"thai Family Book"

coalminer

When I meet my girlfriend, I was still in a divorce since 16 years and thus a legal marriage was out of the question.

After living together for 2 years, although my GF had always been saying that she "was cut" and could not have a baby anymore, we had a wonderful baby.

When we went to the Amphur in Chaiyaphum to put the baby in the family book, I was written as the father but only my surname was written.

Two years later, I was finaly divorced from my first wife and we could finaly have our own wedding.

We went to the whole process, a Thai marraige at the Amphur, a marriage at "the Amphur" in my home country and, accepting and legalizing the child.

The documents we received from my home country clearly shows that we are legaly married (both names and surnames written in the "Family Book") and have a child (again with both names and surnames of the parents written in the "Family Book").

We went to the local Amphur in Chaiyaphum to "update" the "Family Book (tabian ban)", but the guy at the desk (one of the unfriendliest persons I had ever seen in Thailand) said that an update was not needed.

I have seen many "Family books (tabian ban)" from other foreigners, and all of them are registrered as a full family member (husband of mrs "x") and their children are registrered with the full name of the father.

Note: my wife is registrered as the owner of the house.

Why is my wife's "Family book" not updated and is my name not registrered?

I also heard from many foreigners that they have applied for a "Yellow Family Book" and have obtained it.

What is a "Yellow Family Book" and how to apply for it?

TIA

(Note for the Mod's: if this thread is not in the appropriate forum, please move it to another forum.)

It's not the book of the family, it's just the book of the "address".

You can register anyone into the address. If you are registered, it mean you are the resident of such address, you vote in such district etc. You have to request the register specially for yourself. What you did is just the input of personal detail for the baby.

In fact when you marry some one you don't have to officially move into the same address

It's not the book of the family, it's just the book of the "address".

You can register anyone into the address. If you are registered, it mean you are the resident of such address, you vote in such district etc. You have to request the register specially for yourself. What you did is just the input of personal detail for the baby.

In fact when you marry some one you don't have to officially move into the same address

My child and another family member are clearly marked as "non habitant" and my child is residing since birth at a different address than the "Family book (Thor Bor 14)" stipuates.

Yet. all the Thai members are named with Family name, surname and ID-Card number.

I have seen many "Family books (tabian ban)" from other foreigners, and all of them are registrered as a full family member (husband of mrs "x") and their children are registrered with the full name of the father.

Are you sure? My wife, a non-Thai citizen, isn't mentioned in my tabieen baan as 'wife of Mr Samran'.

The only place my wife is mentioned in the blue tabieen baan is as the mother to our two daughters. I doubt you'd be able to get on it unless it is in the capacity of being a father to your child.

My wife is listed on a seperate version of the tabieen baan, a yellow one which is designed for people who don't have permanent residence in Thailand (only people with PR or Thai citizenship get on the blue one).

A long thread in the housing and realestate section on how to go about getting a yellow one.

Edited by samran

Its best to go to the Amphur with the Blue book and your passport. You will need copies of your passport visa page and photo page. They want about 3 copies of each. Then when you hand all that in , they put all the paperwork together and it is passed to 3 or 4 different desk and eventually the big boss of th eAmphur office signs the paperwork. Then that is put into an envelope and you take it to the Immigration office. They look through all the paperwork and tell you to come back in a week or so to collect from them. I was told to go back in 10 days. Then once you have that paperwork all sorted from Immigration , you take the paperwork back to the Amphur and a yellow house registration book will be issued in YOUR name. Get them to put on your Yellow Book that you are Number 1 living at that address. Not easy for anyone to get you out .

Good luck.

Its best to go to the Amphur with the Blue book and your passport. You will need copies of your passport visa page and photo page. They want about 3 copies of each. Then when you hand all that in , they put all the paperwork together and it is passed to 3 or 4 different desk and eventually the big boss of th eAmphur office signs the paperwork. Then that is put into an envelope and you take it to the Immigration office. They look through all the paperwork and tell you to come back in a week or so to collect from them. I was told to go back in 10 days. Then once you have that paperwork all sorted from Immigration , you take the paperwork back to the Amphur and a yellow house registration book will be issued in YOUR name. Get them to put on your Yellow Book that you are Number 1 living at that address. Not easy for anyone to get you out .

Good luck.

Thanks for the information.

Cannot help it, but it seems all too easy.

Reading the thread about the Yellow Book and the hostile encounter I had with several Government employees at the Amphur and the Land Department in Chaiyaphum, I doubt that I will get that Yellow Book that easy.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information.

Cannot help it, but it seems all too easy.

Reading the thread about the Yellow Book and the hostile encounter I had with several Government employees at the Amphur and the Land Department in Chaiyaphum, I doubt that I will get that Yellow Book that easy.

You could move--although, in fairness, most Ampur staff in backwoods towns seem hostile--and not only to farang [ petty bureaucrat syndrome]

• 10 months later...

I was talking to a friend of mine last week who mentioned the "Thai Family Book",he seemed to know a little about the reason to have one or be placed on one.

I am married legally to a Thai lady,officially,and would like to know the ins and outs,pitfalls benefite ,is it worth it,does it make any difference to your status ie immigration visa etc etc.

Any info would be informative anyway.

Thanks KC

I was talking to a friend of mine last week who mentioned the "Thai Family Book",he seemed to know a little about the reason to have one or be placed on one.

I am married legally to a Thai lady,officially,and would like to know the ins and outs,pitfalls benefite ,is it worth it,does it make any difference to your status ie immigration visa etc etc.

Any info would be informative anyway.

Thanks KC

As far as Im aware it gives you no additional punch in matters of visas/immigration issues. I got a yellow book too, be legal and to cut out all the crap when trying to purchase things where prove of address is required ( Saves letters from embassies) Car, bike ect.

Edited by Tonto21