Kt Mansion Review

KT MANSION (not MT, Sorry) EDIT I fixed the topic title. Crossy :)

Hi guys, I basically wanted to give a review of the first two months of my experience at this place as it has not been the best of places ive lived over the past three years here.

Moved in on the first of june with previously on and off living here when my new gf was here. Spent many nights here over a month and absolutely loved it. The restaurant downstairs was absolutely amazing, cheap food but at great quality. One thing I knew before moving in was that the internet was shared and you had to log in each time. This didnt bother me as when i was using it while on and off living here with the gf, it was fine and had no problems. Little did I know of the problems I was about to face!

Here at KT, there are two buildings (A&:D, B being the new one and A was the first to be built. Once we moved in we found out through the first day that we were not even able to pick up a wireless signal from the "high speed internet" they said they were providing. I went and had a look around the ceilings for the routers and worked out that they had 1 router for pretty much the whole floor. Let me put this into perspective for you, there are 36 rooms per floor and each have a maximum of 3 tenants per room. After living here with the gf for that month on and off, I could see many farangs and also around my age 20-30, but now, i have only seen about 2. Thinking about it for a second, this place is rougly about 80% full of university students because its so cheap and you can also fit three people to a room.

So, with my really rough calculation, lets say out of the 36 rooms on my floor, there are 2 people staying in one room. 36X2 = 72 and the majority will have one of the internet logins which allocate you "1mg" but don't be fooled, its for sure not that (sometimes I cant even get to the adslspeedtest to test it haha). Only one person can use the login in one room so you have to purchase multiple accounts to get everyone on the internet which I think most of the students are doing. 300b per month and also 300b at the very start for a deposit, sorry - deposit for a log in to some shitty internet, you've lost me at deposit & internet. No equipment is involved and its just simply a number and password written down for me on a scrap piece of paper.

After not being able to even pick up a signal in my room (i actually walked out my room with the mac book pro and walked towards the router, its about 5 rooms down that i can get the smallest of signal), so i decided to put my router in and boost the signal through an Ethernet connection they provided. Yes i know there is an Ethernet connection but in this day and age, everyone does not want a long piece of cable going through there room and floor (also it made no difference about the following paragraph about the internet cutting etc). So, I got my wireless signal sorted - great. I GOT INTERNET - woo! O no, there is another complication, I started to see that at around 5/6pm every day all week the speeds would drop sufficiently and loading a web page was like being at home on my 56k modem when i was 9 or 10, this is fuc_king 2009 for god sake!

It popped into my mind, don't the uni students normally arrive home at this time in large groups? I think my conclusion was spot in with the students all coming home and "raping" the internet all at the same time and from 6-midnight every day, this got really f**king annoying (excuse my french). Complaining to the office downstairs, they sent an IT guy up to my room and he could speak pretty good English as my Thai is decent but not good enough for specifics. Talking about what the Mansion had internet wise, i was shocked. After i asked why I could not get a wireless signal he responded with "the management not pay for equipment, we try but nothing". So the management are that tight that they cant afford another access point / hub / switch whatever for the floor?

When everyone would come online at 6, it would cut about every 5 minutes and this means skype / msn would also cut. Talking to my mum or dad on a skype call was out of the question now, It would be 4 or 5 minutes in and bam..connection lost. After complaining for the whole month, they listened - they got more equipment into the Internet room and said it would all be better by next week (2 weeks ago). Well it has cut the cutting down by about 10 minutes per cut so yes, they did something a bit better but still..EUGH. After requesting that I will pay for a separate line to be put in by True and I will do everything, you can just sit in your chairs and do fuk all as I sort it all out. "No" says the manager. "Why?" i reply, "We have policy with true, you not get phone line here from them". By this time, I'm a bit frustrated as my uni research and work requires a fairly decent connection which loads web pages properly. "Can i speak to head office about this please?". "No". After most of the staff were laughing at me at this point, i just walked out...I had to calm down because I think anybody would of done or said something they regret lol.

So after all this time, there was really..no improvement to anything and still angry. The staff think that its a joke when i go down and talk to them, I just went down a few minutes ago after one of the staff spoke to my gf very very rudely and thought it was funny when I asked them why. I told them to stop laughing and that their buisness ideas were not of the greatest. Little did they know, i knew that head office was coming down tomorrow for a meeting with the "manager (If he could even call himself that)" which one of the IT guys told me the other week. I then said while leaving the office that I will be downstairs tomorrow to see the head office when they come, what time are they coming please? Their jaws dropped and said 9:30, it did certainly stop them laughing.

I really really want to push to everyone that this place is great, the rooms are so nice for the price, the facilities are awesome including its gym and washing machines. Restaurants are perfect, great food and service from both of them (A&B have one each and all deliver to room) but the internet is its main downfall. I dont think I will be renewing my 6 month contract as I cant live with this god awful internet. I really hate to move from here as I absolutely loved it but it has come to it and I have already started searching around.

IMHO, I think if your not a internet person and really have no issues with having slow ass internet and it cutting every 10 minutes 50% of the time then this place is perfect for you, cheap rooms, great facilities and ideal location. (20b motorbike to BTS On Nut) and a nice 24 hour mini mart.

Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of moving here and also - RANT OVER :D

Dan

Edited by Crossy

• 5 months later...