Traffic Accident Thailand

papa2459

I was stopped in the road waiting to make a right hand turn.  Just as oncoming traffic ceased and i started to turn, a motorcycle driver tried to pass me on the right and hit my door.  He hit me in the oncoming lane.

The driver broke his ankle and was carted off.  THe police questioned the rider and she admitted that they tried to pass on the right hand side of me.  Then the police asked her if he had a license.  No.  Did he have insurance.  No.  They asked me the same.  I had both.  So they ended up giving me a ticket, telling my date that my insurance company could cover the driver for his broken ankle.

They ended up giving me a ticket for making a right-hand turn from the left lane.  I took photos to show that the left lane was full of cars, so I could not have been driving there and could only drive from the inner, right-hand lane.  I wanted to fight this, but the insurance company said it was only 2,000 baht, so let it go.

I got a ticket, but I have never been kept from coming into Thailand.  Nor do I have a record.

I have to agree with everything you mentioned here, even the point of being too lazy to get a Thai License. I have also heard about the 3 month limitation.

It something I'll have to do soon. Although, getting the letter of residence / address from the Embassy, getting the medical etc.. seems like a lot of effort for a drivers license that lasts only one year.

It only last a year for the first year, then 5 years after that.. :)

Not always.

I've had 3 licences now and all for a year a time :D

Edited by G54

I have to agree with everything you mentioned here, even the point of being too lazy to get a Thai License. I have also heard about the 3 month limitation.

It something I'll have to do soon. Although, getting the letter of residence / address from the Embassy, getting the medical etc.. seems like a lot of effort for a drivers license that lasts only one year.

It only last a year for the first year, then 5 years after that.. :D

Not always.

I've had 3 licences now and all for a year a time :D

I had Thai licences for one year and after for 5 years, seems daft to me any one who wants to ride motorbike/ drive car in Thailand dont make the effort to obtain Thai licence saves lot of trouble. Myself having been stopped a few times by BIB show Thai licence and off I go, never ever paid any tea money........maybe just lucky :)