Tourist Visa Expiring - What Are My Options ?

I am a citizen of Canada - aged 65 - I am living here ( Lamphun ) with my common law wife (Thai) waiting for Canada to process Immigration paperwork for us to permanently move to Canada together. This process should be complete soon, but could take anywhere from 2 months to 10 months. I am currently here on a 3 entry Tourist Visa ( since April 2) -- just used the third entry at Mae Sai on July 28 - so I am OK until September 25.

I got this Visa on the advice of the Royal Thai Consulate in Vancouver - they said Retirement Visa would take too long, and I could get a new 3 entry Tourist Visa while in Thailand.

How and where do I get a new 3 entry Tourist Visa ? Is this the best option ? I have heard about extensions, and also that I can convert to a Non-Imigrant Visa --- but do not know how or where to do this . Marriage is not an option for us here in Thailand -- her ID/passport says 'male' and can not be changed.

We have twice tried to get TRV ( Tourist Visa) for her for Canada -- but application was denied because they ( Embassy of Canada ) say that we should wait for Permanent Immigration authorization.

My Canadian passport expires November, 2010 -- I think all should be done before that. Any advice that I can get would be deeply appreciated

I am a citizen of Canada - aged 65 - I am living here ( Lamphun ) with my common law wife (Thai) waiting for Canada to process Immigration paperwork for us to permanently move to Canada together. This process should be complete soon, but could take anywhere from 2 months to 10 months. I am currently here on a 3 entry Tourist Visa ( since April 2) -- just used the third entry at Mae Sai on July 28 - so I am OK until September 25.

I got this Visa on the advice of the Royal Thai Consulate in Vancouver - they said Retirement Visa would take too long, and I could get a new 3 entry Tourist Visa while in Thailand.

How and where do I get a new 3 entry Tourist Visa ? Is this the best option ? I have heard about extensions, and also that I can convert to a Non-Imigrant Visa --- but do not know how or where to do this . Marriage is not an option for us here in Thailand -- her ID/passport says 'male' and can not be changed.

We have twice tried to get TRV ( Tourist Visa) for her for Canada -- but application was denied because they ( Embassy of Canada ) say that we should wait for Permanent Immigration authorization.

My Canadian passport expires November, 2010 -- I think all should be done before that. Any advice that I can get would be deeply appreciated

If you can show either 800000bt in the bank or 65000 per month in a pension the retirement route is pretty stright forward and will normally only take a day.

1. You can not obtain a tourist visa of any kind inside Thailand. The best choice outside is Vientiane for a two entry. You can likely do several times if required (free now). You could also likely obtain a non immigrant O visa but that would have a fee.

2. If you have 800k in Thai bank for two months or letter from your Embassy of 65k per month income you could convert from tourist visa to non immigrant and then extend your stay for a year at Immigration. It would be severl trips over a 2 month period however and cost 3,900 baht plus Embassy fee for letter and require you report every 90 days and obtain a re-entry permit for any travel.

3. If time drags on remember your passport requires six month validity for visa issue - a new one can be obtained from Embassy if required.

lop, i accept your comments, but my post was more about what good is a passport for a lady if it reads Male ? it cannot be used i guess and may even be considered as a fake. this guy says he is waiting to take the lady back to Canada. how can she travel on such a passport ?

It is not a fake and obviously can be used. She can easily explain that Thailand does not allow sex change information on documents. When in doubt officials ask these days as there are a large number of people that may not be as they appear and how they appear may not be how they were born. Real world.

To the best my knowledge, it was an admin error ( hospital or registration ) when she was born -- and yes she is female, and not a sex change . Thai government refuses to change the ID -- they will only say that many have this problem -- I guess all kathoey that have had sex change and all who were subject to Thai admin incompetence !

Passport works fine -- it has been accepted in Hong Kong, Singapore and Myanmar without question.

Any input on the extension idea ?

2. If you have 800k in Thai bank for two months or letter from your Embassy of 65k per month income you could convert from tourist visa to non immigrant and then extend your stay for a year at Immigration. It would be severl trips over a 2 month period however and cost 3,900 baht plus Embassy fee for letter and require you report every 90 days and obtain a re-entry permit for any travel.

Thanks lopburi for good input --- you say "several trips" --- to where ? --- and report to where every 90 days? I live in the farmland of Lamphun !

What is a non-immigrant O Visa --- sorry to be a complete moron !

A non immigrant O (other reasons) is what you get to apply for retirement extension of stay. It allows a 90 day stay. Being over age 50 most Consulates will issue.

You would have to extend at the immigration office serving your area and report there (can be by mail) every 90 days. There is a list in the useful information pinned item at top of page.

The reason for several trips - if making a visa change they normally have you come back 60 days later for the one year extension of stay. It may also involve two trips to Embassy to obtain the income letters if you are using that method.

"...just used the third entry at Mae Sai on July 28 - so I am OK until September 25."

Shouldn't the OP be eligible for a 30 day extension on his current stay?

If so, it could be done at an immigration office in Thailand.

More to the point, what does Canadian immigration and the embassy have to say about the situation as it relates to the apparent discrepancy? No mention was made on what basis the OP applied to take his 'male' common law wife to Canada.

Canadain Immigration is fine with all of this (as long as she is human) -- we are applying with me a spousal sponsor -- the category for her is 'Conjugal Partner ' -- under Canadian law -- a spouse can be same or opposite sex -- legally married, common law ( 1 year ), or equivalent to common law ( conjugal partner -- i.e. can not live together full time due to extenuating circumstances)

Just a note about change of gender in documentation.

It is possible if the person undergoes tests that prove he/she has been born of a different gender than recorded.

It involves tests and a short civil court case. Based on the test results the court will issue an order to the local/relevant admin office to make the required changes.

It happened to a girl (distant relative of my wife's family) about 6 or 7 years ago when she applied for her first ID card. Took about 6 months to resolve and correct everything.

Her birth-certificate stated male, her parents not being well educated, apparently nobody detected the mistake until she applied for an ID.

opalhort

Just a note about change of gender in documentation.

It is possible if the person undergoes tests that prove he/she has been born of a different gender than recorded.

It involves tests and a short civil court case. Based on the test results the court will issue an order to the local/relevant admin office to make the required changes.

It happened to a girl (distant relative of my wife's family) about 6 or 7 years ago when she applied for her first ID card. Took about 6 months to resolve and correct everything.

Her birth-certificate stated male, her parents not being well educated, apparently nobody detected the mistake until she applied for an ID.

opalhort

Tks opalhart for the input -- it's been to court once several years ago ( and denied as inadequate evidence) ) -- but I will seek a lawyer for advice about what evidence can be presented now -- maybe with newer DNA/ genetic testing , it is possible.

Thanks to all for your help -- I was gone for a few days -- TOT was offline for us -- I will use all info you have given to me .