Thai Pronunciation Of Buddhist Terms

Xangsamhua

Dear friends

Maybe this should be in the Thai Language forum, but I'll start here.

Can anyone advise me of a text or website that provides Thai transliteration of Sanskrit and Pali terms used in Buddhism?

For example, I've found that the Thai term for samsara is สังสารวัฏ (sangsarawat) and is translated by my online dictionary as "rebirth".

I could not find a transliteration of bodhi, a term about which I've been having confusing discussions with my wife, whether because of Thai usage or not I'm not sure. She only recognises bodhi as a compound, as in bodhisatta, or a proper noun, as in Samana Photiraksa.

Recently I was talking to a colleague about many Chinese-Thai people's devotion to Kuan Im (Kuan Yin, etc.) and I referred to Avalokiteshvara, (feeling a bit self-conscious as I did so). I didn't know the Thai term for this, but my friend did, so these transliterations are around in Thai, but where??

Edited by Xangsamhua

Recently I was talking to a colleague about many Chinese-Thai people's devotion to Kuan Im (Kuan Yin, etc.) and I referred to Avalokiteshvara, (feeling a bit self-conscious as I did so). I didn't know the Thai term for this, but my friend did, so these transliterations are around in Thai, but where??

Ven. P.A. Payutto's Dictionary of Buddhism: http://www.tipitaka.org/thai-dict

One section has Thai-Pali-English.

This is wonderful, Camerata. Thank you very much. I have bookmarked it.

:)

Now all I need is a dictionary of Pali/Sanskrit proper nouns and their Thai transliterations. :D

This is wonderful, Camerata. Thank you very much. I have bookmarked it.

:)

Now all I need is a dictionary of Pali/Sanskrit proper nouns and their Thai transliterations. :D

Whoever said there wasn't much to do in Bangkok.