Flight Delay - Emirates

game4shame

I flew to BKK from GLA in june with emirates.

the outbound flight was delayed due to a technical fault. flight was scheduled to leave at 14.15 but - after several re-scheduled departure times - didnt actually leave until 11.00 the following morning (resulting in a v grumpy game).

accommodation & breakfast was provided at the GLA holiday inn.

I wrote to emirates on my return and asked for some form of compensation - they offered 25000 skywards miles which Im led to believe is only enough to upgrade to business class from UK to dubai (one way).

I wrote back basically telling them to shove that offer up their backside and asked for a upgrade to business to BKK return.

emirates replied stating the original 25k skywards offer would be their limit.

so where do I stand with this? is there any standard compensation for lengthy delays? or is it just a case of take the 25k and be done with it?

cheers

game

:)

Take the air miles.

Emirates are NOT good at customer service. I used to be loyal with them; not any more.

They once sent me an email kicking me off a London Flight and told me to pick up one in Manchester.

They did not refund my travel expenses.

The mistake I made is this: They often send out emails 'bumping' passengers off flights for e-tickets. Never phone their hotline telephone number, the minute you do, they re-schedule your ticket automatically to another UK airport.

If you get an email. Don't respond, just turn up for your flight as normal in the U.K. By law they now have to compensate you for 'bumping'.

the outbound flight was delayed due to a technical fault. flight was scheduled to leave at 14.15 but - after several re-scheduled departure times - didnt actually leave until 11.00 the following morning (resulting in a v grumpy game).

I wrote to emirates on my return and asked for some form of compensation - they offered 25000 skywards miles which Im led to believe is only enough to upgrade to business class from UK to dubai (one way).

I wrote back basically telling them to shove that offer up their backside and asked for a upgrade to business to BKK return.

so where do I stand with this? is there any standard compensation for lengthy delays? or is it just a case of take the 25k and be done with it?

cheers

game

You are very lucky to be offered anything. I have had similar long delays with many airlines and never got compensation.

BA Hongkong/Bangkok delayed 14 hours no compenstation.

Perhaps you have not traveled much before?

cheers

game

I also fly with Emirates from Glasgow.

25,000 is the required amount of air miles for the first leg of the journey but remember you will have to pay an additional £40.00 Tax at Glasgow.

I remember once the plane was 3 hours late in leaving Dubai for Bangkok so I ask for compensation and I got upgraded to business class Bangkok to Glasgow on my next trip.

I do the round trip 2 times a year and I seem to get a lot of upgrades.

Keep at them.

This thailand travel forum is rapidly becoming a 'lets whinge and complain about XXX airline' where XXX can be any airline on the planet. Surely the moderators should try and swing this forum back in the direction of THAILAND travel, rather than just a whine from someone that had a delayed flight one day, sorry to the OP, but who CARES!! These things do belong in other places, but not here.

This thailand travel forum is rapidly becoming a 'lets whinge and complain about XXX airline' where XXX can be any airline on the planet. Surely the moderators should try and swing this forum back in the direction of THAILAND travel, rather than just a whine from someone that had a delayed flight one day, sorry to the OP, but who CARES!! These things do belong in other places, but not here.

I agree. Interestingly I thought it wasn't allowed to name and shame companies on here for legal reasons.

Anyways, the OP should take this up with one of the myriads of flyer forums on the web.

I disagree.

If people want to share their bad (or good) experiences to/from Thailand then this sub-forum (Travel) is the place to do it.

If 'ozfarang81' doesn't like it then he should stick to the 'Farming in Thailand' forum and enjoy himself with Thai related topics....

I disagree.

If people want to share their bad (or good) experiences to/from Thailand then this sub-forum (Travel) is the place to do it.

If 'ozfarang81' doesn't like it then he should stick to the 'Farming in Thailand' forum and enjoy himself with Thai related topics....

Mate your issues apparently are Glasgow related - irrelavant if the flight was going to the moon or Thailand. Perhaps a Glasgow forum would be more relevant.

I agree. Interestingly I thought it wasn't allowed to name and shame companies on here for legal reasons.

Anyways, the OP should take this up with one of the myriads of flyer forums on the web.

deary me - time of the month lads?

whinging? naming and shaming? well, you've lost me. I simply asked if there's a standard compensation for long delays. :)

Mate your issues apparently are Glasgow related - irrelavant if the flight was going to the moon or Thailand. Perhaps a Glasgow forum would be more relevant.

glasgow related? erm, no - emirates related. and no, Im not going to go to a flyer forum or a glasgow forum or an emirates forum or a lickmyballs forum when there's a perfectly good travel related sub-forum here.

besides, if you have no interest in this topic then pi55 off and read something else. :D

deary me - time of the month lads?

whinging? naming and shaming? well, you've lost me. I simply asked if there's a standard compensation for long delays. :)

glasgow related? erm, no - emirates related. and no, Im not going to go to a flyer forum or a glasgow forum or an emirates forum or a lickmyballs forum when there's a perfectly good travel related sub-forum here.

besides, if you have no interest in this topic then pi55 off and read something else. :D

Sorry, was somebody talking to you? No, then mind your own business or take a minute to convince everyone how this is remotely Thailand related?

This is Thailand Travel Forum, not bitch about delayed flight out of the UK Forum.

Hi Night Prowler

Wake up, you were lucky to receive any compensation, these days i can not believe what the human being expects from life, you got your flight, you arrived safely but a tad late, so be it

The perfect world is not out there open your eyes.

How this is remotely Thailand related?

This is Thailand Travel Forum, not bitch about delayed flight out of the UK Forum.

'bkkjames' what is the matter with you? Are you simple?

If you read the opening sentence of the OP's post (see above) you will see that the city of Bangkok is 'Thai related'.

This is a travel forum and posts about flights to/from BKK will obviously be relevent.

On the contrary my friend, part of the joys of traveling is the whinging, critiques, and whatnot. That shouldn't be a problem for anyone. What has always been a curio to ponder is the people that expect some sort of compensation for being inconvenienced by 'stuff' that happens - mechanical, weather, maintenance, etc. Surely, these days of cutbacks and tightening of belts throughout the airline industry, one can't expect such nice serviceable policies as many carriers have offered in the past. OK. Flights are delayed for one reason or another. These things more often than not. Get over it...

Travel is central to the lives of people who live in or vacation in Thailand, so it's only natural that there be a broad discussion about travel in general here. If it were complaints about the bus service in Chicago it would be one thing, but international flying is definitely on topic and a valuable discussion to the community here.

Try not clicking on topics you don't think fit. It works like a charm. :)

Emirates never reimbursed me for bumping me repeatedly off a Mumbai - Dubai flight. It was a confirmed and ticketed return portion of a paper ticket, departing on Tuesday.

I witnessed loads of 'agents' sidling up to the check-in desks with bundles of passports for the block-booked labour masses headed for the camel sh!t and dust. I called my US corporate travel agent (about 8 hours behind in Texas) and he repeatedly would get me confirmed on the flight, only for the Mumbai end to bounce me. After this happened about 4 times in 20 minutes, I went to their Customer Service desk who looked at my ticket and told me it was 'wrong'... So I pursued when the ticket would be 'right' and she said after a few minutes thought 'Friday'. Any compensation? No.

So after I got our UK corporate travel shop to get me out on Cathay the following day, I wrote to Emirates. I received a letter of concern saying my claims would be investigated. Two months later their final word came in a letter saying they could see nothing untoward or exceptional on that travel day. However, they didn't offer ANY sweetener or any hint of an apology for what may or may not have happened. Not a voucher, a lounge pass, an upgrade offer... NADA!

Emirates have never seen my arse on any of their seats since.

To the OP, use whatever they gave you.

Then fly ANOTHER airline.

Travel is central to the lives of people who live in or vacation in Thailand, so it's only natural that there be a broad discussion about travel in general here. If it were complaints about the bus service in Chicago it would be one thing, but international flying is definitely on topic and a valuable discussion to the community here.

Try not clicking on topics you don't think fit. It works like a charm. :)

Air travel is very important to me while in Thailand so I welcome any discussion about it, even with some whining. I could do with less whining about what should and should not be posted, but that's just my opinion. My experience with Emirates flying to THAILAND was poor and they never responded to any emails from me. I have never flown with them since.

Air travel is very important to me while in Thailand so I welcome any discussion about it, even with some whining. I could do with less whining about what should and should not be posted, but that's just my opinion. My experience with Emirates flying to THAILAND was poor and they never responded to any emails from me. I have never flown with them since.

I have found, and I expect many others have, that Airline quality varies over time.

Emirates, KLM and JAL are three examples of airlines that in just 5-6 years have gone from v.good to v.poor.

However, Singapore, Etihad, ANA and Malaysian are maintaining their standards.

Qatar Airways are O.K. if things go well, but if you encounter problems with cancelled/delayed flights/baggage then you are doomed.

I have quit Emirates too. These days there is a lot of good value choice UK-BKK return.

Something which I don't believe anyone has yet mentioned is that you often have some kind of 'gratis' travel insurance with credit and debit cards (depending on the bank and the card you have). It may be worthwhile looking into it as they claim to pay so much money for flights when they are delayed by a certain amount.

The reason they give this insurance is that very few people remember they even have it, let alone make any claims. It may be worth a few phone calls to find out.

As for getting anything from the airline. Good luck with that, in my experience they will just ware you down until you give up. The normal big faceless organisation where nobody is responsible.