Bars/resteurants No Alcohol Sales 2-5pm

BlueSmurf

not in Bangkok. at least at the moment.

Maybe just here then but its for real..Not a trial period...As there was no warning given I believe it to the enforcement of a old law brought in about 4/5 years ago..We used to have a beer garden within the food hall in Big C but they could not sell between those hours...If its enforced nationwide that will be another reason for tourists to avoid coming here. If the no girls rule for karoke bars is enforced to cover beer bars then thats the game up!lol..

I have fallen victim to this recently also. Mainly in food courts but also occasionally in small provincial restaurants. To counter the rule(and severe anxiety caused by being disallowed a drink) I have taken to carrying a liter of yaa dong with me at all times. Staff at these restaurants have no vocal objection to me sucking on a bottle of spirits. I would have rathered a beer but.... On the plus side, a plate of deep fried pig skin and my own booze works out way cheaper that a full meal and a few beers. Happy days.

I thought it only applied to Lotus and 7/11s. Got knocked back at the 7/11 so walked two doors down to a general store and no problems.

It's supposedly to stop the kids buying grog on the way home from school.

Edited by krading

Shops such 7-11, Tesco Lotus, Makro , Big C, they have all followed this no sale of Alcohol for along time . As for the bars ? I was drinking in them yesterday afternoon in Chiang Rai, there is no change to what they are doing . What bars do you use that dont sell alcohol in Chiang Rai between 2 and 5pm ?

BS.

I thought it only applied to Lotus and 7/11s. Got knocked back at the 7/11 so walked two doors down to a general store and no problems.

It's supposedly to stop the kids buying grog on the way home from school.

Well its been broadcast on the radio here now! So its the law now..We are still wondering here if its a extension of the no alcohol sales law between 2-5pm which affects 7-11's and Tesco's etc or a new law which is being tested here and then applied every where.Have a friend who has a resteurant going to see the relevant authority Monday to get to the bottom of it..Would not seem possible that this is a new law which only affects jang wat Chiang Rai created by the local authority? Did not think they could do that but had to follow national guidelines.

Please be assured this is being enforced here and no one is allowed to sell alcohol between 2-5pm anywhere..

On a lighter note Big C will sell beer between these hours here but you have to buy a case plus 2 bottles! How crazy is that..!!

Shops such 7-11, Tesco Lotus, Makro , Big C, they have all followed this no sale of Alcohol for along time . As for the bars ? I was drinking in them yesterday afternoon in Chiang Rai, there is no change to what they are doing . What bars do you use that dont sell alcohol in Chiang Rai between 2 and 5pm ?

BS.

Maybe not everyone has been informed yet but its been on the radio here and paperwork has been delivered to tell people in some bars...It started 3 days ago....

BS.

Maybe not everyone has been informed yet but its been on the radio here and paperwork has been delivered to tell people in some bars...It started 3 days ago....

Probably some restaurant/barowners have not paid their teamoney in time here in Chiang Rai!

If they stop bars and restaurants in Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Pattaya etc from selling alcohol between 2.00 and 5.00 that will not be good for touristíndustri in Thailand.

We will see!

:):D:D

Enforcement of this law seems really random in Bangkok. One branch of a supermarket will adhere to alcohol sales hours very strictly and cut you off if you're a minute late, while another branch of that same supermarket a kilometer away sells booze with no restrictions at all.