Fear Of Heights/falling

eek

This probably sounds quite strange..but i have an irrational fear regarding falling from a height.

Thing is, i was a rock climber for many years with my ex, but i felt fine even at quite a height purely because i felt secure (harness). However, free soloing (without use of harness), even at short heights would often result in my joints locking in fear.

I also feel somewhat fine at great heights on a building balcony IF the wall is solid and doesnt have gaps. However, even if the height is lower and the balcony is say made of iron with lots of gaps I feel quite sick. Same with tall buildings that have wall to floor glass. I even feel sick thinking about it.

What happens mainly is I keep getting a constant image of falling out/falling down.

Its starting to bother me because I recently gave up on moving to a really nice apartment with a great view, purely because i couldnt handle the balcony (even though i really want to!).

I have read about fear of heights on google, but not anything that seems to fluctuate in this way. Some things frighten me, others im fine with. The main suggestions i read is thinking rationally and taking deep breaths..but i still get those images going through my head. Crazy uh. :):D

Anyone have similar experiences? What methods have you tried?

Any advice?

Thank you.

This probably sounds quite strange..but i have an irrational fear regarding falling from a height.

Thing is, i was a rock climber for many years with my ex, but i felt fine even at quite a height purely because i felt secure (harness). However, free soloing (without use of harness), even at short heights would often result in my joints locking in fear.

I also feel somewhat fine at great heights on a building balcony IF the wall is solid and doesnt have gaps. However, even if the height is lower and the balcony is say made of iron with lots of gaps I feel quite sick. Same with tall buildings that have wall to floor glass. I even feel sick thinking about it.

What happens mainly is I keep getting a constant image of falling out/falling down.

Its starting to bother me because I recently gave up on moving to a really nice apartment with a great view, purely because i couldnt handle the balcony (even though i really want to!).

I have read about fear of heights on google, but not anything that seems to fluctuate in this way. Some things frighten me, others im fine with. The main suggestions i read is thinking rationally and taking deep breaths..but i still get those images going through my head. Crazy uh. :):D

Any advice?

Thank you.

Try to stick with TV since the intelligence of most posters and replies are very low

just like mine :D

This is gonna sound strange too, but you could replace the fear by boredom: Find a balcony or other place that scares you as you describe, sit there and do nothing as long as necessary to feel bored. If you feel scared, force yourself to stay sitting and wait, eventually as nothing happens the fear should go away and boredom settle in. Repeat the process several times until the fear is gone for good.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Me, too! I crouch down when looking over the railing of the Panthip Plaza parking garage, I do like to check the klong when there. Do the same on balconies much above ground.

FYI, I used to do a bit of skydiving in the U.S., Laos, and in Thailand, and no problem. Reckon it's the depth perception factor.

Cure, don't look over the railings!

Mac

Oddly enough, Eek, my experience is similar to yours. Way back in the middle ages, when I was young, I loved rock-climbing (still have my medicine for mountaineers book lol). Bur free-climbs? No way. I eventually got to the point where I was only bouldering. Now, skyscrapers make me dizzy, balconies too.

Acrophobia is a neurosis, and it can be made manageable, if not cured. There are some simple tricks, like sitting in a chair in an uncomfortable area and pushing the back of your head into the chair. But that would only give symptom relief.

I'd suggest you go to a licensed phobia therapist or even a licensed hypnotist - there are ways to get over it.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks all. Actually its kind of a relief to know that others experience a similar version.

I can see the point about depth perception possibly being the culprit too. When i think about it, i realise my vision goes quite strange when i have the fear. Sometimes feels like the ground bounces, moves closer to me, or swims a bit.

Thanks too Noavail.. will take a look what resources are around.

I have also suffered from symptoms very similar to the ones you describe so don't feel unique in this respect - I'm perfectly OK in very tall buildings but as soon as there is nothing between me and the wide blue yonder, yikes, it's almost panic attack time. My very worst experience of this was when taking the elevator up the Eiffel Tower in Paris and getting out on the first level and realizing that when I looked down I could see the ground between the metal grill work, an absolute nightmare!

As for cures: one of my remedies was to buy a condo on the 16th floor of a high rise, although I didn't buy it just to cure this particular problem, I bought it because it was a great place to live and I loved the condo. Living there for a few years allowed me to go out on the balconies whenever I wanted and to break myself into the idea of living that high up, very slowly and at my own pace. It worked, after a few months I was able to wander about on the balconies without any major problems although I was always just a little nervous about being there - I guess it's a case of becoming acclimatized or conditioned, at your own pace.

Wow Chiang Mai, talk about going in at the deep end!

The replies have been most helpful. I will take on two approaches i think regarding this: the steadily attempting to acclimatize myself; and look into finding a good hypnotist. (Considered hypnotism in the past, but the idea freaks me out a little!)

Note: please grammar police dont bring me down for i have used the semi-colon incorrectly. :) Always get confused about that one. >.<

be of stout heart Eek you're in good company.

Despite loving flying, was going to be an RAF pilot, and travelling all over, I became an agoraphobic (which incorporates heights in my case). It's as if the world's not right. In fact that's not so.

The important thing to realize, really realize, is that nothing of your (or any) problem exists outside your head. Out there is only utter peace. (This is actually a great maxim and truth unbelieved by "normal" people too).

The problem is one of thinking. Thinking is self-talk, and you've got into the habit of automatically talking irrationally and unhealthily to yourself in certain habitual surroundings........as have I.

The way out is a repetitive challenging of the habit as in CBT cognitive behaviour therapy.

For this I highly recommend

"Panic Attacks Workbook: A Guided Program for Beating the Panic Trick" by David Carbonell.

It is an intelligent and insightful guide which will probably cure you if you apply it with energy. In fact there is no cure because you're not ill. You'd just be happier seeing things a little differently.

cheers John

ps just found Carbonell has a site

http://www.anxietycoach.com/panic.htm

Edited by sleepyjohn

Thanks sleepyjohn. Actually, im a great believer in CBT. I didnt think about that method in this circumstance. Didnt even think to bring it up or ask about it. So, im guessing what im feeling is a form of panic attack?

Thank you for the link and will look into your suggestion.

Oh, sorry, i forgot to say, wish the best of luck to everyone here who shares variations of this. Thanks again!

Edited by eek

Eek

I have exactly the same thing, I actually did fall off on a free form rock climb when I was much younger, I wasn't that far off the ground and only suffered a sprained ankle. I carried on pot-holing for years, but if there was no sturdy rope involved, I wasn't interested.

Now, high balconies freak me out if it isn't a solid high wall around it, I won't even go upstairs in some houses if the stairs are too steep. I had a barrel of laughs at Khao Phanom Rung coming down the steps on my backside.

I know it is only in my head and the chances of me actually throwing myself off are non-existent, but if I am somewhere high up, I do get visions of me taking a swan dive to the ground and cling to the wall...... and the only cure I've found is just avoiding some places like the plague.

I know it is only in my head and the chances of me actually throwing myself off are non-existent, but if I am somewhere high up, I do get visions of me taking a swan dive to the ground and cling to the wall...... and the only cure I've found is just avoiding some places like the plague.

OH i relate to that SO well!! I was actually reluctant to mention that part for fear of being a considered a complete loony..but i dont just get feelings of falling..i experience this panic that im going to loose control of myself and jump off. Im NOT suicidal!! Its a very alarming feeling.

As for the bum thing..you are not alone in that either.. :) Have to say though that pride makes me try to go up and down things like open spiral staircases on feet alone (but only if a short distance and a public place)...but my God my legs shake like mad and my hands get sore from the clench on the banister.

Feels rather humiliating.

Edited by eek

OH i relate to that SO well!! I was actually reluctant to mention that part for fear of being a considered a complete loony..but i dont just get feelings of falling..i experience this panic that im going to loose control of myself and jump off. Im NOT suicidal!! Its a very alarming feeling.

Yes it is alarming, it's the little voice saying 'what if, what if' ...... I've always won the argument, or I wouldn't be here, but I'd rather avoid having the argument just in case. So, some places I just won't go.

Fear of losing control and driving off the bridge, jumping off the roof, or whatever (and also fear of being considered a loony or looking stupid) are all part of the regular sack of symptoms shared by phobics all of whicih are illusory in nature.....and there are lots more you will recognise. They all need to be understood and challenged to evaporate them into the nothingness they came from. It's quite easy too.

They are all addressed in the book I mentioned. I'd offer you a copy but I think the writer deserves a sale. Amazon has it.

It not only theorises about all these things, it gets you actually writing down things to start rewiring your firmware.

With CBT you will often actually feel things changing in you on the spot.

Don't discard getting it from a book. In a good study one of the early CBT books was evaluated against actual person to person therapy. So called bibliotherapy came out just about even. But you need to make yourself a timetable and read and do the exercises in a moderately structured fashion. You also need to practise where the rubber meets the balcony. That's the best way in your case.

Always remember there utter peace everywhere except in your head.

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

Eek, I think we are related! I have exactly the same problem, high up balconys, spiral staircases etc. If I look over a balcony it seems as if the earth is rushing upwards towards me.

I have never lived anywhere higher than the second floor and even there I was reluctant to go on the balcony. Its a pity because I miss out on some of the gorgeous views of the Alps and the lake. But on the positive side - I can spy on my neighbours comings and goings much better!! I have become a curtain twitcher... with my strategically positioned computer, I see everything!! And they all wave at me!!

I don't have any solutions - I just like to feel comfortable in my environment, and if that means giving up on the sunrise or the sunset then so be it.

I have also suffered from symptoms very similar to the ones you describe so don't feel unique in this respect - I'm perfectly OK in very tall buildings but as soon as there is nothing between me and the wide blue yonder, yikes, it's almost panic attack time. My very worst experience of this was when taking the elevator up the Eiffel Tower in Paris and getting out on the first level and realizing that when I looked down I could see the ground between the metal grill work, an absolute nightmare!

had the same experience, I was realy paralized at the first floor, I pushed my back against the wall and shuffled my way back to the elevator. Even in when the airplane go's up I'm afraid to look out of the window. I lived in an appartment at the 6th floor and always was afraid when I stepped on the balcony, I can not even see a movie about rock climbing or a chase on the rooftops. I can not even stand on a ladder higher than 5 steps.

But know comes the most strange thing;

Know I'm living at the 25 th floor and I'm not afraid to stand on the balcony and even look below. But all my other symptoms remains the same. I wonder why?

Is it maybe that notthing hinders the view from my balcony, I only see a wide open space.

post-56342-1250393753_thumb.jpg

Is this maybe the reason?

But sometimes when I'm in the bed, suddenly I think about the balcony and I have an panic attack.

Does somebody have the same experiences, or am I just a nutcase?

Watch the Alfred Hitchcock classic movie VERTIGO with James Stewart and Kim Novak. It was and still might be available on youtube. The script dialog (but not the complete actual script) is online at

http://www.script-o-rama(dot)com/movie_scr...-hitchcock.html

Synopsis (Wikipedia): In the film, a retired police detective who suffers from acrophobia is hired as a private investigator to follow the wife of an acquaintance and uncover the mystery of her peculiar behavior. The film received mixed reviews upon initial release, but has garnered much acclaim since then and is now frequently ranked among the greatest films ever made.

I have read about fear of heights on google, but not anything that seems to fluctuate in this way. Some things frighten me, others im fine with. The main suggestions i read is thinking rationally and taking deep breaths..but i still get those images going through my head. Crazy uh. :D:D

Any advice?

Thank you.

Jump off a high rise,it will solve all your problems. :):D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Any advice?

Thank you.

Hi,

Very interesting thread, thanks to everyone for sharing.

I just thought I'd let you know that i too have a kind of 'variable vertigo' thing.

If I can see the ground through a grill or railings or whatever then my stomach seems to 'drop' and I can't think of anything else other than 'geez, how f***in far down is THAT!' it even happens if I see the same thing on TV from the comfort of my chair!

However, it doesn't happen when i'm in a tall building and there's some floor space between me and the drop, or I'm definitely INSIDE a structure, I feel fine, in fact i love being in tall buildings and can spend hours just looking at a cityscape from a skyscraper, fully aware of exactly how high up I am. Balconies aren't a problem, but if they have a grill you have to stand on....all I can do is look in terror at the ground head starts swimming and blood runs cold!

I reckon, from reading what everyone has written it must be the depth perception, I've never really sought any treatment for it as it doesn't really interfere with my life in any way at the moment.

Not sure how helpful this is to anyone but thought I'd share anyway

Edited by bifftastic

• 1 month later...

I never knew there were so many of us who thought like this, i work high up on oil refineries and am petrified to go near the edge, even going up the esculators in the shopping malls in Thailand were you can see several floors down petrifies me to the point i crouch down to avoid seeing over.

interesting to note that a number of height phobic people on this thread useta rockclimb...I useta meself and enjoyed a wild pendulum on occasion when rappelling down vertical granite...all roped in of course with someone capable on belay...

then, one day when working in the woods on rigging crew in Oregon I hadta go up the top of a 110 foot Skagit mobile spar to repair something; the method was to put a stick thru the eye of one of the lines then straddle it and be hoisted up...one hand holding onto the line and the other with a 5lb sledgehammer to do the work...nearly shit my pants...

needless to say that after that I looked at heights with a new perspective...now at work at site I have trouble at high elevation on boilers when looking down through the grating...can't wait to get down...

fcukit...I'm gonna retire soon... :)

Well..in all honestly ive taken no real practical steps in solving this. Its not an everyday occurrence, so its on the back burner. I guess its all about perceived danger. Thats why when having a climbing harness on and feeling in safe hands i can enjoy the experience rather than feel scared. I even want to try the Flight of the Gibbon trip they have in Chiang Mai, where you get to zipline through the forest. Funny how i (think I) would get an adrenalin rush from that, but still be petrified to stand over a several meters high open railed balcony. The mind is a crazy thing really!