made it clear that I should tell nobody. He said if I told the police then we would both go to a Thai jail (I had already informed the police and the British embassy). Fortunately, I did not hear from him again.

It was such a frightening experience that I want to warn other travellers to Bangkok. I will not be able to recover any of the £2,550 because I had voluntarily signed for the sums being taken from my account.

Name and address supplied

Gill Charlton replies

Bangkok is known for its sophisticated ways of parting tourists from their money and this appears a particularly elaborate swindle.

Beware people who befriend you on the street and ask favours or offer taxi tours. As this male senior citizen discovered, it can prove a life-threatening encounter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnis...in-Bangkok.html

The moralof the story is: leave your wallet and credits cards in the hotel safe unless you are heading out to make a credit card purchase.

All you need carry is a copy of your passport and enough cash to see you through whatever you have in mind.

Quite simple and effect remedy.

I think youl find it wasnt old winnie that was micky fin'd. much too wise a fellow :D

Beerchang

I rest my case :)

Ok, ok. As red faced as I now am. The story still stinks of madeupness. Consider my earlier posts :) . Not picked up at a hotel, drugged in a place he couldn't find again and the 'perps' took him back to the hotel they didn't pick him up from and called him the next day, knowing which room he was in!? to threaten the confused, drugged, didn't know where I was ,individual. <deleted>! Why bother? Chances of seeing them again? The press will do anything for a story and this just stinks bad. Too many inconsistencies. Am I the only one noticing the massive amount of BS occuring here?

Ok, ok. As red faced as I now am. The story still stinks of madeupness. Consider my earlier posts :) . Not picked up at a hotel, drugged in a place he couldn't find again and the 'perps' took him back to the hotel they didn't pick him up from and called him the next day, knowing which room he was in!? to threaten the confused, drugged, didn't know where I was ,individual. <deleted>! Why bother? Chances of seeing them again? The press will do anything for a story and this just stinks bad. Too many inconsistencies. Am I the only one noticing the massive amount of BS occuring here?

Agree beerchang.

It stinks but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

At least thats what i told the judge at my last appearance :D

The guy also said that he'd signed for the payments which means he didn't need to be threatened ...at all...not in the least. The 'perps' already got away with it surely. Could the guy go to the police and actually have to admit at the final outcome of all his accusations that there really was no provable complaint as he signed for the whole deal by his own admission.

Do I thin to mutt?

The guy also said that he'd signed for the payments which means he didn't need to be threatened ...at all...not in the least. The 'perps' already got away with it surely. Could the guy go to the police and actually have to admit at the final outcome of all his accusations that there really was no provable complaint as he signed for the whole deal by his own admission.

Do I thin to mutt?

Easy easy my friend, i am on the same lines as you. Just not the same words :)

Do I thin to mutt?

Easy easy my friend, i am on the same lines as you. Just not the same words :)

I'm easy like a Sunday morning dude! It's just so made up when you look at the details. Would you, in a city so expansive, after picking someone up on the street, drugging them, getting them to sign for stuff making it a legal transaction, taking them to a place they couldn't find again, (I've been to many places in BKK that I could never find again and I've been here many times in 7 years) take the trouble of waiting for drugged victim to become aware enough to tell you where his hotel is after getting £2500 off him and then take him back there and phone him the next frickin' day to threaten him? Utter, utter bullsh*t in the highest degree.

Do I thin to mutt?

Easy easy my friend, i am on the same lines as you. Just not the same words :D

I'm easy like a Sunday morning dude! It's just so made up when you look at the details. Would you, in a city so expansive, after picking someone up on the street, drugging them, getting them to sign for stuff making it a legal transaction, taking them to a place they couldn't find again, (I've been to many places in BKK that I could never find again and I've been here many times in 7 years) take the trouble of waiting for drugged victim to become aware enough to tell you where his hotel is after getting £2500 off him and then take him back there and phone him the next frickin' day to threaten him? Utter, utter bullsh*t in the highest degree.

I know Iknow beerchang.

But it's knocking my post count up pretty quick, Don't spoil it. :)

Er, mahtin, did they drug you and mug you? If not, <deleted> was your post about? (I let one person reply and look what they said, valuable contribution mahtin, f'sure).

Sorry to interrupt your hijack :)

Do I thin to mutt?

Easy easy my friend, i am on the same lines as you. Just not the same words :D

I know Iknow beerchang.

But it's knocking my post count up pretty quick, Don't spoil it. :)

I'm there for ya dude! But hey, did you get that last posters question on how after being pick-pocketed, he asked , 'how' !!!! OMG! The usual run of things is when you've been pick-pocketed, the money etc comes from your pocket! Some real...oh...sorry...I have to respect all members of TV. Despite how frickin' stupid they might be!!! :D (Disclaimer: Not calling any particular individual stupid, nor every member or otherwise on here). Respect to all.

How is it some of these posters manage to survive in their own countries long enough to make the trip over here is beyond me.. :):D:D

Really, i know of some mormon kids from provo utah that have more street smarts then these guys..... Im gonna start asking tourists if i can "see" their atm cards,, the thais arent the only ones that should have acess to such easy money :D