Driving Around Thailand

spysee

Hi,

about 5 of us want to drive around Thailand as a adventure. We want to start from Bangkok, for east then through Isaan, Chiang Mai then west down to Phuket and then back to Bangkok.

We will do this in October and thinking about doing this in 2 weeks. Just want to know does anyone have previous experience driving around Thailand?

Also since its a long drive, I don't want to use my car and put kms on it, Any suggestions on where I can get a good van? Maybe even a camper van?

Thanks

Now that sounds adventure

Hi,

about 5 of us want to drive around Thailand as a adventure. We want to start from Bangkok, for east then through Isaan, Chiang Mai then west down to Phuket and then back to Bangkok.

We will do this in October and thinking about doing this in 2 weeks. Just want to know does anyone have previous experience driving around Thailand?

Also since its a long drive, I don't want to use my car and put kms on it, Any suggestions on where I can get a good van? Maybe even a camper van?

Thanks

When my folks visited I took a Toyota Commuter from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. That was a nice scenic trip once you got out of Khon Kaen and into the hills.

The van was practically brand new and about 1800 baht a day (self drive). It held 11 people with luggage but seeing as there were only 8 of us was very comfy and was quite happy cruising at 100km/h.

You can make that in 5 days, if you want to, or in 1 year.

I once drove my car 3 months partly in Isan and Central Thailand and have by far not seen all I wanted.

October is the month with a lot of rain. Consider that many roads could be flooded.

So, if I would be you, I would just drive in one part of Thailand in this 2 weeks to experience that part better than a little bit of all, preferable weather-wise the North should be best.

Thats a nice map there Bungla. I might have to steel it for my website...just kidding Thaivisa folks.

Yeah 250km's a day sounds like hel_l, especially when we will be drinking most nights.

So maybe 3 weeks is doable. If I cut Phuket out it ill be 220km per day which is not too bad

You can make that in 5 days, if you want to, or in 1 year.

I once drove my car 3 months partly in Isan and Central Thailand and have by far not seen all I wanted.

October is the month with a lot of rain. Consider that many roads could be flooded.

So, if I would be you, I would just drive in one part of Thailand in this 2 weeks to experience that part better than a little bit of all, preferable weather-wise the North should be best.

I plan maybe not to go down south now, just east then Chiang Mai, then Hua hin then back. Still about 200km per day.

I think it would be more fun to do a trip that I only spend a night or 2 max then hit the road to the next place.

2-3 weeks will be great I think

I plan maybe not to go down south now, just east then Chiang Mai, then Hua hin then back. Still about 200km per day.

I think it would be more fun to do a trip that I only spend a night or 2 max then hit the road to the next place.

2-3 weeks will be great I think

More reasonable. I think adding the southern portion of the trip made it very unreasonable. I've done that drive and it's looooooong.

I did that a few years ago .... the plan being to try and follow the land border as much as we could. From here we drove to Surat, Chumphon, Bangkok, Pattaya, Koh Chang, up the Cambodian border etc etc and basically all the way round back down to where I am here in the south. We took 12 days (some of which had a lot of km's) due to time restraints but it was very enjoyable indeed. For your trip though, a fortnight maybe just a little too short timewise but still doable. As for camper vans ...... never seen one here.

Go for it and enjoy. :)

I did that a few years ago .... the plan being to try and follow the land border as much as we could. From here we drove to Surat, Chumphon, Bangkok, Pattaya, Koh Chang, up the Cambodian border etc etc and basically all the way round back down to where I am here in the south. We took 12 days (some of which had a lot of km's) due to time restraints but it was very enjoyable indeed. For your trip though, a fortnight maybe just a little too short timewise but still doable. As for camper vans ...... never seen one here.

Go for it and enjoy. :)

My wife says no camper-vans, no RVs in Thailand. One reason is that there aren't any of the necessary facilities around the country. I think it'd be really difficult for a tourist to take a right-side-drive vehicle of that size around the small roads.

I did a 4 week road trip with my family in Jan. 2009

It was about 4 weeks too short.

We thought we would get to see all of Thailand and were disappointed that the 4 weeks went by so fast and we had to get back to our home.

We only got to see from Bangkok west to the floating markets, bridge over the river Kwai and then up the west coast to the mountain towns, then Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle and then it was time to head home.

We camped out about every third night and my family loved that (Thai wife and 4 year old boy)

I would take the GPS.

If you don't want to use it for navigation on the roads, fine.

But when you get to towns, you can find the nearest gas stations, hotels, restaurants, ATM machines, or any points of interest by using the "find" feature.

I agree it's good to get lost when you are out there exploring. You see the real Thai people that way and don't plan much.

But when you finally get to town for the night, you don't want to drive around congested areas looking for gas, ATM's, or hotels.

Have fun. It's hard not too in this country.

I did a 10 day road trip from Chiang Mai-Bkk-Huahin-Phuket-Huahin-Chiang Mai, 4 of the days were long driving days(7-9 hours approx) but it was great, me and the Mrs really enjoyed it as the scenery is amazing. Were planning another longer trip for xmas. Hope you enjoy your adventure. Forget the GPS, get lost a few times it adds to the fun!!!

2 weeks is not enough. you will only see highway.

bangkok - isan (khon kaen?) - chiang mai - phuket - bangkok... that's 3500 km.. 250 km per day :D

http://www.guidetothailand.com/maps-thaila...ap-distance.php

Bangkok - Chiang Mai = 700 KM and 8 Hrs with some short Stops

So I would not give a lot to this 250 KM/day Calculation But I was travelling through whole Thailand with 2 Friend in 1990 and it took us 3 Month :)

2 weeks is not enough. you will only see highway.

bangkok - isan (khon kaen?) - chiang mai - phuket - bangkok... that's 3500 km.. 250 km per day :D

http://www.guidetothailand.com/maps-thaila...ap-distance.php

Bangkok - Chiang Mai = 700 KM and 8 Hrs with some short Stops

So I would not give a lot to this 250 KM/day Calculation But I was travelling through whole Thailand with 2 Friend in 1990 and it took us 3 Month :D

i think they will stay in chiang mai for a few days so on average it's still 250 km a day :)

Also I won't take my GPS, I just want to use a mao as it will be more fum. Well maybe I will take it for an emergency if we get totally lost.

Are you aware that 'mao' means drunk in Thai? You want to use a drunk person rather than GPS? OMG! :)

Road maps are good enough dude, and less annoying. Consider the distances involved in your original plan...2 weeks...IMO too many kilometres unless you love the interior of your vehicle! My suggestion would be travel Isaan and Chiang Mai...or...Chiang Mai and the south. Do loads of research online too before making your decision. You like national parks , waterfalls and mountains...do Isaan-CM.

You like national parks, waterfalls, mountains and the beach...do CM-south Thailand.

One other thing..I have definately, 100% seen camper vans based on brand new pick-ups, 'for sale' in Thailand on the net somewhere. I would imagine someone would have a business renting them somewhere. Do your research. In fact i'm gonna have a look myself in a minute.

Good luck and just watch out when driving in this country...some nut nuts on the roads here!

Thanks for you info's, I hope my driver isn't mao either.

I plan to go to Ubon first, then to Isaan, then Chiang Mai then back to Bangkok.

If it takes me longer then 3 weeks then so be it.

I will take a map, GPS (only for emergencies), a few tents, loads of beer and a video camera.

With a few mates it should be fun.

I would like to see everything, might do the Phuket drive in Feb though.

Two weeks is not enough time to enjoy the trip. You are looking at about 5,000 kilometers. Driving 600 kilometers in a day and trying to enjoy it is impossible. No doubt you will find places where you want to spend a couple of days and making up that time would be more like work than a holiday.

Gary, read post #18. I don't think OP's time is restricted to 2 weeks mate.

To spysee, RE: post #18: Nakhorn Ratchasima, A.K.A Korat is known as the gateway to Isaan. Once you pass there, youz in Isaanland dude. North east Thailand = Isaan. It's not a special little place. It's a special big place.

Regards,

bc

Hi,

Thanks

My humble opinion:

you have about 6 weeks left. If everybody learns about 10 words a day, the group can master more than 2000 words. Next try to find an area where nobody understands your vocab. In that area , there still might be some adventure in Thailand.

Next: decide what you want: drive around highways or use the sandy roads and discover what many tourists have never seen. I have found such a spot and tell nobody.

Find a place on a map that has rivers and or water and a lot of differences in height. Do a stretch of main road and then take one of the sandy roads left or right. Maybe you will not do many miles per day, but adventure is guaranteed. Look out for snakes and elephants (especially the lonely ones) and always carry lots of water (5l a day pp), food, flashlights and a few shovels. Avoid tourist areas.

If you do this, you might see more of Thailand than many farang who stay for ten years in Pattaya. Make sure you do not end up there (though you probably will) because later you will see it as time lost.

If one or more of you fall in love, go home, think for a few months and go back. Do not be pushed.

Hi,

Thanks

I'm glad you started this thread because I was just planning the same trip: Starting route, generally (Bkk - Korat - Ubon - Udorn - Petchabun/Pitsanulok - Sukhothai - Lamphang/Lamphun - Chiang Mai). Return route, generally (Chiang Mai - Tak - Nakhon Sawan - Lop Buri - Ayutthaya - Bkk).

I, too, plan to 'see the land' and won't be under a time constraint. I'll be driving my own 4x4 but do plan to find nightly hotel accommodations. I look to drive in 2 - 3 hour spurts (at the most) and stopping and getting a feel of the locales in all the above cities as well as whatever other interesting sites/places we come upon.

I hope you regularly post your progress on this thread as you make this trip so I and others will be able to follow your adventures in real time!

Edited by Ahnsahn

Hi,

Thanks

I'm glad you started this thread because I was just planning the same trip: Starting route, generally (Bkk - Korat - Ubon - Udorn - Petchabun/Pitsanulok - Sukhothai - Lamphang/Lamphun - Chiang Mai). Return route, generally (Chiang Mai - Tak - Nakhon Sawan - Lop Buri - Ayutthaya - Bkk).

I, too, plan to 'see the land' and won't be under a time constraint. I'll be driving my own 4x4 but do plan to find nightly hotel accommodations. I look to drive in 2 - 3 hour spurts (at the most) and stopping and getting a feel of the locales in all the above cities as well as whatever other interesting sites/places we come upon.

I hope you regularly post your progress on this thread as you make this trip so I and others will be able to follow your adventures in real time!

That will be a nice trip. It's not too stretched and you will have a wonderful time.

Highway 1 up to Northern Thailand is the best IMO (the road and the views). The northernmost roads from, say, the Golden Triangle area over through CR, over towards Fang and then over towards Pai, and westward to Mae Hong Son are my favorite drives.

I've driven them all (Hwy 1,2,3,4) with the exception of having only driven to Korat on Highway 2 (Isarn just doesn't do it for me - but someday I'll do that sleeper of a drive if not just to do it).

Highway 4 down to Phuket - ugh that is brutal and dangerous (danger? Thailand? Roads? No...). I don't think I'll ever drive that route again. (Nissan Navarra suspension = puke-fest)

Highway 3 - meh.

About the car/van rental: I would rent a couple of 4x4 SUVs instead (or 4x4 Pickup trucks) - that way you can get off the path, and like another poster said, see many things that you likely wouldn't see otherwise. 2 SUVs, a couple of 2-way radios, gear, that's about right for a 5-person outing.

Truth be told, I think the best type of car/truck for an all-around Thailand run would be an AWD wagon with some guts for the super-fun Northern roads.... something like a Subaru Outback, Volvo X-country, Audi Allroad - manual transmission of course! (good luck finding one.... ) Winding roads + Toyota Commuter van = :) for the driver and :D for the passengers.....

I hope you have an awesome time - I love driving around Thailand (or anywhere in the world) and I hope you see/experience everything to the fullest in those 2 short weeks :D

Take lots of pictures and report back!

Highway 1 up to Northern Thailand is the best IMO (the road and the views). The northernmost roads from, say, the Golden Triangle area over through CR, over towards Fang and then over towards Pai, and westward to Mae Hong Son are my favorite drives.

I've driven them all (Hwy 1,2,3,4) with the exception of having only driven to Korat on Highway 2 (Isarn just doesn't do it for me - but someday I'll do that sleeper of a drive if not just to do it).

Highway 4 down to Phuket - ugh that is brutal and dangerous (danger? Thailand? Roads? No...). I don't think I'll ever drive that route again. (Nissan Navarra suspension = puke-fest)

Highway 3 - meh.

About the car/van rental: I would rent a couple of 4x4 SUVs instead (or 4x4 Pickup trucks) - that way you can get off the path, and like another poster said, see many things that you likely wouldn't see otherwise. 2 SUVs, a couple of 2-way radios, gear, that's about right for a 5-person outing.

Truth be told, I think the best type of car/truck for an all-around Thailand run would be an AWD wagon with some guts for the super-fun Northern roads.... something like a Subaru Outback, Volvo X-country, Audi Allroad - manual transmission of course! (good luck finding one.... ) Winding roads + Toyota Commuter van = :) for the driver and :D for the passengers.....

I hope you have an awesome time - I love driving around Thailand (or anywhere in the world) and I hope you see/experience everything to the fullest in those 2 short weeks :D

Now this is a true road traveller, IMHO! :D Excellent points, and observations.......Thanx for sharing!

Let's hope he doesn't 'just report back' but lets encourage him to keep this thread (and all of us) updated throughout his trip (as much as possible) with the thought that hundreds of us will be here monitoring his every trek and post!

Highway 3 - meh.

How would you compare the frequency/quality of the fuel stations along Routes 1, 3 (what's meh?) and 4? Are there good eating places equally along these routes?

Thanks Ahnsahn, and you're welcome too! I hope the OP also reports regularly throughout his trip - I love road trips and it's fun to see what others see when they are traveling (because we all view life through our own lens).

And to thailoht:

Sorry, "meh" is American slang, youngish slang actually - it basically means, well meh. LOL. Just say it and you know what it means... kind of like indifference to something. Not great, not bad, no real opinion - that's meh.

I would say Highway 1 has the most petrol stations, cities en-route, best roads, etc.

Highway 4 doesn't have as many stations as highway 1, but adequate - the roads are just so so dark on Highway 4 and the roads are really beat up from the big trucks going to/from BKK/Phuket. I swear some big shot politicians must live up on Highway 1, because some of the roads are huge and fantastic, in even some strange areas where there isn't much traffic... (parts of Pechabun, Phitsunalok).

Highway 3, there are definitely fewer petrol stations on this route. Actually I ran out of diesel once on this Highway (yes, I guess it was my own fault, I tend to try to run a tank from full to empty and will end up running on fumes just to see how many kilometers I can get out of a tank (not that I really care, but it's a stupid game I play with myself). And I don't recall so many towns and there are some longer stretches of nothingness on Highway 3... kind of boring in my opinion.

So overall, Highway 1 wins in my opinion. I just love it. Especially up near Lampang. And the END of Highway one is hilarious, near the border - it's just a U-turn and then you go back south. hahahaha. Kind of anti-climactic, but there are some characters in that area if you like to people-watch.

Sorry I cannot give much info on the eating on these routes. I have a pretty sensitive stomach and I hate squat toilets - So I pack a cooler of yoghurt and bananas and water... Tesco in Saraburi has the best grape yogurt and they also have the banana-chocolate Pocky which is so elusive in Bangkok!

Also, one more tip for the travelers who just find accommodation on the spot. I've found that "apartments" are by far the cleanest and cheapest places. Lampang, for instance - hotels were booked when I drove up there (over Xmas) and I looked all over the little town. I think one of the hotels was maybe 2500/night and they had a room. I asked to see it first, and it was pretty dank and old. I asked the lady at the desk if there was any other type of accommodation in town and she suggested an "apartment" (basically condos, but rented on a daily, monthly, weekly basis, etc.) up the street. It was only 400 baht a night and it was very very clean. Just a studio apt, but fully furnished. I stayed there on the way up north and on the way back down to Bangkok.

In Chiang Rai, hotels were also booked, so I had the grand idea to stay at a "maan root" - you know those little sex hotels where you drive your car in and they close the curtain? haha my gf (Western Farang) had never been in one so it was kind of funny, but I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of it as they are pretty shady.

In Pai, again the hotels were booked (we had previously stayed at the Belle Villa - nice enough place) so we slept in the bed of my Mitsubishi Triton under the stars at a campsite (all of the tents were already rented out - by this time it was New Year's. That was awesome under the stars... a bit cold but we had sleeping bags and some gear. That was really fun.... and the other campers were all very chill people. That was one of my best road trips.

So those are some tips, I hope they can help someone!

Hi,

Thanks

Attached is a 10-day trip map a friend of mine did a few months ago.

Mac

post-32650-1249919153_thumb.jpg