Dog Tags (for Humans)

simon43

One of my (few) fears is dying in a Thai hospital waiting room because they are unable to verify my medical insurance due to my lack of consciousness...

Recently, a work colleague had appendicitus and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital refused to operate because they were unable to contact his insurance company and he had forgotten to bring 40,000 baht deposit with him....

When I drive my car, I usually keep a copy of my medical insurance document above the sun visor. However, it might be more prudent to have some dog tags that are embossed with my medical insurance details and the current balance of my bank account :)

So, any suggestions as to where I can (in Pattaya or BKK), get some personalised dog tags made??

Simon

One of my (few) fears is dying in a Thai hospital waiting room because they are unable to verify my medical insurance due to my lack of consciousness...

Recently, a work colleague had appendicitus and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital refused to operate because they were unable to contact his insurance company and he had forgotten to bring 40,000 baht deposit with him....

When I drive my car, I usually keep a copy of my medical insurance document above the sun visor. However, it might be more prudent to have some dog tags that are embossed with my medical insurance details and the current balance of my bank account :)

So, any suggestions as to where I can (in Pattaya or BKK), get some personalised dog tags made??

Simon

There's certainly lots of www sites that offer dogtags for sail.

I had some made at Future Park Ransit, top floor, about in the middle. Baht 100, I think. Did these for myself and the wife, included a couple friend's tel #s, ID & passport #s, blood type, then ran out of space. Also got for a couple of the kids with several tel #s, just in case they get lost at the mall or elsewhere.

Would think that Pattaya might have such a machine to emboss dogtags.

Mac

Simon

There is a guy at the J&J weekend market (in Bangkok) that can make you USGI type dog tags. He charges about 200 to 300 baht for a pair of them including the chains. He has colored dog tags also, charges more for them. You get 5 lines of about 15 to 16 characters on each tag.

He is located along that row that has all of the military / camping stuff in it.

but do not get you bank balance engraved on as the OP suggests, I would need new tags every day as my account balanced changed :D

it may be better to put the PIN number for your atm card on the tag and also say which pocket the card is in, that way the hospital can make the withdrawal for you :) (Disclaimer for the hard of thinking: this is a joke, do not do this).

The Op actually has a good idea, I have a friend who is ex Royal Marine and he has his blood group etc tattooed on his shoulder, I know some insurance companies used to provide a bracelet or necklace with your medical details in side, I don't know if they still do this

Simon

There is a guy at the J&J weekend market (in Bangkok) that can make you USGI type dog tags. He charges about 200 to 300 baht for a pair of them including the chains. He has colored dog tags also, charges more for them. You get 5 lines of about 15 to 16 characters on each tag.

He is located along that row that has all of the military / camping stuff in it.

I put my name, nationality and passport number, blood type, phone number, and Bangkok Thailand, on the lines of my tags. Put one on my keyring, hopefully my keys might make their way back to me should I lose them.

Also serves as some form of ID should I be found unconscious and minus my wallet. I hope that never happens though...

• 4 weeks later...

Good idea, except you are counting on someone being there to read the thing. Ever hear of a medic alert bracelet? Apparently a great many Thai rescue workers and police haven't. Won't distress you with some of the horror stories. One solution is to take a copy of your passport face page, add in some key details and then laminate it, keeping it in a pocket separate from the wallet. Pockets are searched on bodies, but baubles, chains, and other things often go missing between the pickup and the delivery of the body or corpse.

Well, having checked out some of the dogtag websites and products, I decided to make my own medic ID tags, featuring a lanyard version (to hang around your neck or around your car rear-view mirror), a keyring version (for your car or motorbike), and a version that can be slipped into a wallet or handbag. All professionally manufactured and laminated, with all neccessary ID/insurance details etc.

I showed some of these tags to my colleagues and they all wanted them! (So that piece of serious market research seemed to work ok..)

Anyway, I am just designing the product website, where you will be able to enter your specific ID and insurance details, pay online, and have your 3 types of tag manufactured within 24 hours and shipped via EMS to your front door :)

Since I'm sure that ThaiVisa doesn't appreciate unpaid advertising, I will not give the website address, but hope to sort out some banner ads etc in the next week or so.

Simon

Doesn't your insurance company issue you with a credit card sized card to stick in your wallet?

Well, having checked out some of the dogtag websites and products, I decided to make my own medic ID tags, featuring a lanyard version (to hang around your neck or around your car rear-view mirror), a keyring version (for your car or motorbike), and a version that can be slipped into a wallet or handbag. All professionally manufactured and laminated, with all neccessary ID/insurance details etc.

I showed some of these tags to my colleagues and they all wanted them! (So that piece of serious market research seemed to work ok..)

Anyway, I am just designing the product website, where you will be able to enter your specific ID and insurance details, pay online, and have your 3 types of tag manufactured within 24 hours and shipped via EMS to your front door :)

Since I'm sure that ThaiVisa doesn't appreciate unpaid advertising, I will not give the website address, but hope to sort out some banner ads etc in the next week or so.

Simon

Will you be offering both Thai and English language script Simon? Something like a luggage tag?

Anyhow, best of luck with your endeavour.

mca, as my broker pointed out, it is extremely easy to overlook the insurer's card in your wallet. My 5-star insurer i(international company) provides a nondescript card that would not stand out even if they employed 26 brightly dressed clowns to point directly at it! In any case, my tags provide additional details, such as contact telephone numbers for employer, next of kin etc.

Lannarebirth, the test samples that I made were very well received by some colleagues and orders requested by them. I have registered a domain name and spent half today writing code etc. Thai script will be supported. My intention is to offer these tags for both a Thai and overseas market.

Just another small business idea to get the bahts rolling in :)

Simon

My 5-star insurer i(international company) provides a nondescript card that would not stand out even if they employed 26 brightly dressed clowns to point directly at it!

I could imagine the ambulance. The doors would keep falling off and there'd be a massive smoke bomb explosion from under the bonnet. Not too far from reality looking at the state of the temple ambulances near me.

" Excuse me Dr Coco. I'm no expert but surely the best way to deal with a heart attack victim isn't to squirt him in the face with water from a plastic rose on your lapel and throw buckets of confetti over him."

One reason for coming up with this tag idea is after speaking with our insurance broker. It was he who advised me and the other staff at my company to carry some sort of tag at all times because the staff at (an unnamed private hospital in Pattaya) often do not bother to look for an insurance card and prefer to insist on cash deposit before they will do anything to care for the patient, even if they are seriously injured. His advice was that besides having the insurance details clearly displayed on the tag, it should also carry the contact details of a friend who would be willing to put a 50,000 baht deposit down so that the hospital staff would do their job.

I would have my doubts about what our broker said, if it were not for the fact that we have encountered exactly this problem on 2 occasions in the past month. The first time the person had acute appendicitus and the second time they (same person!) had crushed their fingers after a motorbike accident. The fact that the hospital staff refused to budge without a cash deposit or were not interested in contacting the insurance company until the next morning convinced me of the need for such tags.

Simon

I still don't think you took into consideration the people that you are most likely to come into contact with the tags first. If there is no way of knowing what it is or its importance, then the first responder will ignore the item.Even when you are comatose in an ER where people should know better, the chances are that the nurse will cut it off and discard it.

The concept is good, no argument about that, medic Alert has been doing this with bracelets and dogtags for decades with great success in 25 countries. Unfortunately, TIT, so how will you get the people that count, to read the thing? Have you considered a test with some rescue squads, i.e. ask them what they would look for?

I suggest you look at what medic alert experience in Thailand. Medic Alert is supported in Malaysia, but not Thailand. Look at the Medic Alert dog tag experience in Thailand, before you sell someone a sense of false security. In Malaysia there was an joint effort by the non profit foundation using the resources of the University of Malaya, Medical Assoc. and Pharmacists Assoc. to educate hospitals and first responders. The typical body snatcher in Thailand isn't going to look at the thing or even think to look.

Geriatrickid, you have a very valid point. The tag that I have designed includes Thai text in large red letters to alert the rescue or medical staff to the importance of the tag.

MedicAlert is very good. But that is a rather simple and small tag. The tag that I have designed includes photo, colored text, red-cross symbol etc.

But I accept that education is needed to ensure that the body snatchers are aware of the importance of medical tags of any type.

Simon